|Bark the Polar Bear|
Bark the Polar Bear
in other media
|Powers and abilities|
|Moves and techniques||
Bark the Polar Bear (バーク・ザ・ポーラーベアー Bāku za Pōrābeā?) is a playable character in Sonic the Fighters. He is an anthropomorphic yellow polar bear who competed in a fighting tournament for the Chaos Emeralds and the right to destroy the Death Egg II. He specializes in throws and flattering an opponent which compensates for his low speed.
Bark was one of the participants in a fighting tournament when Dr. Robotnik constructed the Death Egg II to conquer earth with his robots. He is found as opponent in Aurora Icefield. If Bark won this tournament, he would get the Chaos Emeralds belonging to the other participants in addition to his own and earn the right to use them for Tails' single-seat Lunar Fox which would take him to the Death Egg II to destroy it.
At the end of the tournament, the victor used the Chaos Emeralds to go to the Death Egg II and made it self-destruct moments after escaping it.
Other game appearances and cameos
Bark also makes appearance as an unlockable character in Fighters Megamix, along with Bean the Dynamite. He is unlocked after clearing the 'Muscle' submode of the arcade mode and he plays like any regular Virtua Fighter character in the game. He also has alternate costume is a Santa Claus-esque suit. His home stage Aurora Icefield from Sonic the Fighters.
Shenmue and Shenmue II
Powers and abilities
Bark is a good close range fighter in hand-to-hand combat, matching the likes of renowned fighters like Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna. His fighting style specializes in brute strength with grappling throws and other powerful punches, though he possesses few combo attacks.
Bark's main asset is his immense brute strength, easily on par or greater than Knuckles', which can flatten opponents and deal maximum damage with little effort. However, his weakness is his low speed and agility. Bark also has the ability to harness chaos energy from the Chaos Emeralds to bolster his innate abilities, allowing him to enter Hyper Mode.
Apperances in other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Bark is the silent partner of Bean the Dynamite. Bark himself was a walking enigma as no know knew where he came from or what his motivations are. He used to be part of a mercenary group which included Fiona Fox, Bean and Nic the Weasel. Later on, Bark and Bean were hired by Dr. Eggman to ambush Sonic on his birthday, but the duo was soon outnumbered and retreated. After being captured and escaping jail, Bark and Bean worked for Mammoth Mogul for some time before joining Nack the Weasel (Pre-Super Genesis Wave)'s Team Hooligan to secure a Sol Emerald, but failed.
Following the events of Worlds Collide, Bark became nearly indistinguishable from his game counterpart. During the Shattered World Crisis, he and the Hooligans would aid Dr. Eggman to control the world's restoration.
- Bark made a cameo on the front cover of Sonic X #15 in the form of a stuffed toy, along with Storm the Albatross and Amigo.
- His home stage theme Fairy of A.I.F has been remixed and can be found as unlockable song in Sonic Gems Collection.
- In Sonic the Fighters, Bark's fur in his character select picture is darker than his in-game model.
- According to an interview on Sonic Central, Sonic doesn't know the whereabouts of Bark, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Bean the Dynamite, Nack the Weasel, Chaos or Tikal.
- Like Bean and Honey the Cat, Bark has been most likely designed by Masahiro Sugiyama, the character designer of Sonic the Fighters.
- ↑ File:Bean and Bark.png
- ↑ Sega of America (March 2007). Sonic Central. Sega of America. “Stephen F. (a.k.a Sonic's number 1 fan.): Will Ray the Flying Squirrel, Bean the Duck, Chaos, Nack, Tikal, and Bark reappear? P.S: COOL SITE!!! / Sonic: Actually, I don't know exactly where they are…but we do have some old faces from the past that will be with me in Sonic Heroes…make sure to check 'em out!”
- ↑ The staff team of Sonic the Fighters listed on the GHZ.