|Bark the Polarbear|
Bark the Polarbear
in other media
|Powers and abilities|
|Moves and techniques||
Bark the Polarbear (バーク・ザ・ポーラーベアー Bāku za Pōrābeā?) is a playable character in Sonic the Fighters. He is an anthropomorphic yellow polar bear who competed in a fighting tournament for the Chaos Emeralds and the right to destroy the Death Egg II. He specializes in throws and flattering an opponent which compensates for his low speed.
Bark was one of the participants in a fighting tournament when Dr. Robotnik constructed the Death Egg II to conquer earth with his robots. If Bark won this tournament, he would get the Chaos Emeralds belonging to the other participants in addition to his own, and earn the right to use them for Tails's single-seat Lunar Fox which would take him to the Death Egg II to destroy it.
At the end of the tournament, the victor used the Chaos Emeralds to go to the Death Egg II and made it self-destruct moments after escaping it.
Other game appearances and cameos
Bark also makes appearance as an unlockable character in Fighters Megamix, along with Bean the Dynamite. He is unlocked after clearing the 'Muscle' submode of the arcade mode and he plays like any regular Virtua Fighter character in the game. He also has alternate costume is a Santa Claus-esque suit. His home stage Aurora Icefield from Sonic the Fighters.
Shenmue and Shenmue II
Powers and Abilities
Bark is a good close range fighter in hand-to-hand combat, matching the likes of renowned fighters like Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna. His fighting style specializes in brute strength with grappling throws and other powerful punches, though he possesses few combo attacks.
Bark's main asset is his immense brute strength, easily on par or greater than Knuckles', which can flatten opponents and deal maximum damage with little effort. However, his weakness is his low speed and agility. Bark also has the ability to harness chaos energy from the Chaos Emeralds to bolster his innate abilities, allowing him to enter Hyper Mode.
Apperances in other media
Bark the Polarbear along with companion Bean the Dynamite, appear in Sonic the Hedgehog comics made by Archie Comics. Earlier in comics, Bark has made brief appearances and used to be part of a mercenary group which included Fiona Fox and Bean, while being led by Nic the Weasel. Later on, Bark and Bean ambush Sonic on his birthday, but Bark finds himself outnumbered and surrenders to Fiona Fox. Since then, Bark has been recently featured as prominent characters in the comic, as a hired gun for Mammoth Mogul with Bean to capture Sonic. However Sally Acorn bribed them into betraying the rest of the hired guns in order to save Sonic. They soon rejected her offer after the capture of Sonic and returned to work with Mogul.
- His home stage theme Fairy of A.I.F has been remixed and can be found as unlockable song in Sonic Gems Collection.
- In Sonic the Fighters, Bark's fur in his character select picture is darker than his in-game model.
- According to an interview on Sonic Central, Sonic doesn't know the whereabouts of Bark, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Bean the Dynamite, Nack the Weasel, Chaos or Tikal.
- Like Bean and Honey the Cat, Bark has been most likely designed by Masahiro Sugiyama, the character designer of Sonic the Fighters.
- Bark made a cameo on the front cover of Sonic X issue #15 in the form of a stuffed toy, along with Storm the Albatross and Amigo.
- ↑ Sega of America (March 2007). Sonic Central. Sega of America. “Stephen F. (a.k.a Sonic's number 1 fan.): Will Ray the Flying Squirrel, Bean the Duck, Chaos, Nack, Tikal, and Bark reappear? P.S: COOL SITE!!! / Sonic: Actually, I don't know exactly where they are…but we do have some old faces from the past that will be with me in Sonic Heroes…make sure to check 'em out!”
- ↑ The staff team of Sonic the Fighters listed on the GHZ.