The Babylon Guardian (called Angelus the Gatekeeper in Japan) is the final boss character from Sonic Riders. Somewhat confusingly, "Babylon Guardian" is also the name of the stage in which he appears.
Angelus is a genie in a bottle, and resembles a large purple hawk who guards the treasure of Babylon. He is also referred to as "the guardian God of Babylon" when choosing his stage.
The guardian God is defeated by boosting into his bottle three times. His health is displayed at the top of the screen by three hearts. He occasionally throws energy balls at the player or shrinks into his bottle. The player has to successfully hit the bottle and cross the finish line to go on to the next lap; the lap counter will remain on Lap 1 until the player boosts into him and then crosses the marker. Once he is defeated, crossing the finish line first will win the race.
Angelus regards those who seek treasure as greedy, and he is hidden behind a large door in Babylon Garden (the Hanging Gardens of Babylon in Japan). He is the final and only boss of Sonic Riders. He is defeated by Sonic at the end of the Babylon Story. When defeated, he disintegrates into sparkles, leaving only the chest containing the treasure.
After losing to Sonic, Sonic decides to give Jet the key anyway. The Babylon Rogues enter to find the treasure. Just as Sonic and friends are about to leave, a loud roar emanates from the palace. Sonic and friends then decide to join up with the Rogues to see what's going on. A large creature forms and reveals itself to be the Babylon Guardian. He then attacks them because he believes them to be greedy.
After Sonic defeats him, they finally find the treasure. It is a magic carpet that is believed to be a prototype gear created by the Babylonians. With that, the Rogues leave to look for more treasure and to prepare for the day when they meet again.
The course is a simple oval track with a virtual underworld background. However, it is only a projection, as it reverts back to a cyberspace background each time the Babylon Guardian is hit. There are two trick ramps and one shortcut for each type.
- Main Article: Babylon Guardian (Archie).
- Maddie Blaustein provides the character's voice in the English version of Sonic Riders, although Angelus' dialogue is restricted to incoherent howling.
- This is the only stage in the whole game that has no rings.
- This helps to prove how the computer characters level up. In the game the exhaust coming out of the back of the Extreme Gears shows what level that character is at. About every thirty seconds, the computer characters will move to the next level, despite there are no rings. If they get to level 3 and are attacked, they will revert back to level 1 but lose no rings, proving that they automatically level up with rings or without them.
- He is not just the final boss, but the only boss in the game.