- You may be looking for the stage on this continent, Windmill Isle.
The national flag of Apotos
Greek cities, Mykonos
Unnanmed peninsula on Earth's equator
Apotos (アポトス Apotosu?) is a fictional location in Sonic Unleashed and first hub world of the game. This is the first continent Sonic the Hedgehog goes to after crashing during the opening and meets Chip.
Apotos is based on the Cycladic-styled architecture of Greek cities, and its windmills are derived from the Greek island of Mykonos. It also has a slight resemblance to the Greek city of Santorini. It is located on a peninsula on the same continent as Spagonia. This port town is well known for its ocean-side view, beautiful architecture, friendly people, as well as its Chocolate Chipped Cream Sundae Supreme.
After having been tricked into powering Dr. Eggman's Chaos Energy Cannon, been transformed into a werehog and rejected from the space station, Sonic crash-landed just outside Apotos. He then found Chip, who was unconscious and had suffered amnesia. Feeling responsible for Chip's aliment, Sonic set out to help Chip get back his memory back, and as well find out what Eggman did to both the world and to Sonic himself. From there, the two of them set out to find what happened to the world and ask people nearby if they knew who Chip was.
After finishing the Daytime stages in Windmill Isle, Sonic and Chip still had no luck for finding anyone who knew Chip. As the night falls, Sonic transformed back into his Werehog form, as the hedgehog finally figured out that whenever the nighttime arrives, he transforms into his Werehog from. Shortly after, as they made their way through the nighttime acts, Sonic and Chip found Miles "Tails" Prower surrounded by Dark Gaia's Minions, those in which Nightmares and Titans included. Once defeating those enemies, Tails was confront by Sonic and Chip, in which Tails was surprised at Sonic's Werehog appearance.
After Sonic had told Tails the story about the world shattering and Sonic gaining an appearance of a Werehog, Tails then told Sonic that he was in Apotos collecting data for Professor Pickle. Tails then connected Sonic's story with the strange energy that appeared after Eggman shattered the world, and urged Sonic and Chip to come with him to give the data back to Professor Pickle in Spagonia. Sonic and Chip agreed, and the three boarded the Tornado-1 to go to Spagonia.
- Flower Street
- Bell Square
- Windmill Coast Street
- Cafe Terrace
- Sacred Shrine (as Sonic the Hedgehog)
- Apotos is one of the two locations in Sonic Unleashed, which does not have a Gaia Temple, the other being Empire City.
- The Ice Cream vendor bears a striking resemblance to the shopkeeper, Morshu, from the Zelda CD-I game, Link: The Faces of Evil.
- In the Wii/PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed, Apotos' Sacred Shrine is the only one where Sonic is playable as his normal, hedgehog self, meaning it's the only temple that is playable in the daytime.
- The Kebabwhich from Apotos is based strongly off of a Gyro, a food dish native to Greece.
- The town resembles Mobodoon from Sonic Underground in architecture though decorated with jewelry (as Sonic Underground was created by several years before Sonic Unleashed, it is possible for Apotos to be inspired by Mobodoon in some way).
- In the Xbox 360/PS3 version of Sonic Unleashed during gameplay, there are some chain held signs that are written in Greek and say " Κρατήστε έξω", which in English means "Keep Out". In Greek there's not an exact meaning for the word "Keep Out" and it's also grammatically wrong and instead the sign should been saying "Απαγορεύεται η Είσοδος", which is the exact English translation is "No Entry".
Concept and Development
|Sonic Unleashed Locations|
|Adabat | Apotos | Chun-nan | Eggmanland | Empire City | Holoska | Mazuri | Shamar | Spagonia|