Bean likes to throw bombs at his enemies for his amusement and defence.
Concept and Creation
Bean is based on characters Bin and Pin from the 1989 Sega-AM2 arcade game, Dynamite Dux. The game consists of the two aforementioned characters attempting to rescue a girl called Lucy from the evil Sorcerer, Achacha. Bean is near identical to Bin and Pin, except Bean is green, has a red neckerchief, and wears Sonic-style shoes.
This is further elaborated in Bean's appearance in Fighters Megamix, where Bean's alternate costume makes him resemble Bin.
Sonic the Fighters
Bean is the seventh combatant during story mode and is in possession of the green Chaos Emerald and is fought in Dynamite Plant. Bean uses an array of bombs and other explosives to attack as well as rapid peck attacks. Sadly, Bean and Bark made no other appearances (other than their cameo in Generations) in any other Sonic games because they were created by Sega-AM2 and Sonic Team most likely doesn't want to use characters that they didn't create.
Virtua Striker 2
Bean appeared as a member of the MVP Yuki Chan team, a secret team in Virtua Stiker 2, the second installment in Sega's popular arcade soccer series released in 1997. To access said team, at the Team Select screen, press: down-right, start, down, left, start, right, start, right, down-left, start, down, start, start, start. 
Bean is an unlockable character in Fighters Megamix, a Beat 'em-up released on the Sega Saturn in 1996. His playable stage is not the Dynamite Plant but the Angel Island stage (probably because Grace's own stage, Big Factory, greatly resembles it).
He appeared as a collectable toy in Shenmue and Shenmue II.
Bean, as his moniker implies, is an explosive expert, Bean uses a great deal of bombs in combat that he seemingly pulls out of Hammerspace.
Apart from the use of bombs, Bean's secondary weapon is his beak, Bean's beak appears to be fairly strong and he can use his beak to deliver a rapid flurry of attacks.
Bean has only appeared in one game, and thus, his personality is hard to define. In Sonic the Fighters, Bean is characterized with rapid and erratic movements, showing that Bean has signs of hyperactivity.
Appearances in Other Media
He and Bark appear in issue #160 of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comic. During which, Bean jumps out of a window after Fiona Fox's keys, and is later knocked out by Shadow the Hedgehog. He also made a cameo in the series' 50th issue. Like Bark, he used to be part of a mercenary band led by Nack the Weasel. He is also known to be very annoying to Sonic.
He also appears in the Treasure Team Tango Arc (Issue #21-Issue #24) on Team Hooligan (Nack the Weasel, Bean, and Bark) trying to steal the Sol Emerald from Team Rose. When his Team is ambushed by Team Babylon (end of Issue #22), he finds Jet and reunites with Jet the Hawk (Issue #23) and asks Jet for photos.
- He is one of the three characters (along with Fang the Sniper and Mephiles the Dark) to have a title that does not refer to his species. Dynamite refers to his expertise in explosives.
- When Sonic Riders was published in Nintendo Power, many fans and reporters, jokingly, mistook Jet the Hawk for Bean due to their similar appearances.
- Bean made one more appearance than Bark the Polarbear in Virtua Striker 2.
- Bean was the first playable bird character.
- According to an interview in Sonic Central, Sonic doesn't know the whereabouts of Bean, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Mighty The Armadillo, Bark the Polarbear, or Nack the Weasel. This explains why these characters haven't made a game appearance for a long time.
- In Sonic Universe #23, Bean is described as a "Dynamite Duck", possibly a reference to the game Dynamite Dux. A far more obvious nod to his inspiration is found in The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, where one of Bean's suggested origins is that of having been created by Drs. Bin and Pin of the Battlebird Armada.
- Bean makes a cameo on the cover of Sonic X #34 as a pool floaty Tails has on. It should also be noted that there is a Sonic the Fighters logo on the Bean floaty.
- Bean is owned by Sega AM2, one of the few Sega branches that have been absorbed into Sega itself, yet has not appeared in any Sonic game since Sonic Generations.
- Bean the Dynamite Concept: "Mobius" (Real Character Profile)
|Sonic the Fighters|
|Characters||Sonic | Tails | Knuckles | Amy | Espio | Bark | Bean | Fang | Dr. Eggman | Honey|
|Locations||South Island | Tails' Lab | Death Egg II|
|Zones||South Island | Flying Carpet | Aurora Icefield | Canyon Cruise | Mushroom Hill | Casino Night | Dynamite Plant | Giant Wing | Death Egg's Eye | Egg Hangar|
|Other||E-Mech | Eggman Robot | Fake Fighter | Gallery | Hyper Mode | Lunar Fox | OST | Rocket Metal | Sunset Town|