|Sonic the Hedgehog #245|
Terry Austin and various
- “Endangered Species,” Part Three. It’s all-out war on Albion! Lien-Da’s Dark Egg Legion battles Thrash’s devil dog pack, with Knuckles and Team Fighters giving their all to control the chaos! The dark origin of Thrash is revealed, opening up a no-holds-barred throw-down with Knuckles!
Endangered Species - Part Three: Restoration Efforts
It's an all-out war on Albion in the battle taking place there! Knuckles and Team Fighters battle Thrash and his devil dog pack, while the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra takes control of Metal Knuckles after adapting to resist water. Thrash reveals his intentions of getting rid of all the echidnas in Albion (a result of his claims that his race underwent experimentation many years before), but is soon after beaten by Knuckles. The Krudzu Hybrid Hydra then appears, capturing Tails and Amy. Thrash manages to escape through his warp ring, but not before Knuckles can follow him.
Meanwhile, Team Fighters are having trouble taking on the Hybrid Hydra, while a pair of eyes scopes out the situation. Sonic acts cocky as usual, saying there's no Badniks to morph with, when the Hydra begins to bond with all of the broken technology left from the earlier battles with the Dark Egg Legion. Just then, a familiar black-and-yellow Spin Dash hits the Hydra, and Shard reveals himself, surprising Amy, Tails, and most of all Sonic.
- This is the Tasmanian Devils' first appearance since Sonic the Hedgehog #48.
- This issue marks the first time Shard has shown himself to Sonic in his new form.
- The final cover for this issue was given some slight changes in comparison to the original preview of the cover; the metal wires grabbing Sonic had plant vines entangling them (as a reference to the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra). Also, the countdown to the Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide event and the mark for the 20th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series were added as well.
- The Worlds Collide countdown on the cover incorrectly says 4 instead of 3. This same error is also present on the cover of Archie Sonic Universe Issue 48.
- The metal vines entangling Sonic were actually from Lien-Da. It is unknown how or why this would have occurred, due to the Ken Penders case that cause all of his characters to be removed from the storyline.