Home (Part 1 of 4): The Blue Blur Returns
- The first entry in a four-part epic finds Sonic back from his adventure in outer space-and just in time, too, as the Kingdom of Acorn and the Empire of Robotnik are about to collide head-on in their monumental struggle to control Mobius! How will everybody react to Sonic's "return from the dead?" How will Sonic react to all the changes that have occurred during his absence? If you read only one Sonic comic in this lifetime, make it this one!!!
Home Part One: The Blue Blur Returns
- Words: Karl Bollers
- Pictures: J. Axer (pp. 1–3) and Steven Butler (pp. 4–24)
- Inks: Michael Higgins (pp. 1–12) and Jim Amash (pp. 13–24)
- Colors: Jason Jensen
- Letters: Michael Higgins
- Editor: J.F. Gabrie
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Sonic the Hedgehog is traveling in his space ship back to Mobius, and crashes in the Great Forest. Sonic is overjoyed at being back with the green bushes and warm sun, but then notices thick black smoke just beyond the trees. Sonic makes his way over to a village, where the huts are burning. The citizens are surrounded by SWATbots and are at their mercy. A stumbling vicar marries Geoffrey St. John and Hershey Cat on the spot. Dr. Eggman (on a monitor) does not care for their marriage and intends to burn one of his own villages for hosting the spies. Dr. Eggman is about to command A.D.A.M., controlling a SWATbot, to kill them when it is destroyed by Sonic. Everyone is shocked at Sonic's reappearance. Sonic is surrounded by the remaining SWATbots, but destroys them all. Everyone cheers for Sonic; Hershey runs to hug him and Geoffrey congratulates him. Geoffrey explains that after the threat of the Xorda, everyone thought Sonic was dead, and Dr. Eggman declared war on the Kingdom of Acorn. Hershey explains that Eggman has amassed the atomic arsenal to prove it. Sonic runs to warn Knothole before it is too late.
In New Megaopolis, Dr. Eggman is confused by how Geoffrey and Hershey escaped and why his SWATbots were destroyed. A.D.A.M. provides answers to him showing the last recorded image, which is of Sonic. Eggman tries to remain calm but instead screams through the whole city. Mecha Robotnik asks who Sonic is, which Eggman announces him as "a-numero uno". Eggman stumbles also that he deleted all files on him, thinking he was dead.
Sonic makes it to Knothole in less than an hour, but is shocked how different it is after his six weeks in space. Sonic asks a little girl what day it is, which she tells him it is "Wednesday". Sonic shakes her for an answer on how long it has been since the Xorda attacked and she answers back one year. Sonic, confused as how long has passed, asks her for directions to Castle Acorn. The guards of Castle Acorn are also confused of his presence and let him in "for a living breathing legend". Knuckles the Echidna, with the Chaotix, is discussing with King Maximillian and Queen Alicia, that they can liberate Eggman's forces on Angel Island. Both disagree with Knuckles, because they need to keep them in Knothole for they do not know what Eggman's new plan is. Sonic comes in saying he knows. Knuckles and the Chaotix are amazed Sonic is alive, as Sonic is glad that Knuckles is too. Sonic bows to the king and tells them that Eggman has got an atomic arsenal right at his fingertips. Uncle Chuck runs in (informed by the guards of Sonic) and hugs him, crying over the fact that he is alive, and goes to send Sonic's mother and father to see him. Sonic then turns to the king and queen and asks where Sally is.
After finding out Sally is at Sonic's heroic statue, Sonic approaches her from behind and both share a kiss. Soon, they are surrounded by reporters and cameramen, but the Royal Army Guards take them away. Both arrive back at Castle Acorn with a crowd of Sonic's friends and family. Amy Rose, Tails, Rotor Walrus and Bunnie Rabbot are happy to see him, with Tails shoving him to the ground. Jules picks Sonic up and Bernadette hugs him. "Antoine" shows no emotion of Sonic's arrival and only salutes him. Sonic starts to wonder what made him so grim and how he got the scar.
At Command Central, Rotor shows Sonic the Technolotree, where they can speak with anyone on the globe. Rotor sets up a communication with the President of Station Square, where he wants G.U.N. to strike New Megaopolis. Sonic believes there's another way, but the President thinks it's about time they played "hardball". The transmission is cut off and Eggman appears onscreen. Eggman cannot wait to see Sonic dead and buried once again, and he reveals his new plan: Operation: Triple Threat. One move is having his robot horde penetrate Robotropolis' shield and spread the radiation trapped inside across the planet, and the other two being a battleship with one missile being launched at Knothole and the other at Station Square. Eggman then persuades them to "tackle it".
- This is the first issue in the series to depict Sally with long hair. This would continue until Sonic the Hedgehog #177.
- The Antoine that appears in the issue is actually Patch D'Coolette, the Anti-Antoine, in disguise. This would not be explained until Sonic the Hedgehog #150.
- The first page resembles the beginning of a Star Wars movie. Knothole also resembles the tree villages of Endor from the movie Return of the Jedi.
- This is the first issue to feature Bunnie's new look: a brown jacket with a cowboy hat, as well as Rotor's new look consisting of glasses and brown jacket, equipped with a utility belt.