Ivo Robotnik, Freedom Fighter!
- Robotnik's attempt at trying to roboticize Rotor goes awry when he and the Freedom Fighters are sucked into the spaceship of Carheem, a giant interplanetary scientist who has no plans on letting the FF's go and places them inside an ecological holding capsule for further study!
- Tails has left a power ring in Robotropolis without Sonic knowing. Antoine being the showoff he is decides to retrieve it, but Bunnie comes along to help.
Cover Corner Box
Tails says "Just burst my bubble, too!" after having a bubblegum bubble burst in his face.
Ivo Robotnik, Freedom Fighter!
- Writer: Angelo DeCesare
- Pencils: Dave Manak
- Inks: Rich Koslowski
- Letters: Mindy Eisman
- Colors: Barry Grossman
- Editor: Scott Fulop
- Managing editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
After discovering several farmer ants in his shoes, Sonic returns them to Rotor, who keeps them in an ant farm to observe their behavior. Unbeknownst to the Knothole Freedom Fighters, they themselves are being observed by Robotnik and Snively, who discovered them as they gathered medicinal berries near Robotropolis. Attacking the Freedom Fighters with a portable Roboticizer, Robotnik is about to hit Rotor when the entire group is pulled up into a giant metal hose descending from a large spaceship. Arriving inside, they are greeted by the massive alien Car-Heem, who introduces himself as a scientist and collector who intends to study the captured Mobians.
Deciding that they can't allow Robotnik, who has angered Car-Heem, to be destroyed, the Freedom Fighters convince Car-Heem that he's part of their group, a concept that intrigues the solitary alien. Placing them in a recreation of the Great Forest, he leaves them alone. Over the course of the next several days, they make plans to escape, convincing Robotnik that he needs to act like a Freedom Fighter to avoid being disposed of by Car-Heem. Eager to save his own skin, Robotnik takes the Freedom Fighter oath. The group then conspire to trick Car-Heem into opening their habitat and construct a vehicle to help them escape.
When their vehicle is ready, Sonic fakes being dead, prompting Car-Heem to remove him, allowing Sonic to run inside his space suit and distract him. Flying the Freedom Fighters to the control panel, Robotnik reveals his treacherous intentions: opening the ship's door, he sends Car-Heem and Sonic flying out into space. Grabbing him, the Freedom Fighters then extend Car-Heem's umbilicus, rescuing him and Sonic. In gratitude and with a changed outlook, Car-Heem agrees to return the group to Mobius and collect non-living things from now on. Rotor, similarly influenced, releases all his pet ants, only for them to end up crawling onto the other Freedom Fighters.
On his way to bed, Antoine is scared by a shadow, which upon investigation turns out to belong to a forlorn Tails. When questioned, Tails reveals to Antoine that he left a Power Ring that Sonic left in his care in Robotropolis and is now afraid that Sonic would never let him go on another mission. At first unaware of where the Ring is, Antoine agrees to retrieve it for Tails, but then sets to his task fearfully. Awakened by the conversation, Bunnie emerges from her hut as Antoine leaves and ask Tails what is going on. After Tails explains the situation, Bunnie disappears from the room.
Antoine enters Robotropolis through the sewers, and unbeknownst to him, is nearly run down by a Robotnik robot when he stops to examine a map. A steel girder comes flying out of nowhere to stop the robot, while the seemingly oblivious Antoine moves on. Locating the building that Tails left the Power Ring on top of, he begins climbing a ladder on the side and is spotted by SWATbot. They begin following him, but the ladder falls after Antoine reaches safety. A badly damaged SWATbot tries to make contact with Robotnik, but loses power before he can reveal the identity of their attacker, which is hinted at by the shadow on the wall the ladder had fallen from. Detecting Antoine's presence, Robotnik and Snively attempt to run into him using a hovercraft while Antoine is making his way through a large pipe. The pipe is then lifted out of the way, leading Robotnik and Snively to crash into a river of toxic sludge.
Arriving safely back in Knothole, Antoine presents the ring to Tails, who thanks him and says that this will be their little secret. Bunnie, who reappeared and congratulated Antoine for his bravery, is then thanked by Antoine for their "little secret" - apparently, he was aware of her actions to protect him. Embarrassed, Bunnie is then surprised as Antoine kisses her on the cheek.
- This issue introduces Car-Heem from Planet Weeet, which would later be seen in Sonic the Hedgehog #169, when A.D.A.M. while controlling Tommy Turtle uses the powers of Turbo Tails and Super Shadow to suck in all the Chaos Emeralds from around the universe, including the Cyan Emeralds from Weet before they were sent into the Zone of Silence by Turbo Tails.
- The first signs of a romance between Antoine D'Coolette and Bunnie Rabbot appear, which would eventually lead on to getting married in Sonic the Hedgehog #174.
- "Do-It-Yourself" Sonic Contest Winners: Features the comics written by the winner, runner-up and the third-place winner of the "Do-It-Yourself Sonic" contest from Sonic the Hedgehog #14.
- Although the first story's title is "Ivo Robotnik, Freedom Fighter!", the cover page states "Doctor Robotnik, Freedom Fighter!".