|This article's subject exists primarily or exclusively within the Worlds Collide continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Mega Man 7
Sonic and Mega Man: When Worlds Collide (in comics)
Dr. Wily (more or less), Treble, power, proving he is the superior robot
Bass, known as Forte in Japan, production name SWN-001 (short for Special Wily Number), is a character from the Mega Man franchise, made by Dr. Wily and appeared in the Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide crossover series. He is partnered with Metal Sonic, and they are acting as Eggman and Wily's primary enforcers.
The Wily Egg Enforcer
Bass came into existence after the second Genesis Wave, a phenomenon engineered by Dr. Eggman, reset his world. In the altered timeline created by the event, he had already come into being, and was known by Mega Man to have rebelled in response to some of Dr. Wily's orders previously. After the Wave had passed, he was sent by Wily and Eggman to Mobius Prime with Metal Sonic to kidnap Miles "Tails" Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Amy Rose. The four were subsequently transformed into the Roboticized Masters, who were more easily able to pass between worlds than Bass and Metal Sonic. Apparently taking a liking to his partnership with Metal Sonic, he volunteered them for a mission to capture Dr. Light and put an end to his interference in the doctors' plans. (WC: #1, #3)
Several hours after kidnapping Dr. Light, Bass and Metal Sonic chased an intruder who was trying to foil their plans, but by accident, unleashed the Chaos Devil. After this threat was neutralized, the intruder was roboticized. (WC: #4, #8)
Bass has shown a capacity for cruelty and a love of causing others harm. He has at times rebelled against Wily's authority, but seems content to do his bidding so long as he finds it entertaining, lets him fight Mega Man, or it gives him a chance to prove how strong he is.
Powers and Abilities
Bass is a very skilled fighter, his primary weapon is his Bass Buster, which is similar to Mega Man's Mega Buster. Bass can also fuse with Treble in order to greatly enhance his power.
Bass is a robot with masculine programming, and his coloration is mostly black. He has a yellow-and-black arm-cannon, as well has several lines that are yellow around his chest, shoulders, and feet. His legs, arms, and chest are white. He has purple lines by his eyes. He has a star-shaped sign and upside-down-triangle that are colored blue. He has red eyes.
- He and Shadow appear in a "Rivals Variant" cover of Worlds Collide #3.
- He is the only rival that debuted on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in the When Worlds Collide cross-over.
- Prior to Worlds Collide Bass was acknowledged by Doctor Eggman at the end of Sonic Universe #50 when the doctor told Metal Sonic: "Not yet. I need you for much bigger plans! Report to the interdimensional gateway. You're going to meet your new partner. A base villain like yourself!"
- In keeping with the Mega Man series' use of music themed names, Bass' name is derived from the musical term, meaning his name is actually pronounced Base
- Bass's Japanese name comes from Forte, which comes from the music term for strong/loud.
- Bass is one of the few Robot Masters, such as Ra Thor and King, to not have the "Man" prefix in his name.
- Bass' appearance in the crossover is actually a deliberate contradiction of continuity. The overall Archie Mega Man comic series currently adapts the video game series from the beginning: Bass doesn't make his debut in the games until Mega Man 7 and, at the time the crossover began, the comic had only adapted the events of the first two games, with the events of the third game being foreshadowed. The nature of the Genesis Wave in the crossover, in which the timeline can be controlled, is what allows Bass to appear in the story early.