The Truth Is Out There...
- The madman himself may be gone, but his evil lives on. We're speaking of course of Robotnik's satellites, which link to each other while in orbit, forming a mega-sized space base. Meanwhile, back on Mobius, Sonic's parents are about to celebrate their wedding anniversary - complete with new wedding bands fashioned from power rings. The celebration is cut short by the threat of the space base, and Sonic and the Freedom Fighters reunite in secret to investigate the mysterious satellites and who might be behind it all, and are spaceward bound to investigate. That is, if they can get off the ground - for just as they are about to leave, they receive a distress signal from Sonic's parents urging them to return at once. What diabolical menace has befallen our heroes now? You have three guesses- and the first two don't count!
Tales Of the Great War - Part II - The Big Bad One
- Uncle Chuck visits the library.
The Truth Is Out There...
Sonic presents a gift to his parents Jules and Bernadette Hedgehog: new wedding bands made from Power Rings. Nate Morgan, one of the creators, compliments his partner and student, Sir Charles Hedgehog, on his work on the Rings. Chuck is appreciative, but admits that he's uncomfortable with the fact that the creation of the Power Rings was credited to him exclusively when Nate originally conceived of them. Nate reveals that King Maximillian Acorn chose to take that course, rather than risk Nate being falsely branded a traitor. Nate then bids his goodbye, while Sonic is then summoned toCastle Acorn by Sally. The princess herself, having contacted the other Freedom Fighters, converses with Nicole, who questions why King Max hasn't been informed of their findings. Sally responds that she wants to be "one-hundred percent sure," and her brother Elias then questions what she wants to be so sure of. Nicole suggest that she confide in Elias, but Sally hesitates, which Elias understands: they have only recently met, and neither knew of the other's existence until a short time ago. He then reveals his hopes that they can have a strong relationship, particularly as the demands upon their father prevent him from having much personal time with them.
Sally admits that her own life has been turned upside down since Elias' arrival, especially upon learning that he is to take the throne instead of her-only for Elias to confess that he doesn't wish to do so. Meanwhile, in orbit, Snively cowers at the feet of his mysterious abductor, who proceeds to activate the last of the satellites surrounding Mobius. On the surface, Sally reveals to the assembled Freedom Fighters that she and Nicole have discovered the existence of the satellites, and are determined to identify them. As the satellites begin to connect to each other, Sally explains the sequence in which each has activated, and the Freedom Fighters begin to see links to recent events. These include the break out from Devil's Gulag, avalanches in the Southern Tundra preceding Sonic's battle with Ixis Naugus, a Robian attack at the Lost Temple of Shazamazon, and the recent meteor shower that struck Mobotropolis. Yet another satellite activated at the time of Snively's supposed demise, and Elias-included in the meeting-wonders if the Overlander's death may have been a ruse.
The activation of two more satellites coincided with the time beam that nearly destroyed reality, and with the interference in King Acorn's Telecrate broadcast. Sally immediately resolves to inform her father, just as Max himself enters the meeting. Nicole suddenly detects the activation of the final satellite over Knothole, and the eight satellites-R, O, B, O, T, N, I, and K-unite to form the ROBOTNIK ORBITAL PLATFORM. Fearing the consequences of the satellite's activation, Sonic rushes to Knothole-and finds it deserted. Meanwhile, the platform, Sonic's shocking discovery is celebrated-by Dr. Robotnik.
Tales Of the Great War: The Big Bad One - Part Two
Back at the Mobotropolis Library, Tails and Amy are reading another of Kirby works with Jeremiah when they are joined by an unexpected visitor: Sonic's Uncle Chuck. After learning that they're reading the account of the Great War, Chuck takes over, and recounts the falling out betweenWarlord Kodos and Ixis Naugus. Following their successful betrayal of Nate Morgan, Kodos attempted to destroy the wizard in order to secure his own rule, only for Naugus to escape with his magic. Deciding to leave Kodos to the war he had longed for, Naugus escaped into the Zone of Silence, but not without promising to return. Chuck reveals that he got this information from Robotnik's files, and learned secrets about Kodos that even Kirby didn't record. These include the murder of a pair of scouts-one Mobian, one Overlander-who hoped to prevent war by delivering false reports to their people. However, Kodos captured them and then framed each side for the murder of the other's messenger, helping kick off the Great War.
- Sonic: "Well, Mom 'N Dad, do you like 'em?"
- Jules: "'Like 'em?' 'Like 'em?'"
- Bernie: "Sonic -- these wedding bands are absolutely beautiful!"
- Sonic gives two bands forged from Power Rings to his parents as an wedding anniversary gift.
- An eighth and last satellite activates.
- Sonic and the Freedom Fighters realize that a number of recent events (recounted over a number of previous issues) are all connected to the satellite network above.
- The residents of Knothole disappear.
- An editor's note mistakenly refers to Albion as "Abalon."
- The name of the first story could be a reference to the tagline most famously associated with the American sci-fi horror series The X-Files.
- Sonic Archives Vol. 19