- Sonic and Princess Sally reunite for the first time since Sonic was divested of his knighthood, but it's not quite what the heroic hedgehog had in mind. Ironically, it all takes place in that mechanized metropolis of Robotropolis, but that's not the most shocking surprise: the bittersweet reunion is made even more so by the loss of one of Knothole's own.
Welcome to the Dark Side
- Plus: another thrilling Knuckles back-up story by Ken Penders! The recent exploits and intrigue of Knuckles collide in one combustible story, as Knuckles faces off against Dmitri and the Dark Legion. The fact of literally everyone on Mobius hangs in the balance, not to mention Knuckles' family and friends, helplessly trapped in another zone.
- Writer: Karl Bollers
- Pencils: Ron Lim
- Inks: Andrew Pepoy and Pam Eklund
- Colors: Stephanie Vozzo
- Letters: Jeff Powell
- Editor & Art Director: J. F. Gabrie
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Doctor Eggman has just gained the ability to Roboticize with a single touch. He used his newfound ability on Cheddermund to perfect results. In the Great Forest, Sally Acorn is at the mercy of the insane former warlord Kodos. Sally manages to escape from Kodos to find the Sword of Acorns, with Kodos in hot pursuit. After finding out about what happened to his people, Nate Morgan decided to go to Robotropolis and warn the overlanders about the deadly toxins they were being exposed to by Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog finds Tails and Rotor Walrus waking up from the injuries that they received from Kodos. Sally is still running away from Kodos while trying to get the sword and finds the location where Uma Arachnis hid it, with Sonic closing in to try and rescue her. Kodos finds her and slashes his claws, making her lose her balance and fall off the cliff. Sonic sees her fall as he arrives. Kodos tries to surprise Sonic, but Bunnie Rabbot, Antoine D'Coolette, and Tails fight him while Rotor tries to comfort his friend.
Bunnie knocks Kodos out, as they mourn their loss. Sonic decides to go after her when a bright flash of light appears from the bottom of the ravine. Sally who is surrounded by a blue aura rises up from the bottom of the ravine to the everyone's shock. A now awake Kodos tries to attack Sonic, but Sally, as the sword's vessel, uses its magical abilities to stop Kodos, sending him plummeting over the ravine to his death
Sonic and Sally's reunion which is cut short by Mina Mongoose showing up telling the Freedom Fighters that Nate went to Robotropolis. Nate arrives at Robotropolis and is met by Eggman. Eggman then proceeds to ask Nate a question as to why Roboticized Overlanders become statues while Mobians retain their movement. It was at this moment that Sir Charles Hedgehog and Muttski reveal themselves and help Nate escape.
The Freedom Fighters arrive at Robotropolis and split up into two teams. Sonic speeds ahead to try and find Nate. A mob of Shadowbots find Nate and Sir Charles, but are quickly defeated by Sonic. Sonic and Uncle Chuck have a quick reunion, while Sally Rotor, Bunnie and Antoine find the Robians. Sally then uses the Sword of Acorns to restore their free will.
Sonic manages to destroy a Shadowbot Mech but everyone is trapped by Robotropolis’ energy dome. Eggman then proceeds to gloat about capturing Sonic and the escaping Robians; however he is interrupted mid rant when the energy dome begins to fluctuates and go off line. This allows Sonic and the freed Mobians to escape Robotropolis. It is when Sonic was telling Nate that they would organize a rescue of the overlanders left behind that he realizes that Nate isn’t with them. Eggman goes to check on Snively who was supposed to be manning the Dome’s power generator, and finds Nate Morgan, who sabotaged the generator to allow his friends to escape. With but a mere touch, Eggman roboticizes him.
Welcome to the Dark Side
- Writer, Pencils & Inks: Ken Penders
- Colors: Frank Gagliardo
- Letters: Vickie Williams
- Editor: J. F. Gabrie
This backup story begins with a very quick recap of Dimitri and Chaos Knuckles' shared history from the rejection of Dimitri's plan to lower the Floating Island to his defeat at the hands of Mammoth Mogul. After the history lesson is over, Knuckles demands that Dimitri restore Echidnaopolis back to the island and undo what he has done. It is at this point that Dimitri reminds Knuckles exactly what is at stake, and has Julie-Su brought up to the bridge. Dimitri then makes Knuckles an offer to return Echidnaopolis in exchange for Knuckles joining the Dark Legion. Julie-Su tells Knuckles not to do it, to which Dimitri questions why. After all they're not the villains they've been made out to be.
So the Dark legion begins the process of restoring Echidnaopolis to the island, but in doing so they also free Tobor and Kragok. The two end up fighting each other to the death and damage the Quantum Canon, the Dark Legion’s only means of restoring Echidnaopolis to its rightful place. Rather than be discouraged by the loss of the canon, Dimitri makes Knuckles another offer. Join the Dark Legion and he will teach Knuckles how to use his chaos powers to bring Echidnaopolis back. Knuckles accepts the bargain and formally joins the Dark Legion.
- Eggman is able to roboticize people with a simple touch.
- Kodos dies, and Arachnis is declared deceased.
- Overlanders are revealed to become frozen like statues when roboticized.
- The Robians are freed from Eggman's control.
- Nate Morgan is Roboticized.
- Tobor sacrifices his life to take down Kragok by smashing themselves into the Dark Legion Battle Cruiser.
- Knuckles joins the Dark Legion.
- Cheddermund: P-Please... I beg of you... I have kids...
- Dr. Eggman: Somehow I just can't seem to care.
- Dr. Eggman: I'm so glad you could make it, Nate. Your a scientist, aren't you? I'm flummoxed! Perhaps you can tell me why is it that Roboticized Overlanders are inanimate and statue-like while subservient fur-balls retain their mobility?
- Sir Charles: Perhaps we don't know when to give up Robotnik!
- Nate Morgan: I've been expecting you Robotnik...
- Dr. Eggman: You'll pay for this, little man.
- Nate Morgan: (his last words) I know...
- Dimitri: You of all people, should know we've never been the villains his people have taken us for.
- This is the series' fourth milestone issue. It is also the first milestone issue to not have a special colored border.
- The title "Welcome to the Dark Side" could be a reference to Star Wars.
- When Sonic says "I wasn't fast enough, Rotor...", "Rotor" is misspelled as "Roter".