- "Truth of the Heart": Just in time for Valentine's Day, we ramp up the romantic intrigue... but don't worry, as always the stakes are high in the world of Sonic! As more of Fiona Fox's mysterious past is revealed, Sonic must face shocking secrets that will leave him torn between his new girlfriend and the friends he has loved and fought for all these years. Not only that, but one of her revelations sets off a series of events that will lead to one of the most senses-shattering cliffhangers in years! Which of Sonic's allies will be pushed to the brink? This is one issue you won't want to miss! SCRIPT: Ian Flynn. ART: Tracy Yardley (pencils) and Jim Amash (ink). PLUS: "Worth the Effort": Sabrina the Teenage Witch artist lends her artistic talents to Sonic the Hedgehog as Amy gets trained by one of the best warriors ever, Knuckles' girlfriend Julie-Su. But will Amy's infatuation for Sonic put both of them in danger?
Truth from the Heart
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Artist: Tracy Yardley
- Inker: Jim Amash
- Letterer: John Workman
- Colorist: Jason Jensen
- Editor: Mike Pellerito
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in chief: Richard Goldwater
- Special Thanks To: Robert Leffler and Dyna Lopez at Sega Licensing
Outside Freedom HQ, Amy runs and lunges at Fiona Fox with her hammer, with Fiona asking what was going on. Amy then revealed the reason why she was upset: she was looking for Sonic and thought he was with Fiona. She then confronted and asked Tails, but he told her about her dark secret: she had been cheating on Sonic with Scourge the Hedgehog. While dodging blows, Fiona admitted that she and Sonic were not in a serious relationship, though she briefly slipped in a smug grin before jumping and landing on top of Amy's hammer and telling her Sonic would not believe her anyway. To the surprise of both, Sonic (who had been watching the scuffle) casually butted in and told Fiona that he wanted to talk.
As they walked, he confronted her about lying and her disappearances. She became indignant at first, but then faltered when Sonic pointed out that she had suddenly taken an interest in him after Scourge's impersonation of him. Scourge then showed up, telling Sonic he had caught on to the charade. Fiona then admitted that when she knew about the switch, she had tried to find the same attraction in the real Sonic and thus began to date him. Unfortunately, she found him too much into the "hero thing." Scourge then taunts Sonic, bringing up his failed love lives, one after the other, finishing by mocking Amy.
Tails suddenly intervened, begging Fiona not to date Scourge, and trying to appeal to her good nature. She gently tells him that despite his intellect, he didn't realize one thing - "you can't count on anybody." before slapping him across the face, which Scourge laughs at. Sonic immediately runs to Tails, who just tells Sonic to "just get em'." Fiona then cited Sonic of his abandonment of her back in the mining camp. An enraged Sonic protested and charged at Fiona, but is suddenly attacked by Scourge, who despite admitting his past relationships, liked Fiona because she chooses to be with him and evil. Sonic attacked him with a spin attack, but Scourge ducked away, causing Sonic to end up under a broken tree. He then confronted his counterpart, saying that the two were no different and that all it would take for Sonic to become evil was "one bad day". Sonic then trips Scourge, countering that Scourge would be just like him if he showed "a little bit of decency". Scourge was rendered speechless by this, but suddenly Fiona appeared and kicked Sonic away. While helping Scourge up, she calls Sonic weak and that it's all about "survival of the best" before being interrupted by Amy and Tails, who teamed up against the two. Outnumbered, Fiona and Scourge then left the scene via Warp Ring. Tails felt dismayed by Fiona's departure but admitted that he could always count on Sonic and the others to do what's right. However, he suddenly runs off, saying he needed to see his mother before showing signs of sorrow. Antoine then appears, asking what is wrong with Tails and Sonic explains Fiona's betrayal to him. Antoine then says he too has something important to take care of and walks away, with Sonic and Amy wondering what he means...
Worth the Effort
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Tania del Rio
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Letters: Teresa Davidson
- Colors: Jason Jensen
Early morning at Freedom HQ, Julie-Su passes Vector asleep on the sofa. Julie-Su heads to Amy's Room and wakes her up. Amy, tired from just waking up, follows Julie-Su on their personal training course. Julie-Su getting Amy into a run to wake her up, Amy unknowingly falls into a nearby river, waking her up. Amy then argues with Julie-Su, wanting to change her wet clothes and boots. Julie-Su refuses and continues Amy's training.
Hours later, Julie-Su gives Amy a pole training fight to help her acrobatic skills. Amy attempts to hit Julie-Su with her hammer, but Julie-Su easily avoids. Amy loses her balance as Julie-Su attacks, but Amy swings her hammer, claiming she was 'playing possum'. Julie-Su lands on her hammer with her foot close to Amy's face and Amy calls time-out. Julie-Su then asks Amy why she wants the training. Amy tells her that she wants to be the best Freedom Fighter to make Sonic notice her and become his equal, like Knuckles with Julie-Su. Julie-Su then goes on to tell Amy that she doesn't need to change herself for Sonic, but Amy takes this differently and tells her that when she's the best Freedom Fighter, Sonic will be good enough for her. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles arrive on the scene and invite Julie-Su and Amy to help them take down Dr. Eggman. Julie-Su and Amy set off with them, Amy preparing to get Sonic's attention, but Sonic only notices "the smell of wet feet".
- Sonic seems particularly angered when Scourge informs him that he spent time considering Amy as a girlfriend interest. Part of this may be because Amy is just 12 years old, while Scourge and Sonic are 17.