|Sonic the Hedgehog #245|
Terry Austin and various
- "Endangered Species," Part Three. The battle between Knuckles and Thrash the Devil rages on! The battle against Dr. Eggman's forces was sidetracked when Thrash erased the entire echidna population-- and Knuckles isn't taking it lying down! Can Team Fighters even the odds when the Krudzu Hybrid Hyrda shows up?
Endangered Species Part Three: Restoration Efforts
The issue starts with Sonic Spin Dashing Thrash in the back, then tells him to bring the Echidnas back, or they will fight. Thrash tries to dissuade Sonic from engaging him, claiming that his quarrel with the Echidnas has nothing to do with the Hedgehog. Sonic disagrees and demands that he surrender, and Thrash replies with his super-sonic scream, which knocks Sonic into the air while Knuckles, Amy, and Tails face Thrash's Devil Dog pack. Meanwhile, the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra, who used a Crabmeat body to travel to Albion and protect himself from being destroyed by water, finds the disabled intact Metal Knuckles and adapts the fallen Metal Series robot.
Knuckles and Thrash continue to fight, and Thrash explains how the Echidnas experimented with his kind, resulting in more Devil Dogs being born instead of Tasmanian Devils. In banishing them and leaving Knuckles as the last Echidna on Mobius, he considers justice to have been served: the two of them are both the last of their kind. Knuckles knocks Thrash down, only to be tackled by a Devil Dog, forcing him to call upon Team Fighters for help. Following Sonic's directions, Amy and Tails start flinging and herding Devil Dogs toward one area with tornado like moves. Sonic then makes a kennel with fence posts, preventing the Devil Dogs from escaping and aiding Thrash. Thrash then decides to start using his super-sonic scream, but Knuckles makes his way up to Thrash after being knocked back, and punches Thrash into the air.
Elsewhere, a mysterious figure observes the heroes, and witnessing their apparent victory saying he does not need to reveal himself now. However, the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra-Metal Knuckles then appears and uses vines to grab and choke Tails and Amy. While Sonic and Knuckles battle Metal Knuckles, the mysterious figure says he can't get involved, and continues to observe while encouraging the heroes. Thrash manages to open his Warp Ring and escapes into it. Knuckles, noticing this, goes into the Warp Ring as well with Sonic's encouragement. Sonic manages to free Tails and Amy, as well as tangle the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra's vines on its' hands. Sonic tells Metal Knuckles to give up, but he uses parts of machinery to make his form much bigger. Then, a yellow and black ball knocks him down with a spin dash, and reveals his identity: Shard the Metal Sonic.
The Krudzu Metal Knuckles appears in front of Team Fighters, boldly facing off with him. Amy tosses aside her Piko Piko Hammer, and announces that she will utilize her secret weapon. The Krudzu Metal Knuckles then flees in terror as she chases it with her "Pico Pico Shears", announcing that it's "Time for this Rose to prune!"
- This is the Tasmanian Devils' first appearance since Sonic the Hedgehog #48.
- This issue marks the first time Shard has shown himself to Sonic in his new form.
- The final cover for this issue was given some slight changes in comparison to the original preview of the cover; the metal wires grabbing Sonic had plant vines entangling them (as a reference to the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra). Also, the countdown to the Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide event and the mark for the 20th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series were added as well.
- The Worlds Collide countdown on the cover incorrectly says 4 instead of 3. This same error is also present on the cover of Archie Sonic Universe Issue 48.
- The metal vines entangling Sonic were actually from Lien-Da. It is unknown how or why this would have occurred, due to the Ken Penders case that cause all of his characters to be removed from the storyline.
- Originally, this issue's cover did not have green vines covering the cables that are ensnaring Sonic. This was added to emphasize the Krudzu now being part of the ongoing story, in light of the legal matters that developed during this arc's production.
- According to Ian Flynn, Shard played no role in the original version of the story.
- The Worlds Collide countdown on the cover incorrectly says 4 instead of 3. This same error is also present on the cover of Sonic Universe #48.
- In Germany, this issue was printed in Panini Sonic the Hedgehog #10.