- The new ongoing Sonic comic book series from Archie Comics keeps on BOOMIN' with Sonic Boom #4: Sticks and Stones! Dr. Eggman's Big Boy mech has been refined into its final, deadly form. Sonic and his friends are on the ropes, but have no fear! Sticks has brought her secret weapon! It's a… wait, seriously? Sticks thinks that's going to help? Find out what her secret weapon is in the weird and wacky conclusion to the first story arc of the brand-new series Sonic Boom! Featuring cover art from Sonic art guru Tracy Yardley and an all-new 'Sticks-with-stones-being-chased-by-bones' variant cover from rising Sonic star Diana Skelly!
Sticks and Stones
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Ryan Jampole, Jennifer Hernandez
- Inks: Rick Bryant
- Colors: Matt Herms
- Letters: Jack Morelli
- Assistant Editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor/Executive Director of Editorial: Paul Kaminski
- Editor-in-chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Publisher: Jon Goldwater
- Special thanks to: Tyler Ham, Anthony Gaccione and the character business and licensing department of Sega
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy are enjoying some lunch on a sunny day, but are suddenly interrupted by Dr. Eggman, Orbot and Cubot in the Big Boy. Eggman is upset that, after upgrading his Big Boy mech three times, they were supposed to have their climatic battle on the beach an hour ago. Sonic does recall that theme of this story arc, but admits that they completely forgot about their battle. This depresses Eggman, but his sadness quickly turns into rage over their inconsiderate behavior and he starts firing missiles at them. Team Sonic dodge the missiles and decide to give Eggman the fight he wants. Meanwhile, the Fastidious Beaver and Comedy Chimp note how bothersome Eggman's frequent attacks are.
Team Sonic quick begin their attack, but soon find themselves at a disadvantage at the Big Boy's upgrades: Sonic's attempt to run up it for a Spin Dash is foiled by a build-in catapult spring, Tails is kept at a distance by anti-air guns, Amy cannot get close due to butt-guns and Knuckles is stomped into the ground by the mech in a familiar manner. The team start to realize that they might be in trouble, but then see Sticks nearby (briefly munching on the dropped food) who claims that she will save the day, as she has found the legendary weapon time had forgotten. This halts the fight and everyone (including Eggman) listens to her. Sticks explains that this weapon was forged in the era before time, when "good" and "evil" were in their infancy, to ensure the light would always be able to drive back the dark, and reveals the weapon to be the "Rock of Justice", a simple, plain rock, much to everyone's exasperation.
Eggman throws a tantrum over wasting his time with that, but Sonic promises they will get back to their fight. Sticks insists that she is not being crazy and that the Rock of Justice is genuine, but Amy tells her that it is not the time for that and that she should stay away if she is not going to help. Eggman ponders on whether he should go home after all these humiliations, but Orbot restores his determination after noting for far he has come and that Team Sonic need a villain menacing them. Meanwhile, as Team Sonic is on the ropes fighting the Big Boy, Sticks constantly pleas them to use the Rock of Justice. Tails and Sonic trying synchronizing with the Enerbeam and throw Sonic at the Big Boy, but it bounces him back with a built-in slingshot. Knuckles and Amy try their Hammer Throw maneuver, but the Big Boy deflects Amy with a giant tennis racquet.
Sticks has enough and decides to show the Rock of Justice's usefulness by throwing it at the Big Boy and something incredulously happens: the Rock of Justice bounces off the Big Boy and Amy's Hammer into the Big Boy's limbs where its bouncing destroys its innards. It then flies out of the Big Boy, but Knuckles knocks it back into it where it smashes its systems and central component, causing an implosion. At first, the Big Boy appears unharmed, but as Eggman tries reaching out for Team Sonic with the Big Boy, it falls apart, leaving Eggman, Orbot and Cubot on the floating remains of the Eggmobile. Sticks triumphantly holds up the Rock of Justice, but Eggman promises he will be back. However, Team Sonic scares him and his lackeys off.
Sonic congratulates Sticks and her Rock of Justice for saving them, while Amy apologies to Sticks for doubting her. Meanwhile, Knuckles and Tails are in awe of the weapon. However, Sticks discovers that the Rock of Justice used up all its power in the battle and the entire team mourns their loss. Sticks is taken back to her burrow by Amy and Tails, where Sticks, after giving her respects, casually throws the Rock of Justice into a pile of other rocks. Back at Dr. Eggman's lair, Eggman fumes over having wasted so much time on the Big Boy, but then shows to Orbot and Cubot that he already has a new invention ready for Sonic and his team.
- Team Sonic
- Dr. Eggman
- Fastidious Beaver
- Comedy Chimp
- Hammer Throw (First appearance)
- The Big Boy mech debuted in Sonic Boom #1, "Getting a Little Boulder Part One of... er... One".
- Dr. Eggman upgraded the Big Boy for his battle with Team Sonic in Sonic Boom #2, "Knuckleduster" and in Sonic Boom #3 during "Hammer Spaced".
- Team Sonic defeated the Big Boy in Sonic Boom #1, "Getting a Little Boulder Part One of... er... One" and Sonic Boom #2, "Knuckleduster".
- Knuckles was stomped into the ground by the Big Boy mech in the exact same way and pose in Sonic Boom #1, "Getting a Little Boulder Part One of... er... One".
- Sticks found the Rock of Justice at the end of Sonic Boom #3, "Hammer Spaced".
- Cubot notes how the Big Boy fell apart as it departed in Sonic Boom #3, "Hammer Spaced".
- Dr. Eggman added the anti-hammer armor to the Big Boy after Amy's Hammer destroyed it in Sonic Boom #3, "Hammer Spaced".
- After beating the Big Boy, the poses Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy stand in are reminiscent of the promotional artwork of them for the Sonic Boom franchise.
- The title of this story is an allusion to the children's rhyme "Sticks and Stones."
- When Team Sonic got ready to fight Big Boy once again in the beginning, Sonic's pose is similar to his artwork from Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.
- The way Tails falls down in exasperation after Sticks shows the Rock of Justice is a common gag in Japanese anime.
- This story marks the first appearance of the Enerbeam in the Sonic Boom comic series.
- This issue marks the second time in the Sonic Boom franchise in which Tails takes off his goggles (specifically, when Team Sonic mourns the inert Rock of Justice), the first being in "Translate This".
- This issue marks the second time in the Sonic Boom franchise in which Sonic is seen without his scarf (specifically, when Team Sonic mourns the inert Rock of Justice), the first being in "My Fair Sticksy".
- Dr. Eggman's quote at the end of the story "Get a load of this!" is the same quote said by his game counterpart in the boss battle with the Egg Viper in Sonic Adventure, which has since become a popular meme on the Internet.
- The mystics Sticks mentions in her story bare a striking resemblance to the Ancients from both Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal.
In a full-page edition of the Off-Panel strip, Amy greets the readers and begins to explain how fans can send in their letters and art. However, before she can reveal their address, Sticks bursts in and tells Amy horrified that she cannot give out their contact information as "they" would use it to get them. Amy asks what she means, and Sticks rambles about "them" and how "they" are spying on everyone. While Amy concedes you should be careful giving out personal information, she wonders how else the fans are going to send them their letters and artwork, the latter which Sticks objects, fearing that the art will be used as a method of stealing her soul. Ignoring it, Amy tells the readers where to send their letters and fanart. Just then, Sticks gets the idea that the fans could send her surveillance on the mail carrier for her house, who she is sure is up to something.
- Dr. Eggman: How could you be so inconsiderate??! You're supposed to be the heroes!! I even sent you all birthday cards!!
- Sonic: Yeah...and they were all bombs!
- Amy: And mine arrived a week late!
- Dr. Eggman: Details, details! WE'RE FIGHTING NOW!!
- Amy: Form up, guys! We'll take him down just like before!*
- Sonic: *See Sonic Boom #1 and #2!
- Editor's Note: *See...Hey, wait...
- Fastidious Beaver: Eggman seems to do this every day...
- Comedy Chimp: I know--I took out a policy because of him. Called it "assurance insurance".
- Dr. Eggman: B-but...I had Anti-Hammer Armor installed on the inside!
- Orbot: Ah, but not Anti-Rock Armor!
- Dr. Eggman: EEP! S-Sorry! I'll be going now!
- Orbot: Mercy!
- Cubot: Don't anger the rock!
- The variant cover and the sentence on it is an allusion to the children's rhyme "Sticks and Stones."