Sonic the Hedgehog (Shogaku Ninensei)
At Last, We Learn the Truth About Sonic!! is the second manga strip featured in Shogaku Ninensei's Sonic the Hedgehog manga series. The story was written and illustrated by Sango Morimoto and released in the May issue of Shogaku Ninensei on May 3, 1992.
Continuing from the first story, Sonic and Anton Beruka are about to begin a boxing match to settle their differences, with a large crowd gathering and cheering around the boxing ring. Anton strikes Sonic, who gets hit by Anton's special gloves with hidden spikes. Sonic dodges Anton's next punch, which leads to his spiked boxing glove getting stuck into the corner post. Sonic then uses his quills to give a sting to Anton's back. Despite Anton's bragging, Sonic lands a hard uppercut. The uppercut sends Anton flying and leaves him hanging on a tree branch, which gives Sonic the win.
Later at Nikki's home, Anita tells Nikki about the boxing match. Nikki is angry about missing it. Paulie enters and ask about Nikki's matters. When Nikki asks him about Sonic, he reveals his story about meeting Sonic twenty years ago. Back then, Paulie was the test pilot of a jet plane and was about to exceed the maximum speed limit, when suddenly a disruption in the atmospheric circulation occurred. As Paulie was about to lose hope, Sonic appeared and guided him to regain control of the jet plane. After landing safety, Sonic told Paul they would meet again in the future and disappeared to the air. Back in the present, Paulie thinks that Sonic is a divine protector, and since then, he has always been wearing a jacket with Sonic's emblem on its back. After that, Paulie explains that it was the first time that he and Brenda met as he landed closely next to Brenda's house. They got married soon after.
While Paulie ends the story, someone has been listening them from a small rat-type radar robot. It turns out to be Doctor Eggman on his shuttle, as he thinks that Nikki and Sonic share a connection between each other.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Anton Beruka
- Mad (First appearance)
- Little John (First appearance)
- Anita (First appearance)
- Brenda (First appearance)
- Paulie (First appearance)
- Doctor Eggman (First appearance)
- The multi-colored birds flying above the boxing ring in the first page closely resemble Flickies.
- Eimi is only seen in the first page of the manga strip. The first page also features early appearances of Little John and Mad along with another lizard boy in the crowd.
- Nikki's fur color has changed to blue, which stays that way for later stories. In the first manga strip only, he is seen having brown fur color for a brief moment.
- The idea of Paulie wearing a jacket with a Sonic emblem on it back originated from the origin story featured in Sonic the Hedgehog Technical Files, where the jet pilot Chuck Garnet has a leather flight jacket with a blue cartoon mascot. Similarly, an alternate story about this is also featured in Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic Volume 3, as a text story called "Story Gaiden", which tells of a fictional real-world origin for Sonic.
- Strangely, Dr. Eggman's mustache is colored white for this strip only. It returns to its normal brown color in the next one.