Lizard of Odd
- The first story to feature Super Sonic! Robotnik has decided to roboticise the ultimate creature - but due to Swatbot incompetence all he gets is a salamander. But thanks to a Buzzbomber that pulls the wrong switch it grows out of control becoming The Universalamander! But this robot isn't under Robotnik's control, and acting as a free agent he proceeds to destroy everything in site!
Cover Corner Box
Robotnik, holding a flag with an R on it, exclaims "Today, the corner box...tomorrow, the world!"
The Lizard of Odd!
- Writer: Michael Gallagher
- Pencils: Dave Manak
- Inks: Henry Scarpelli
- Colors: Barry Grossman
- Letters: Bill Yoshida
- Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Dr. Robotnik is ambitious for a super robot to take out the Freedom Fighters, and he thinks it will come true once an animal-capturing truck arrives with an animal inside. The SWATbots report to Robotnik and open the truck, only to find that it's a salamander (Robotnik had specifically ordered a big animal to be captured, and the salamander was "big enough for its age"). Infuriated by the measly capture, Robotnik sends the three SWATbots to be destroyed and decides to throw the salamander into the roboticizer. Becoming sweaty, Robotnik orders Buzzbomber to turn up the air conditioner, but the Badnik accidentally turns the robot size increasing lever. The Salamander breaks free of Robotropolis and dubs himself "Universalamander". As Robotnik flees, fearful for his life, the Universalamander goes on a rampage through the Great Forest, where the Freedom Fighters catch sight of him. Sonic goes out to confront Universalamander, but he catches Sonic in his jaws and the Freedom Fighters believe Sonic is dead.
Suddenly, Universalamander spits Sonic out because Sonic started making loops in his jaws at super speed. The robot attempts to smash Sonic with a tree while Sonic escapes and collects seven Chaos Emeralds and fifty Power Rings. Sonic transforms into Super Sonic and begins to fight the robot. Seeing that his normal attacks don't work, Sonic goes into Knothole and asks Boomer for his shrinking device. The Freedom Fighters continue to watch Sonic on the screen, but then realize that Sonic was in Knothole at the same time. Sonic uses Boomer's shrinking device on Universalamander, and he steps on the bot to finish him off.
Antoine's Van Refrain!
Antoine is quoting Cyrano de Bergerac and one of his plays, making numerous references to vanity. In the end, he flops on the floor, only to be awaken by Sally asking if he's done assembling her vanity. He picks up the instructions, causing him a great amount of confusion.
Horizont-Al & Verti-Cal
The two beings known as Horizont-Al and Verti-Cal introduce themselves, saying they've received many Sonic-grams asking for their return. They tell the reader about themselves, that they live in a special zone where there are no laws of physics. Horizont-Al throws a baseball at Verti-Cal, but it wobbles all over the place and causes Verti-Cal to miss and strike. With no laws of physics, they have the 'wickedest' curve ball ever seen.
The Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad are not happy with Sonic. Coconuts throws a coconut on the ground, causing it to explode, and says he'll destroy Sonic with one of them. Meanwhile, Scratch says he'll peck Sonic into submission, pecking at the wall to demonstrate. Grounder launches some missiles from his hands, saying he can take care of Sonic with his Sonic misguided missiles. On the other side of the room, a receptionist for a villain audition behind a desk tells the three to keep quiet. A number of other villains in the audition watch the three unhappily, thinking they're showing off.
Sonic, while traveling through Knothole, comes upon Bunnie Rabbot, who has opened a hair salon and invites Sonic in, saying she'll fix up his hair after she is done with Sally. She takes a seat as Bunnie walks over, saying her life goal is to be a hair stylist, fighting Robotnik otherwise. She tells Sonic to come in, and that her work will only take one second as she has one style. She sticks her robotic foot in a nearby water puddle and puts her robotic hand into Sally's hair, causing it to frizz, proclaiming it as 'instant permanent'. Sally looks in a mirror pleased, but Sonic is not.
Tails' Little Tale
Tails is tired of not being a part of any adventures or missions and decides to go up against Robotnik by himself while Sonic rests. He flies out to search for any sign of Robotnik and his Badniks (who are having a party right behind Tails below a cliff), but is captured by a Bat Brain and Buzzbomber. Tails panics and wonders what would sonic do if he was in this situation. He manages to defeat the two using his tails to attack, and flies off into Robotropolis. He thinks he sees Dr. Robotnik, but it turns out to be a hand shadow by a SWATbot, entertaining another one next to him. Tails then hits the wall and is briefly stunned, while the SWATbots carry him to a roboticizer. Tails begins to panic, but Sonic comes in just in time and orders the bots to set the fox free. The bots activate self-destruct mechanisms, but Sonic and Tails make it out of the building before it explodes. Running back to Knothole, Sonic asks Tails if he's learned his lesson, to which the fox replies he will "look before he leaps".
A two-page poster of Super Sonic.
A free birthday card featuring Ivo Robotnik.
- This marks the first appearance of Super Sonic in the series.
- This is the first issue Bunnie hair dresses Princess Sally. She would do this once again in Sonic the Hedgehog #177.
- A one-page story featuring Horizont-Al and Verti-Cal includes a panel that would be reused in a flashback scene in issue Sonic the Hedgehog #59.
- The first story is named The Lizard of Odd. This is an obvious pun of The Wizard of Oz.
- The Bad-Niks Bazzar short story features cameos from Lex Luthor, the Green Goblin and Dr. Doom (respectively, Superman, Spider-Man and The Fantastic Four's nemeses), rating Coconuts, Scratch and Grounder's villainous performance with low grades (the Goblin calling them "show-offs").
- Tails briefly mentions Michael Jordan, a retired-basketball player, in one of his sentences, as he quoted "I'm the Michael Jordan of Freedom Fighters!"
- This is Tails' first solo story before his own Mini Series.