- "...Two Steps Back" & "SONIC GENERATIONS": "Genesis" may be over, but Sonic's 20th Anniversary celebration parties on! As the Genesis Epilogue unfolds, the Death Egg II still menaces New Mobotropolis, and Dr. Eggman has one more sinister trick up his sleeve. It's a desperate race against time as Sonic and Sally try to prevent another world catastrophe, and the ending will leave you speechless. Also featuring a very special SONIC GENERATIONS video game story!
...Two Steps Back
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Ben Bates
- Inks: Terry Austin
- Colors: Matt Herms
- Letters: John Workman
- Editor: Paul Kaminski
- Editor-in-Chief: Victor Gorelick
- Special thanks to: Cindy Chau, and Judy Gilbertson at SEGA Licensing
Sonic is floating in a white limbo contemplating the events of Genesis and he ends up back on the Death Egg Mark 2 fighting Silver Sonic, but time has been rewinded ten seconds. This allows Sonic to save Sally from being gunned down by turrets, and the turret hits Silver Sonic instead. Nicole is able to hack into the elevators so they can escape the room.
Meanwhile, Dr. Eggman has press the button to start Operation: Clean Sweep and nothing happens. He goes irate and ask Snively went wrong, but he doesn't know. Dr. Eggman almost loses it until he reminds himself of Sonic's constant chaos and remembers the events of Genesis himself. He asks Snively for the status of stage two and he tells him that it is primed and ready to fire, but Sonic and Sally are coming. Dr. Eggman doesn't worry because he believes that there is no way for them to stop him this time.
Sally is noticing all the Death Egg's power is being directed below deck and Nicole doesn't know why and needs more time to hack into the system. They don't have time so Sally decides go to the deck to find out what's using the power, but not before Sonic does a "hidden cannon inspection". Down on the deck, they find a giant roboticizer and Dr. Eggman tells them that it's a world roboticizer. Sonic laughs and reminds Dr. Eggman that the Bem de-roboticized everyone and made it permanent, but Dr. Eggman tells him the flash they saw reset everything. Dr. Eggman thens shows them a simulation of what would happen to Station Square when it would get hit the roboticizer and it explodes, and he also reminds them of New Mobotropolis. Sonic then realises that his dad will be killed, and Sally realizes the same about Bunnie and Nicole. Sally tells him that it would destroy all of his Dark Egg Legion chapters, but he isn't bothered by it at all. Enraged, Sonic tries to attack him, but is tackled by Metal Sonic. As Sonic prepares to fight it, a damaged Silver Sonic falls from the ceiling and also fights him.
Dr. Eggman then discovers that Sally has disappeared and arms his Egg Mobile, but Sonic smashes the hoverchair and puts his trust in Sally. Under the floors, Sally has gotten into the wire systems and Nicole tells her she will need hours to patch herself into the network, but they have only minutes. The only thing Nicole can do is invert the beam at that exact point. Sally tells her to do it, despite she herself will not be immune. As the battle above reaches it's climax, Dr. Eggman orders Snively to fire the world roboticizer and Sally says goodbye to Nicole, just as it explodes.
The roboticizer explodes and damages the Death Egg. Snively calls Dr. Eggman telling him that, there are massive energy leaks, the roboticizer is gone and that every other system is still online and they have lost no altitude. Dr. Eggman and Sonic picks themselves out of the rubble and Sonic remarks that they win again. Dr. Eggman tries to fend Sonic off, but he spin dashes the doctor and tells him that he beat him and that he and Sally will destroy the Death Egg, and he will then stomp on Ixis Naugus. As Sonic brags on, a metal fist burst out of the rubble. Much to Sonic's horror and Dr. Eggman's amusement, Sally is now roboticized and targeting Sonic.
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Jamal Peppers
- Inker: Terry Austin
- Colorist: Matt Herms
- Letterer: John Workman
- Editor: Paul Kaminski
- Editor-In-Chief: Victor Gorelick
- Special thanks to: Cindy Chau and Judy Gilbertson at SEGA Licensing
A comic book tie-in to the video game Sonic Generations.
All of Sonic's friends try and surprise him with a birthday picnic on top of a hill. Just as the festivities get under way, however, a hole in the sky rips open and all of Sonic's friends are sucked in. Sonic looks into the hole and sees Green Hill Zone and runs off to save the day, not noticing that Classic Sonic is watching...
As Mecha Sally emerges from the ruins of the roboticizer, Metal Sonic taps her on the shoulder, presenting a ring and bouquet of flowers. Eggman marries the two, announcing them "compatible hardware", while Sonic yells for the universe to be reset again.
- Sonic rewinds reality by 10 seconds, and saves Sally from the turret.
- Eggman reveals his plans to roboticize the world.
- The world roboticizer is destroyed, causing large damage to the Death Egg 2.
- Sally is roboticized.
- Sally: Just Pre-mission jitters...I'm fine.
- Sonic: (after hearing Eggman's plan) I never should've shown you a shred of mercy, you sick- (gets attacked by Metal Sonic)
- Eggman: Ah-ah-ah! Language, rodent!
- This issue marks the final appearance of Sally (as her normal self) in the Pre-Super Genesis Wave timeline. This also means it is the very last time Sally is depicted with her older, Sonic the Hedgehog character design.
- This marks the second time Sally has been roboticized, the first being in Sonic the Hedgehog #29.
- Sally recalls her Auto-Automaton from the Princess Sally miniseries, as well as what happened to it when put into a roboticizer.
- Sonic's pose with him holding Metal Sonic's severed head is similar to the scene with the famous quote "To be or not to be? That is the question." from William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
- The final page of "Sonic Generations" states that Sonic Generations was now available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo 3DS. While this was true for the 360 and PlayStation 3 versions at the time of the issues release, the 3DS version did not come out until twenty days later.
- In France, "...Two Steps Back" was printed in Delcourt Sonic 3: Arrière Toute ! and "Sonic Generations" was printed in Delcourt Sonic 5: Lost World Et Compagnie.
- In Germany, this issue was printed in Panini Sonic the Hedgehog #3.
- In the United Kingdom, "Sonic Generations" was printed as a digital comic that could be accessed via the QR code feature in Pedigree's Sonic Interactive Annual.