- “Endangered Species”, The Conclusion! It’s the most world-shattering story to ever hit Knuckles the Echidna, and it all ends here! As Team Fighters make their way to the Arctic, Thrash and Knuckles collide in an explosive final battle for the fate of the Echidnas. So why is Silver the Hedgehog in the mix? Find out in this exciting finale!
Endangered Species Finale: One of a Kind
The comic starts off with Team Fighters facing Shard during the Albion Attack, and they instantly know it's him. They all think Eggman rebuilt him, so they attack him. Shard then begins to say things about saving them, but then Tails and Amy tell of how he kidnapped them. The Krudzu Hybrid Hydra then grabs onto Sonic and Shard, saying how Shard will be a great addition to the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra. Shard convinces Sonic to team up with him so they can defeat the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra. Sonic tells Tails and Amy to get a plan while Sonic and Shard take the Krudzu on a little joy ride. Tails goes over to where the Devil Dogs are trapped. He comes up with a plan.
Sonic and Shard discuss what has happened to Shard, while dragging the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra with them. Sonic and Shard then take the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra back to Amy and Tails and Amy hits it with her Piko Piko Hammer. Tails releases the Devil Dogs onto the Krudzu Hybird Hydra and they all attack.
Back in the White Acropolis Peaks, Knuckles and Thrash continue to battle.Their battle causes an avalanche. But they get away and come to Angel Island. Thrash gets away and the Chaotix–Vector, Charmy, Espio, Mighty, and Ray– return to the island. Knuckles punches the ground and Shrine Isle cracks a little.
Back in Albion, the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra tries to attack but is defeated. Sonic and Amy begin to grieve on what has been happening. Shard then tells them that they could use the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra as a "derobotizcing machine thing". They begin to discuss and leave on the Tornado. They head for the Northern Tundra to finally save Sally, while Shard contacts Silver .
- Team Fighters and Shard fight the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra.
- Knuckles and Thrash battle in several areas leading up to Angel Island.
- Vector, Charmy, Espio, Mighty and Ray return to Angel Island and Thrash gets away.
- Team Fighters and Shard defeat the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra
- They decide to turn the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra into a derobotizceing machine.
- Team Fighters head to the Northern Tundra to save Sally, and Silver, unbeknownst to Team Fighters, decides to come too.
- This issue marks the final on panel appearance of Thrash before the reboot.
- This marks the final appearance of Albion in the series.
- Knuckles and Thrash both have no dialogue throughout the whole issue, despite appearing prominently.
- It is known that the majority of this story arc had to be altered due to behind the scenes issues. On the subject of how the story was originally supposed to play out, Ian Flynn has at least gone on to confirm that neither Shard nor the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra where originally intended to appear in the arc.
- Sonic refers to Shard as the original Mecha Sonic in this issue: this was the name originally used for Metal Sonic v1.0 during its first appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog #25, and later for its v2.0 model in the Knuckles' Chaotix, with every other model thereafter being referred to as Metal Sonic, both to match the games, and because Mecha had since become the name designated to Sonic's robotisized form. The fact that Metal was originally referred to as Mecha was something that had been retconned in later issues, but this has apparently been re-retconned in this issue: according to Ian Flynn, Mecha Sonic is used to refer to the original robot created by the original Dr. Ivo Robotnik, to differentiate from the current Eggman line. Flynn later went on to state this was done so as to get around Sega's recent mandate that only one Metal Sonic can exist in the series.
- Shard's line to Sonic "It's a secret to everyone", is a nod to the recurring line said in The Legend of Zelda which is said by several characters.
- The off-panel is sort of a reference to Titan Metal Sonic.
- ↑ Ian Flynn (1 March 2013). Endangered Species Afterthought: What DIDN'T Change?. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.