Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Rise of Robotropolis... The Fall of Sonic
- Coming off of their victory during the Robotropolis earthquake, the good guys are enjoying a routine mission to further thwart the doctor's plans when a freak lightning bolt zaps Sonic and causes him to lose his super speed! Can the Freedom Fighters manage without Sonic's powers, or will Sonic need some "substitutes" to get the job done?
The Rise of Robotropolis... The Fall of Sonic!
- Writer: Kent Taylor
- Pencils: Manny Galan
- Inks: Phil Sheehy
- Letters: Vickie Williams
- Colors: Barry Grossman
- Editor: Freddy Mendez-Gabrie
- Managing editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Following a devastating earthquake, a team of Freedom Fighters led by Sonic travels to Robotropolis to investigate the city's condition. Antoine, worried by the raging storm, suggests turning back, which Sonic agrees to since they have all the information they were looking for. Unfortunately, the group is then attacked by a squad of Combots, all of whom were previously thought destroyed. The Freedom Fighters engage their foes in a difficult battle, which is then interrupted as one of the Combots is destroyed by a bolt of lightning, creating an explosion that knocks Sonic unconscious. Antoine remains behind to watch Sonic, sending Tails to get the other Freedom Fighters.
Sally and the others arrive to find Sonic apparently recovered, and they quickly discuss the situation. Sonic attempts to speed off, but stumbles and then finds that he no longer possesses his super speed. Rotor theorizes that the explosion of the Combot must have caused the change, and NICOLE deduces that gathering several Power Rings might restore Sonic to normal. The group departs for Knothole, but are ambushed in the Great Forest by another group of Combots using cloaking devices. While his teammates are quickly subdued, Sonic is able to knock out one Combot with a Power Ring he already had, though the explosion knocks him into the nearby pool. The other Combots depart, convinced that Sonic has been destroyed.
Penelope Platypus saves Sonic from drowning, telling him that she and the rest of Sally's trainees saw the battle on a spy camera, and arrived in time to fish Sonic-and another Power Ring he collected-out of the pool. The pool of water is revealed to be the Lake of Rings and, determined to help his friends despite his still absent speed, Sonic leads his new team into Robotropolis. Meeting up with Fly Fly Freddy and the Robotropolis Spy Network, the group learns of a way to reach the trapped Freedom Fighters. After making their way along a narrow ledge, they make it into the lab where the Freedom Fighters are being held, only to find Robotnik and his Combots waiting for them.
With the Combots easily overwhelming Sally's trainees, Sonic pulls out another Power Ring he had kept in his backpack, but is still unable to regain his speed. He then spots a destroyed Combot torso with the Power Ring he previously discarded embedded in it, and grabs it in order to regain his speed. Thus restored, he defeats the Combots and frees his teammates before challenging Robotnik, only for the tyrant to escape and set off a bomb. The Freedom Fighters make it out without difficulty, determined to finish their struggle another day.
- Writer: Mike Kanterovich and Ken Penders
- Pencils: Ken Penders
- Inks: Jon D'Agostino
- Letters: Vickie Williams
- Colors: Barry Grossman
Tails checks up on Sonic, who has a terrible cold, and decides the best way to help his friend get better is to read him comic books. Tails reads Sonic a comic that he wrote himself, "Freedom Fighters", a parody of "The Fantastic Four" starring himself, Sonic, Rotor, and Sally. The group apparently gained superpowers after being exposed to galactic rays. One day, the Freedom Fighters are menaced by Robotnicus, a parody of Galactus, who wants to eat their planet. Sonic offers him a few boxes of "Twinkles" instead, and Robotnicus accepts. The Twinkles gave Robotnicus a stomach ache, and he retreated. Sonic is so bored by Tails' story that he falls asleep.
The next morning, Sonic has recovered from his cold, but Tails has caught it as well. Sonic decides to create his own comic book, "Bat-Sonic", and reads it to Tails.
- Art: Patrick Spaziante
The editor stands in front of an audience in a Mecha Sonic costume, ready to talk about Mecha Madness, when he suddenly has a really bad itch. He runs away, trying to pull the costume off and scratch himself.
- Pinup Pages:
- "Freedom Fighters Issue 3" - A parody of the cover of Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #3, with Sonic as Mr. Fantastic, Sally as the Invisible Woman, Rotor as The Thing, and Tails as The Human Torch.
- "Bat-Sonic No. 164" - A parody Batman cover, with Sonic dressed as Batman and Tails dressed as Robin.
- On the first page, Sonic sings an excerpt of "Fastest Thing Alive", the theme song for the Sonic the Hedgehog television series.
- Sonic's use of three Power Rings to recover his speed is similar to how he used three rings to overpower Robotnik's Roboticizer in the final episode of the animated series.