- Sonic Universe has reached 75 thrilling issues—and we're celebrating in style!
- "Fury": The race is on as Sonic chases down Metal Sonic for one of the sought–after Chaos Emeralds! But when their chase takes them to a very unexpected place, Sonic’s worth as a hero may be put to the test! Can Sonic win the day, secure the emerald and retain his sense of self by the end? As our journey to WORLDS UNITE crashes to a close, join us in celebrating the longest-running Sonic the Hedgehog spin-off comic in history with 7.5 variant covers from your favorite Sonic artists! Featuring cover art from Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, Tracy Yardley, Ben Bates, Tyson Hesse, SEGA Studios, Patrick Thomas Parnell, Lamar Wells, Evan Stanley and Jonathan H. Gray! To name a few!
In Crystal Desert Zone, Sonic, Tails, and Bunnie are chasing Metal Sonic, who has the Cyan Chaos Emerald. Sonic vows not to let Metal get away, since Eggman already has one emerald and that was bad enough. Nearby, the rest of the Freedom Fighters are at a G.U.N unit and are helping the soldiers from recovering. Sally gets a call from Rouge, who asks her what had happened. Sally reports that Metal Sonic attacked the unit and stole the emerald. Rouge comments that she should be present for any 'gem-centric' missions. Sally tells Rouge to send support for the wounded. Rouge asks about Metal Sonic, and Sally responds saying that Sonic, Tails, and Bunnie are after him. Meanwhile, Metal Sonic detects a Genesis Portal, and marks it as a possible escape route. Metal Sonic speeds up, and the gang try to catch up with him, Bunnie tries to shoot at Metal, but misses. Suddenly, a Genesis Portal appears, and Sonic tackles his metal doppelganger, causing both of them to go inside the portal.
They end up in the Burning Ruin Zone, where Sonic finds Silver closing the portal. Both are surprised to see each other, but Metal kicks Sonic hard and escapes. Silver comes to his aid, and Sonic tells him to grab Metal Sonic. Silver comments that he already left, and apologizes for not expecting both of them to come through the portal. Sonic is confused, and Silver explains that he was closing all the Genesis Portals that he could find, and with Metal Sonic stuck with them, he won't be able to escape. Sonic is disappointed in this, but Silver points out (with a hologram) that there are three budding Genesis Portals. Sonic asks if one of those portals will lead him back home. Silver says he had been closing a lot of portals, and most of them came from his world. As both run to find Metal Sonic, Sonic asks Silver why he would 'waste his time' closing the portals, and Silver fears that someone might get lost in them, to which Sonic agrees. Sonic tells Silver about the current events going on, just as the two reach the area where the portals are, much to Sonic's relief. Sonic plans to wait for Metal Sonic to detect the Portals, and then ambush him. However, Sonic rethinks his plan, since Metal is based on him.
The heroes were unaware that Metal was already behind them and the robot attacks them, just as the three portals start forming. As Metal heads for the portals, Silver stops him with his Telekinesis. But Metal Sonic uses his Black Shield to break free and taunts Silver. This proves to be a distraction, for Sonic arrives and kicks the emerald out of Metal's hands. Sonic tells Silver to find out where the portals go to, while he and Metal race for the emerald. The two try to get to the emerald, but before anyone could get to it, Silver snatches it with his telekinesis and taunts Metal Sonic. The robot is then hit by Sonic and kicked to the lava. Sonic asks Silver where the portals go to, and he points to the correct one. Sonic forms a new plan, just as Metal Sonic survives the Lava with his Burst Shield. Sonic taunts Metal, and the robot chases both hedgehogs to the portals. Silver wonders if antagonizing him is going to work, and Sonic explains that since Metal is based on him, he won't give up, just like Sonic, however, he adds that he does know when to stop running. The two hedgehogs dodge Metal Sonic as he goes into one of the wrong portals.
Metal Sonic ends up in the Distant Abyss Zone, and tries to go back to the portal, but is too late, for Silver had closed it. Back in the Burning Ruin Zone, Silver guides Sonic back to the right portal, and just before Sonic leaves, he asks Silver whether the Portals will be fixed. He responds with a question, if he told Sonic that he was destined to fail, would he give up? Sonic said he'd fight his destiny. Sonic then bids Silver goodbye, as he goes back to his world. Silver closes the portal, and wishes Sonic good luck, knowing that he could do it. He goes into the other portal, and ends up in a snowy world. Back in Crystal Desert Zone, Sally makes a plan to find the Genesis Portals. Before she could finish, a Genesis portal arrives in front of them, and Sonic comes out of it, with the emerald. Amy was happy to see Sonic again, but comments that he smells like a fireplace. Sally expresses her gratitude, as Sonic gives Tails the emerald, as he asks what happened to Metal, Sonic does not know, but they do not have to worry about him for a while. Antoine is concerned that the planet is still in pieces and that they have not found a single Gaia Temple. Bunnie tells him to focus on the small victories as Sonic agrees with her. He says that they are the Freedom Fighters, and they are qualified to handle anything.
Meanwhile, Eggman is annoyed that Metal Sonic is lost in another dimension. He asks Orbot for a sandwich, to which the robot complies, while saying that the real work can begin.
While having some chili dogs, Sonic asks Silver what will life be like in two hundred years. Silver refuses to say, and asks him for the mustard. Sonic pesters him to tell, then Silver says that in the future chili dogs will cost a thousand bucks a piece. This shocks Sonic, who squeezes the mustard bottle too hard, and he ends up getting soaked, while Silver uses his telekinesis to protect himself.
- Silver: Um...he's already gone. It looks like he's faster than you...
- Sonic: Lies and slander.
- Sonic: C'mon, we're teammates! Don't you always want to be by my side?
- Amy: I do, and I always will but I'm keeping my distance until you've showered!
- This issue has a total of eight variant covers, the largest number of any Sonic-related comics published by Archie Comics so far.
- Variant Cover 3 is based on the Japanese cover artwork of Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
- Variant Cover 6 pays a homage to the opening credits page of Sonic the Hedgehog #25.
- Variant Cover 6 exclusively features many of the characters featured in the comic since the reboot.
- Variant Cover 7 features Shadow, Sonic, and Knuckles, with their silhouettes containing current concerns for each in the comics' Sonic Unleashed adaptation:
- Variant Cover 7.5 plays on the the fact that it is "half of a special cover" (it is just the standard cover, but with Eggman having torn through it) and a play on the number 75.
- When Metal Sonic breaks free from Silver's telekinesis, he says "It's no use", a reference to one of Silver's lines in the game Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- When Silver takes back the Chaos Emerald, he says "You're too slow!", a reference to one of Sonic's taunt quotes in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- According to Ian Flynn, the events of this issue still occur in the continuity after the events of the Worlds Unite crossover is self-retconned, the only exception being the final scene of Eggman on the Lost Hex, as the Doctor decides after the retcon that he would hold off on the invasion for a while.