|Sonic the Hedgehog #200|
- “Turnabout is Fair Play”: The epic anniversary issue you’ve been waiting for is finally here! Back in Sonic #50, Sonic managed to win against his arch-rival, Dr. Robotnik. In Sonic #175, the doctor got his revenge! Now they duel for the fate of the world! Will freedom come to Mobius? Or will the Eggman Empire rule forever more? Place your bets – but be ready for the startling conclusion! Don’t miss this cranium-creasing, brain-bending, mind-blowing saga!
Turnabout is Fair Play
Sonic and Dr. Eggman face each other in the chamber, with Dr. Eggman telling Sonic that he has been a pain for too long and that it ends today. Sonic just shrugs him off, as the doctor then tells Sonic to pay attention to him, and not sass him, once again proclaiming himself the smartest man on the planet. He then goes on to say that his word is law because he conquered all of Mobius. He mentions the coup, to prove what his superior intellect wrought, and then he brags about his ultimate victory when he razed Knothole to the ground.
Sonic starts to point out a couple of things to Eggman that he missed, namely, the times the Freedom Fighters had beaten him. Eggman doesn't care to listen to Sonic’s prattle and begins to attack him. But Sonic dodges every attack, and while doing so takes every single point that Eggman made against him the last time they dueled and shoves them right back in his face. Eggman is furious at this, yelling about how he overcame all those obstacles and returned triumphant. Sonic ignores him, while dodging Eggman’s machine, and keeps talking about Eggman’s failures.
Running as fast as he can, Sonic keeps ragging on him, pushing through each and every excuse that Eggman comes up with for his failures. He dodges every attack that Eggman throws at him, mentioning how Eggman really controls nothing on this planet that he “rules”.
Eggman slices in his direction, but Sonic just jumps out of reach. He admits that Eggman did beat him the last time they fought, but then reminds him about all the times that the opposite occurred. With each and every single insult he spin dashes the Egg Tarantula, knocking it all over the place, until finally landing on the cockpit's windshield and telling Eggman that he will defeat him again.
An enraged Eggman then fires a grappling hook from the rear of the Egg Tarantula towards the ceiling. He declares that he will defeat Sonic once and for all and sends the Egg Tarantula into a spin in mid-air. With the tips of the legs sending sparks against the side of the walls, Sonic runs on top of each one and slices the rope holding the mech to the ceiling.
Sonic gets hit by one of the legs, but recovers into a spin dash once he sees the weak spot in Eggman’s design. In a stubborn move by the mad dictator, he turns the Egg Tarantula upright, blocking Sonic’s attack. Sonic then starts running, deciding that Eggman has chosen to do things the hard way as usual. He leads Eggman up the shaft then jumps going over the forward moving Egg Tarantula and, using a series of spin dashes, he proceeds to bounce the mech into mid-air and saws it into oblivion.
With the mech shattered, Eggman falls to the ground hard while Sonic lands gracefully on his feet. Sonic wipes the sweat from his brow while holding Eggman's glasses, commenting on the tough fight. Eggman doesn’t hear him, he’s shaking all over. Sonic then taunts Eggman one more time, saying: “I win.”
With those two words spoken by Sonic, Eggman screams to the heavens, his black eyes and glowing red pupils wide. He shakes violently all over, muttering nonsense, ripping off his mustache screaming while Sonic watches in horror. Having lost all sense of control, Eggman launches himself at Sonic with his fists swinging, but misses and falls to the ground in a fit of rage.
Sally then walks in on the disturbing scene, telling Sonic that Mighty and Bunnie pulled the doors apart. Her look isn’t filled with joy at the defeat of their oppressor, but confusion and worry as she sees the mad doctor on the ground. She asks Sonic what he did, but he just tells her that he just beat him and that was all. Snively then walks in and explains to the heroes that Sonic didn’t just beat Eggman, but "broke him," claiming that the numerous defeats the doctor had suffered had driven him to madness.
Sonic and Sally don’t quite know what to make this turn of events, so Snively tells them that they have won and that they can go home and have their fun, while his uncle will be in his care. The Freedom Fighters and the Chaotix then enter the room to see the scene and begin to celebrate Sonic’s victory. NICOLE, having broadcasted the whole event to New Mobotropolis tells the heroes that there’s dancing in the streets, and the city is abuzz with the victory.
While walking out of the Eggdome, Tails and Amy excitedly try to get all the details from Sonic about how he beat Eggman, but Sonic answers half-heartedly, his mind elsewhere, much to their concern. Sally then sends Tails and Amy off to help Rotor and talks to Sonic about what happened. Sonic tells her that he doesn’t know what to think. He didn’t expect the end to happen like this and doesn’t know what to do. She tells him that it’s time for him to move on to the next adventure. After that, the heroes race off back to their home to celebrate their victory, but...
Back in the Eggdome, Eggman is in a padded room wearing a straitjacket. Snively tells him all about his plans, and how he’s in charge now. He leaves his uncle to stew once news arrives that he his love has arrived at long last.
On the roof, Dimitri is overseeing the landing procedures for Regina’s blimp, when Snively arrives. He comments to Snively that his choice to serve the Iron Queen had better be worth the trouble, to which Snively replies by assuring him that it is. With a cheerful smile on his face Snively proclaims for all to see the arrival of their glorious new leader...none other than the Iron Queen.
- Eggman: (as his Egg Tarantula is destroyed) I--HATE--THAT--HEDGEHOG!!!
- Sally: (after she enters the chamber and sees Eggman) Sonic...what did you do to him?
- Sonic: I just beat him like always...
- Snively: (as he enters the chamber) More than that. You didn't just beat him this time, Sonic. You broke him.
- Snively: Dark Egg Legion! Allow me to introduce you to our new masters! Bride of the Four Houses! Ruler of the Iron Dominion and now the Eggman Empire! THE IRON QUEEN!
- Sonic and Dr. Eggman begin their "final battle".
- Eggman loses his sanity after he is defeated by Sonic.
- Snivley meets Regina F, who is revealed to be the Iron Queen, in person for the first time along with her subordinates, including her "husband", the Iron King.
- This is the series's eighth milestone issue.
- This issue marks the reappearance of the Iron Queen since her last appearance in StH: #60.
- This was the first time Eggman was shown without his glasses, revealing his black eyes with red pupils similar to what Robotnik Prime had.
- This is Conquering Storm's first appearance in the comics. Her name was confirmed by Ian Flynn in a spoiler tease on his forum.
- This issue contains a letter from editor Mike Pellerito, who revealed that Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante hid a secret message in the webs of the cover of StH #95. Fans have strived to find out what the message is but have yet to decipher it. No further information has been released about it. However, the message likely has to do with Uma Arachnis, as that issue featured the character, and evidence in recent issues suggests she was a member of one of the four Clans.
- This issue was once sold along with 2 Sonic toys released from Jazwares: Knuckles and a translucent Sonic.
The toy company Jazwares released this issue with 2 exclusive 3 inch Sonic action figures. The Figures included were Knuckles and a clear blue version of Sonic. These two figures were not available in any other packaging. This pack was an exclusive offer at Toys R US stores and on Toysrus.com .