Gorilla Warfare/The Apes of Wrath
- Robotnik travels to Skoal Island and finds one of his original bots: King Gong, a giant, 800 ton gorilla! He then sends the big ape to Mobotropolis to attack Sonic and the Freedom Fighters! But it seems that King Gong's interests lay instead with Sally...
Cover Corner Box
Tails is lying in a bed as someone outside the panel says "Say Goodnight, Tails!" and Tails responds by saying "Goodnight Tails!"
Gorilla Warfare or The Apes of Wrath
As the Knothole Freedom Fighters puzzle over Robotnik's recent lack of activity , Robotnik arrives on a tropical island with a hunting party composed of Snively and several robots. After discovering a massive footprint, Robotnik explains the goal of their quest: to find his first robotic creation. After being activated, the robot revolted, leaving Robotnik and making its way to the island. The creature, revealed as King Gong, then makes its appearance to the hunting party. After appeasing the hungry machine with bananas, Robotnik reveals his intentions to use King Gong to destroy Sonic and the Freedom Fighters.
Back in Knothole, the Freedom Fighters set out for a picnic, unaware that Robotnik has shipped his "son" to Robotropolis. Dispatched to attack Sonic, King Gong attacks the picnic, only to be challenged by an irritated Sally. However, instead of driving the beast off, Sally inadvertently attracts its romantic interest. Dispatching Sonic, King Gong grabs Sally and heads for Robotropolis, forcing the Freedom Fighters to ready their biplane. King Gong and Sally then climb to the top of Robotropolis' highest building, where Gong attempts to woo Sally by showing her the sunset. Sonic and the other Freedom Fighters arrive, and after freeing Sally send King Gong plummeting by spraying him with banana oil, causing him to slip and fall to the streets below, resulting in his destruction. As Robotnik mourns his fallen "son", Sonic admits that he understands why King Gong went after Sally, given his own interest in her.
Sally's Crusade - Part One: First Star I See Tonight
Alone at night, Sally picks petals off a flower in "he loves me, he loves me not" fashion. Discouraged, she thinks back on her happy childhood with Sonic and her father, King Maximillian Acorn. The happy memories don't last, as thoughts of Robotnik's take over and her father's disappearance come to mind.
Sally starts crying, wishing she could have a magic wand to wipe her problems away and said to herself how much she missed her father, when quite suddenly, an object falls out of the sky and lands heavily in the distance, prompting Sally and the other Freedom Fighters to investigate. Upon reaching the crash site, they discover a mysteriously glowing orb, which Sally thinks may be the answer to her dilemma.
- Robotnik's first robotic creation, King Gong, is revealed, but then destroyed.
- NICOLE, though unseen, arrives on Mobius Prime.
- This issue's first story is a parody of King Kong
- This issue made the first appearance of King Max. Although he was mentioned before, this was the first time he appeared in an issue, although it was only for one panel and he had no dialogue.
- This is the first issue to contain a story which fully focuses on a character other than Sonic.
- Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 17 at Mobius Encyclopedia, the Archie Sonic wiki