|Sonic the Hedgehog #24|
When Hedgehogs Collide
- The return of the Anti-Sonic! And this time he's brought friends... The Anti-Sonic is looking for some action, so he rounds up the "gang" consisting of the Anti-Sally, the Anti-Tails, the Anti-Rotor and the Anti-Antoine! They then take the Cosmic Interstate to Mobius, dress like their counterparts and steadily proceed to terrorize the Mobian countryside! So where have the Good Guys been all this time? Sonic, Tails and Antoine had been sent by Rotor into "negative reality" though they were unable to penetrate "the Zone of Silence" (aka, The Void) where Sally's father is being held. Sally's been out on a mission with the trainees. And everyone arrives back in time only to have their fellow Mobians terrorize them! However an attempt to confront the Anti-Freedom Fighters turns into a draw until Sally realizes that there's no way they can defeat their other selves, who would be able to anticipate their strategies. So how do they propose to beat the snot out of them?
Cover Corner Box
Dr. Ivo Robotnik looks at the front cover with the Freedom Fighters and the Anti Freedom Fighters and comments "It's getting so you can't tell the Good guys from the Bad anymore!"
When Hedgehogs Collide!
The story begins with apparently Sonic kicking a Mobian pig into the mud. The pig asked Sonic why did he do it and Sonic replied because he felt like it. Sonic then runs off telling the pig he doesn't like his face. Elsewhere in the Great Forest, Princess Sally sees a young girl squirrel fishing. She asked Sally to join her and Sally responded by yanking the squirrel's stool, forcing her into the water. Sally runs away laughing while the squirrel cries. In Knothole Village, Antoine drives a car so fast that it knocked over an apple vendor and a cart of apples. Antoine then reverses the vehicle in to the apples, splattering apple sauce on the vendor. In a shop, the keeper asked Rotor if he needed anything today and Rotor's response was swinging a bat, trashing the shop. Rotor then hands the shopkeeper a ticket for not having enough room to swing a bat and leaves. On a path, a turtle runs away from Tails and he gets hit with numerous tomatoes. Tails then flies off deeper into the Great Forest where he meets up with Sally, Rotor, Antoine, and Sonic, now wearing sunglasses. They discuss how the people they tormented bought their act and they prepare for the next step of their plan.
The story flashes back to Anti-Mobius, where Anti Sonic sits in his office bored. He comments that the only thing that excites him is when he fights Sonic the Hedgehog from the other universe. As Anti-Sonic looks out the street with a SWEEPbot cleaning up the Anti Freedom Fighters', Anti Sally comes in. Kicking down Anti-Sonic saying she wants fight someone that fights back. Anti-Sonic then comes up with the idea of fighting themselves. He recalls from his point of view the first encounter with the good Sonic in Anti-Mobius and again when Robo-Robotnik recruited him to help get Giant Borg (StH: #11, #19). Anti Sonic and Anti Sally then meet Anti Rotor in the garage and with Anti Tails and Anti Antoine, ride their vehicles through the Cosmic Interstate to Mobius. They disguise themselves as their good counterparts and commit the horrible acts previously seen.
The "real" Sonic, Tails, and Antoine returned to Rotor's lab through the Timespace Matter Projector. The three were trying to get into the Zone of Silence to rescue King Max but they failed. Sonic blames NICOLE for not getting them to their destination but replies that the Negative Zone wreaks havoc on her software. Sally then enters the lab, having returned from a mission with her trainees (Princess Sally (miniseries)). Suddenly, a mob gathered outside the building including the victims of the Anti Freedom Fighters, enters the lab. They started yelling at Sonic and the others for the things they have done and started throwing things at them, and the five of them escape into the forest. Sonic realizes someone posed as the Freedom Fighters and wonders how to expose them. Sally then gathers the group with a plan.
The Anti Freedom Fighters terrorize Knothole village in their vehicles. They decide to go after a group of gypsies, who are really their good counterparts in disguise. Sally fires an arrow with a line which throws the Anti-Freedom Fighters off their vehicles. The Freedom Fighters removed their disguises and the two groups fight. With one member fighting their counterpart it is an even match until Sally suggests changing partners. Sonic takes down Anti Sally, Sally takes down Anti Antoine, Antoine takes down Anti Rotor, Rotor takes down Anti Tails and Tails takes down Anti Sonic. The villagers seeing the incident apologized and Sonic tells his anti-self he is going back to where he came from. Anti Sonic, however, replies satisfied that he got what he wanted: a fight. The villagers were arrested a few days later, because one of the Freedom Fighters they mobbed was their LEADER!
- The Anti Freedom Fighters impersonate their Prime counterparts in order to frame them.
- Sonic, Tails, and Antoine attempt to reach the Zone of Silence to rescue King Max but fail to breach through the Negative Reality.
- This will not be the last time the Freedom Fighters will face off against their Anti-Mobius counterparts. Many issues later the Anti Freedom Fighters will invade Mobius as the Suppression Squad led by the Anti Sonic, Scourge.
- When Anti Sonic says," My counterpart is everything I'm not--helpful, kind, obedient, cheerful and thrifty! A regular Boy Scout! OOOOH How I hate that hedgehog!", he is referring to the Boy Scout Oath.
- This issue marks the first mention of Anti-Bunnie.
- Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 24 at Mobius Encyclopedia, the Archie Sonic wiki