Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Ancients (古代 Kodai?) are a group that appears in the Sonic Boom franchise. They were a long-lost benevolent race/civilization from several centuries ago who worked for the benefit for the world. However, they were betrayed by a rogue Anicent named Lyric, whom they imprisoned after a costly war.
In the centuries that followed, the Ancients would go nearly extinct, with the exception of Lyric. At the end of Lyric's conflict with Team Sonic, the current status of Lyric, and the Ancients as a whole, remains unknown.
The Ancients' true anatomy is unknown and ambiguous at best. In most of their depictions, their figures are hidden and illustrations of them are best up to interpretation. What can be conclude is that the majority of them resembled bipedal anthropomorphic animals with medium-long muzzles. Members like Lyric however, are much different, resembling giant and monstrous snakes.
Characteristics and culture
The majority of the Ancients were a good-natured and noble race who strived for peace and the greater good. They were devoted to peacefully controlling the world's resources and would willingly sacrifice their most previous and vital relics to protect the earth from villains seeking to abuse them.
It is hinted that the Ancients deeply respected the natural world, having lived in perfect harmony with nature despite their advanced technology. However, not all Ancients were inherently good. Lyric the Last Ancient for example, went mad with power and turned on his own kind to destroy all organic life in the world.
In Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, it is shown that the Ancients utilized a form of runic alphabets and/or glyph symbols as a writing system. In Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, the Ancients also used a secret, but similar system with emphasis on circles, arches and lines which even certain Ancients did not know about. This secret language has since seemingly been abandoned and only history buffs like Amy can translate it.
The Ancients were a highly developed people in terms of technological prowess. Even centuries ago, they knew how to construct high-tech robots and facilities, develop time machines and energy shackles, and accomplish immense feats of construction like floating cities. Despite the time that has passed since then, the Ancients' technology remains virtually unsurpassed by anything else in the present. Even Dr. Eggman had a hard time figuring out their more rudimentary machines. Also, despite being centuries old and unattended, their many creations remain functional, showing they were made to last. The Ancients were also a widespread civilization, having established several outposts and colonies across the seas and on Seaside Island. In addition, their architecture often incorporated their signature runes.
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
A millennium ago, the Ancients were an advanced civilization whose race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world's resources. Back then, they harvested all the energy they needed from their Chaos Crystals and lived in perfect harmony with nature. This era ended when an Ancient named Lyric got sick from experimenting on the Chaos Crystals and had to turn himself into a cyborg to survive when the Ancients' medicins failed. Blaming his peers for his condition, Lyric devoted himself entirely to technology. Going mad with power soon after, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of their resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, Lyric set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of metal and robots. This supposedly led to a great war which the Ancients were involved in. In the ensuring conflict, the majority of the Ancients died.
To stop Lyric's plan to power his Sentinel army with the Chaos Crystals, the Ancients hid their Crystals away in distant outposts and made a map to them, which Lyric later found. However, just before Lyric could successfully take over, the last surviving Ancients attacked Lyric after he got trapped in his weapon facility thanks to Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails during the duo's trip back in time, and imprisoned Lyric in a tomb where he was to remain forever. In recognition of Sonic and Tails' aid, the Ancient depicted them on Lyric's Tomb and equipped it with a lock only Sonic could open it.
In the centuries that followed, the Ancients would go extinct, the only exception being Lyric, and their once-great civilization ended up lost. However, the remains of their civilization would endure the test of time and become a source of interest for archeologists like Cliff, who would lead an excavation to uncover their history. When Lyric escaped a millennium after his imprisonment and resumed his plans, Team Sonic would get themselves acquainted with the Ancients' history and technology as they braved their forgotten outposts on their mission to stop Lyric. After Team Sonic beat Lyric, the fate of the last living Ancient remain unknown.
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
Five thousand years ago, the Ancients were an advanced civilization whose race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world's resources. Along with their technology, they possessed a crystal of unlimited power called the Lost Crystal of Power. However, a rouge Ancient named Lyric the Last Ancient, who coveted the Lost Crystal for himself, went mad with power, turned on his peers and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, Lyric set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of metal and robots. In the ensuring conflict, the majority of the Ancients perished.
Just before Lyric could successfully take over, he and his army attacked the last surviving Ancients to seize the Lost Crystal. However, the Ancients broke the Lost Crystal and used its shards to imprison Lyric forever. The Ancients knew Lyric would one day be free however, and so used this opportunity to hide the Crystal Shards.
Over the next five thousand years, Ancients would die out, the only exception being Lyric, and their civilization fell into obscurity. However, the remnants the Ancients, like their ruins and abandoned tech, would become a source of interest for history buffs like Amy, who discovered an encrypted Ancient manuscript detailing the Crystal Shards' whereabouts while investigating their ruins. When Lyric finally escaped in the present to find the Lost Crystal by kidnapping Amy for her knowledge on the subject, he was defeated by Team Sonic and Shadow the Hedgehog, the former who would get acquainted with the Ancients' locals and technology during their mission. Lyric's ultimate fate remains uncertain however.
The Ancients are said to have existed at the same time as the Granifier Giganticuses. Some of their legacy that would withstand the test of time would be remnants of their technology and ruins. After getting fired as an archaeologist, Charlie would steal a weapon he discovered at a dig site of an Ancient ruin for his own use.
List of creations by the Ancients
- Charlie's Mech Suit
- Crab Excavator
- Crystal Lock
- Cyclone Blaster
- Driller Worm
- Explosion Switch
- Destruction Troops
- Hydro Gate
- Mind Control Device
- Swarmer Hive
- Given that Lyric has been identified himself as a snake while other Ancients were revealed to look more like different anthropomorphic animals, it is possible that the Ancients as a race were actually constituted of multiple races of anthropomorphic animals. However, Steven Frost has stated that whether if the Ancients were a race or just a civilization is up to interpretation until the cartoon or future games would go into more specifics.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Sanzaru Games (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. Nintendo 3DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sonic's Shack - Comic prequel.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. “As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends.”
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Level/Area: Cliff's Excavation Site. "Cliff: He's the last surviving member of a long-lost civilization called the Ancients."
- ↑ Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Level/Area: Cliff's Excavation Site. "Cliff: Despite their advanced technology, the Ancients lived in perfect harmony with nature."
- ↑ Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Cutscene: Who is this Lyric Anyway?
- ↑ Sanzaru Games (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. Nintendo 3DS. Sega. Area/Level: Q-N-C's Toy Shop.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. Archived from the original on 4 October 2015. “In Sonic Boom™: Shattered Crystal, Amy discovers a secret ancient language and manuscript detailing the history and whereabouts of a Lost Crystal of Power. The evil and vile villain, Lyric, kidnaps Amy in his eagerness to get his claws on this long-forgotten power that has been hidden throughout the jungles and canyons of a mysterious new island.”
- ↑ Sanzaru Games (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. Nintendo 3DS. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence. "Lyric: Not until you tell me what those symbols say."
- ↑ Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Lyric's Tomb. "Dr. Eggman: So, I dug up these ancient robots, and it took me forever to figure out how to control them."
- ↑ E3 2014: Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric Stage Demo. Retrieved on 11 June 2014.
- ↑ Sonic Toon (Japanese). Inhabitants of the village: Cliff. Sega. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016.
- ↑ Tuber, Douglas; Maile, Tim (11 April 2015). "Sleeping Giant". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 21. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (7 November 2015). "Counter Productive". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 51. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (2 May 2016). Retrieved on 2 may 2016. “Alexander Soerensen: That ruin Charlie worked at in Counter Productive. Was that a ruin from the Ancients? / Bill Freiberger: Yes it was.”
- ↑ Steven Frost on Twitter. Twitter (27 April 2016). Retrieved on 27 April 2016. “Alexander Soerensen: Are the Ancients really a race as said on the Sonic Boom website? 'Cause SC and RoL put them more as a civilization. / Steven Frost: I reckon that's open to interpretation until the cartoon or future games get into more specifics.”