- “Race for the Stars”: It's a special tie-in event as Sonic Universe showcases Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed! Racers from across the Sega games have come together for the second annual All-Stars Grand Prix! But the nefarious Dr. Eggman has joined the roster and plans on not only conquering the race, but multiple worlds as well!! It's the first game crossover event in Sonic Universe history - and its ONLY available in this special stand-alone issue!
Racing for the Stars
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Tracy Yardley
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Steve Downer
- Letters: Jack Morelli
- Editor/Executive Director of Editorial: Paul Kaminski
- Assistant Editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor-in-Chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Special Thanks to: Aaron Webber, Anthony Gaccione, and Cindy Chau at SEGA Licensing
The second annual All-Star Racing Grand Prix is about to begin, and multiple racers, including Vyse, Beat, AiAi, Danica Patrick, and Miles "Tails" Prower have gathered. Excited for the races to begin, AiAi notices that Beat's original vehicle is absent, which the latter explains as freedom of expression. Vyse's description of his world amuses Tails, though this amusement is short-lived as Dr. Eggman suddenly arrives, much to the racers' dissatisfaction. Tails explains that the invitations for the current races had gone out to the same competitors from last time, and that including Eggman was only fair. Eggman delightedly declares that he plans on rewarding himself for winning the races with the conquest of every racer's world, adding that Sonic is absent.
On cue, the hedgehog makes his entrance with the Speed Star, his convertible, and surprises Eggman by bumping into his vehicle. Sonic states that his reason for being late was his inability to decide whether he wanted to race on foot or in a vehicle. Tails worriedly informs Sonic of Eggman's plan to conquer all the racers' worlds once he achieves victory. After Sonic calmly mocks the doctor, and instructs the other racers to start their engines, the race begins. Eggman "accidentally" knocks Tails and AiAi off-course, only for the two to activate their convertibles' flight mode. Grinning deviously, Eggman fires a barrage of missiles from his vehicle, which distract the other races long enough for the scientist to take the lead. As the race continues onto a body of water, Eggman tauntingly knocks Vyse away, only for Sonic to come to his aid. The doctor continues to take the lead, which worries Tails.
Sonic orders the other racers to take on Eggman by racing hard, fast, and together, to which they comply. Shifting to his convertible's flight mode, Tails catches up to Eggman, taunts him and lands on the track, giving Beat enough of a window of opportunity to taint Eggman's paint job by tagging it with his spray. This distracts Eggman long enough for Sonic and the others to speed ahead; though indifferent to this at first, Eggman quickly grows enraged. AiAi tries slowing Eggman down by driving in front of him, which causes the doctor to fire another barrage of missiles. Sonic and Vyse divert the missiles elsewhere with their own attacks, inadvertently causing the track to crumble beneath them and the other racers. Eggman taunts Sonic, but the hedgehog quickly catches up, followed by him and everyone else attacking the doctor's vehicle. A defeated Eggman flies off, and Sonic congratulates the other racers on their performance. However, Tails notices that no one explicitly saw who crossed the finish line first. Sonic decides the only way of settling that would be to race some more, and the issue ends with all the competitors, including Eggman, racing through Starlight Carnival.
A question is asked: "If it's a race, why is Sonic in a car?" A hypothetical race is shown with Sonic on foot, completing the race within a hundredth of a second, answering the question with "Because…then it's fair!" as Sonic holds a sign saying "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!"
- This issue was revealed after Sonic Universe #46 was revealed.
- This issue is a tie-in to the videogame Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.
- The story's title is a reference to the title song "Reach for the Stars" in Sonic Colors.
- It is the first game crossover event in the Sonic Universe comic book series.
- This is the first issue of Sonic Universe that is not in a story arc.
- This is the first Sonic Universe issue that features non-Sonic characters.
- To date, this is the first and only instance of a real-world celebrity appearing in an Sonic-related Archie Comics title, with the appearance of NASCAR racecar driver Danica Patrick.
- Danica Patrick's car is the only one that does not transform.
- The racetrack on the front cover is Dragon Canyon.
- The "sweet track" Sonic mentions at the end is Starlight Carnival, as seen on the next page.
- The last field Sonic and the stars play in is the Death Egg Zone.
- Eggman using the phrase "You're too slow!" is a nod to one of Sonic's taunts in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Each of the guest racers compares Eggman to a character from their home series. Aiai compares him to Dr. Bad-boon, the primary villain from Super Monkey Ball 2. Beat compares him to the Noise Tanks, a rival graffiti gang from Jet Set Radio consisting primarily of otakus with incredible tech skills. Vyse compares the doctor to Admiral De Loco, Valua's insane weapons researcher in Skies of Arcadia.