Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- ARE YOU READY FOR THE BOOM?! The NEW ONGOING SONIC COMIC BOOK SERIES from Archie Comics continues its frantic fun with Sonic Boom #3: Hammer Spaced! Amy’s most precious possession, her piko hammer, has gone missing! And if she can’t find it, her hammer won’t be the only thing she’ll lose! While the boys are on a hammer-hunting quest, Sticks tries to show Amy a new arsenal—but will she survive the experience?! Don't miss the exclusive tie-in comic to the new TV Show and Video Games from Sega, featuring cover art from Sonic comics legend Tracy Yardley and a special "TEAM SONIC" variant edition!
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Ryan Jampole (breakdowns), Jennifer Hernandez (finishes)
- Inks: Rick Bryant
- Colors: Matt Herms
- Letters: Jack Morelli
- Assistant Editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor/Executive Director of Editorial: Paul Kaminski
- Editor-in-chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Publisher: Jon Goldwater
- Special thanks to: Tyler Ham and Anthony Gaccione and the character business & licensing department of Sega
In Amy's House, Amy is crying over being unable to find her hammer. Tails, Knuckles and Sticks are worried, but Sonic is getting uncomfortable and suggests they could get her another hammer. However, Amy snaps and she shakes Sonic vividly while screaming that her hammer is who she is and without it, she is nothing. Sonic wonders where she last saw her hammer and Amy recalls it was on the beach when fighting the Big Boy, which makes her worry it is getting dirty. Tails suggests her hammer could be stuck on the Big Boy, meaning it is still clean, but it makes Amy more concerned as that means Dr. Eggman has it. However, the breaking point comes as Knuckles suggests her hammer could had fallen off the mech into the ocean, causing Amy to freak out over it being lost at sea. Had enough, Sticks sends Sonic, Knuckles and Tails out to find the hammer while she, uncharacteristically, calms Amy down. Sticks then tries to help Amy by letting her to try out her own arsenal to find a placeholder for her hammer despite Amy claims that nothing can replace it.
As a montage plays, the boys begin searching; Sonic investigates the sea, mountains, forests and caverns, Knuckles finds several inadequate objects, and Tails tries looking for Amy's Hammer at the local lost-and-found but without luck. Meanwhile, Sticks has Amy try out her Boomerang, but she utterly fails to throw it correctly.
Back at Dr. Eggman's lair, Dr. Eggman is ordering Orbot and Cubot to get the Big Boy repaired for its re-launch. While Orbot is irritated over being horsed around, Cubot suggests they try saying their names as intros since they are now in their first major scene. Despite Orbot insisting it is a waste of time since they are just henchebots, Cubot convinces him, but they fail to say it correctly. Downtrodden, Cubot rummage through the Big Boy's parts while reflecting on his efficiency as a lackey, where he finds Amy's Hammer. Taken in by the perfection of this weapon, Cubot declares it his own (his "precious"). Meawhile, Amy is trying out Sticks' staff as her next weapon, but fumbles around with it and ends up hitting Sticks and Knuckles when he checked in.
Back at Dr. Eggman's lair, Eggman is making preparation while Orbot finds Cubot playing around with Amy's Hammer like a guitar inside the Big Boy. As soon as Orbot recognizes the hammer, he insists they should give it to Dr. Eggman, but when Orbot refuses to hand it over, Orbot tries to take it by force. As the two fight and Eggman gets ready to take off, Orbot tells Cubot that it is their job as mostly-loyal henchmen to deliver Amy's Hammer to Eggman, but Cubot claims he just want it for himself, which persuades Orbot to seizing it for himself as he too finds it cool. Amidst their struggle, the hammer accidently turns off the Big Boy's warning alarms as Eggman boards it, and the doctor sets off in the unstable mech to attack Seaside Island. No sooner, as Orbot and Cubot is in a tug-of-war with Amy's Hammer, they lose their grip on it and it ricochets around the Big Boy's insides before shooting out of the mech's roof and towards Seaside Island. As a result of the damage the hammer caused, the Big Boy promptly falls apart with Eggman in it, where the doctor begrudgingly listens to his henchbots' excuses among the parts.
On Seaside Island, Sonic and Tails have looked all over the island without finding anything and are heading back. Just as Sonic is about to give up though, Amy's Hammer lands in his hand, much to their surprise. Amy, as she is trying out a mace, thanks Sonic for finding her hammer and Sonic notes how he saved the day, despite Tails attempt to correct him. With everything back to normal, Team Sonic return to their respective homes for the night. On her way though, Sticks finds a thing she says has "unimaginable power."
- Dr. Eggman
- Team Sonic
- Amy lost her hammer after the battle with the Big Boy in Sonic Boom #2, "Knuckleduster".
- The Big Boy is being repaired and upgraded from its battles in Sonic Boom #1, "Getting a Little Boulder Part One of... er... One" and Sonic Boom #2, "Knuckleduster".
- The Big Boy is destroyed. It would be repaired and upgraded again for Sonic Boom #4, "Sticks and Stones".
- Sticks finds the Rock of Justice. She would use it in Sonic Boom #4, "Sticks and Stones".
- When Cubot is rummaging through the Big Boy, he vaguely references all the characters who were Eggman's lackeys in previous Sonic-related media. He calls them "that chicken and drill-bot" (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog), "that pointy-nosed fella" (Sonic the Hedgehog television series and Sonic the Hedgehog comic series), "them dog-lookin' guys" (Sonic Underground) and "those gold and silver guys" (Sonic X).
- The logo used for part of the title of the story 'Hammer' is the logo design from the Sega Genesis game Columns.
- Cubot referring to Amy's Hammer as "his precious" or the "the precious" is a reference to the same quote said by Gollum in The Lord of the Rings series written by J. R. R. Tolkien.
- Sticks singing about making a tinfoil hat as she heads home might be a reference to the "Tinfoil Hat" toy which can be bought from Q-N-C's Toy Shop in the video game Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal.
- According to Ian Flynn, the first drafts of the story had Amy's Hammer say "piko" as a sound effect, prompting Eggman to go say "That was a weird noise." However, notes from SEGA said the hammer did not make that noise in the series, so it was taken out.
- Cubot saying "Higga! Hur-Gurk" while pulling out Amy's Hammer is a reference to the web series Red vs. Blue where the characters in the Blood Gulch Chronicles would say these words whenever they got possessed by a ghost.
- The title of this story is a reference to the hammerspace phenomenon, which is a fan-envisioned, extradimensional and instantly accessible storage area used to explain how fictional characters are able to produce objects out of thin air.
- Amy's House is miscolored brown, when it is actually pinkish purple with yellow straw roof.
- Amy's quote when shaking Sonic is a reference to the 1999 movie Mystery Men: "God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well."
In a full-page edition of the Off-Panel strip, Dr. Eggman is sitting in a chair nearby a fireplace, telling the reader that he had not expected to see them and that he was checking the fan mail for those singing his praise. He stumbles upon a letter to him, which compliments his mustache and fashion sense. He continues reading it out loud until Orbot appears, claiming that the letter looks like it is in Eggman's own handwriting. Eggman responds by cramming the letter into Orbot's body, but then notices they are out of time. He therefore tells the reader where to send more letters extolling his existence and notes that if they are worthy of him, they might be printed in the book.
- One of the letters which says "Why is Knuckles..." before Eggman stops reading it might be a reference to how Knuckles' redesign from his main series counterpart into his much more bulky appearance irked the fans.
- One of the letters says "Hawaiian shirt", a nod to a certain meme based on a fake post on 4chan about how Shadow was going to wear a shirt of those.
- Sonic: Besides, it's just a hammer. Tails can build you a new one, or we can--
- Amy: "Just" a hammer?!? I was my identity! It's who I am!!
- Sticks: Alright--you gonna calm down for a second?
- Amy: You *sniff* are tellimg me to calm down?
- Sticks: Yeah, I guess the Illuminati have been sedating my waffles lately. But that's not the point!
- Orbot: That's Amy Rose's signature hammer! It's a very powerful weapon! We must deliver it to the doctor right away!
- Cubot: You can't has the precioussssss!
- Orbot: Give it here!!
- Sticks: Huh... is that...? It is! I Knew it! Hahaha-- The Power! The unimaginable POWER--!!!
This issue has been reprinted in the following prints: