Bean likes to throw bombs at his enemies for his amusement and defence.
Concept and creation
Bean is based on characters Bin and Pin from the 1989 Sega-AM2 arcade game, Dynamite Dux. The game consists of the two aforementioned characters attempting to rescue a girl called Lucy from the evil Sorcerer, Achacha. Bean is near identical to Bin and Pin, except Bean is green, has a red neckerchief, and wears Sonic-style shoes.
This is further elaborated in Bean's appearance in Fighters Megamix, where Bean's alternate costume makes him resemble Bin.
Sonic the Fighters
Bean is the seventh combatant during story mode and is in possession of the green Chaos Emerald and is fought in Dynamite Plant. Bean uses an array of bombs and other explosives to attack as well as rapid peck attacks. Sadly, Bean and Bark made no other appearances (other than their cameo in Generations) in any other Sonic games.
Virtua Striker 2
Bean appeared as a member of the MVP Yuki Chan team, a secret team in Virtua Stiker 2, the second installment in Sega's popular arcade soccer series released in 1997. To access said team, at the Team Select screen, press: down-right, start, down, left, start, right, start, right, down-left, start, down, start, start, start. 
Bean is an unlockable character in Fighters Megamix, a Beat 'em-up released on the Sega Saturn in 1996. His playable stage is not the Dynamite Plant but the Angel Island stage (probably because Grace's own stage, Big Factory, greatly resembles it).
He appeared as a collectable toy in Shenmue and Shenmue II.
Bean, as his moniker implies, is an explosive expert, Bean uses a great deal of bombs in combat that he seemingly pulls out of Hammerspace.
Apart from the use of bombs, Bean's secondary weapon is his beak, Bean's beak appears to be fairly strong and he can use his beak to deliver a rapid flurry of attacks.
Bean has only appeared in one game, and thus, his personality is hard to define. In Sonic the Fighters, Bean is characterized with rapid and erratic movements, showing that Bean has signs of hyperactivity.
Apperances in other media
Bean also appears in the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog and its spin-off comic series. He first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog #160 where he attacked Sonic on his birthday. During the fight, Bean jumps out of a window after Fiona Fox's keys, and is later knocked out by Shadow the Hedgehog. Like Bark, he used to be part of a mercenary band led by Nack the Weasel.
- He is one of the three characters (along with Fang the Sniper and Mephiles the Dark) to have a title that does not refer to his species. Dynamite refers to his expertise in explosives.
- When Sonic Riders was published in Nintendo Power, many fans and reporters, jokingly, mistook Jet the Hawk for Bean due to their similar appearances.
- Bean made one more appearance than Bark the Polarbear in Virtua Striker 2.
- Bean was the first playable bird character.
- According to an interview on Sonic Central, Sonic doesn't know the whereabouts of Bean, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Mighty the Armadillo, Bark the Polarbear, or Nack the Weasel.
- Bean makes a cameo on the cover of Sonic X #34 as a pool floaty Tails has on. It should also be noted that there is a Sonic the Fighters logo on the Bean floaty.
- Bean is owned by Sega AM2, one of the few Sega branches that have been absorbed into Sega itself, yet has not appeared in any Sonic game since Sonic Generations.
- ↑ Sega of America (March 2007). Sonic Central. Sega of America. “Stephen F. (a.k.a Sonic's number 1 fan.): Will Ray the Flying Squirrel, Bean the Duck, Chaos, Nack, Tikal, and Bark reappear? P.S: COOL SITE!!! / Sonic: Actually, I don't know exactly where they are…but we do have some old faces from the past that will be with me in Sonic Heroes…make sure to check 'em out!”
|Sonic the Fighters|
|Characters||Sonic | Tails | Knuckles | Amy | Espio | Bark | Bean | Fang | Dr. Eggman | Metal Sonic | Honey|
|Locations||South Island | Tails' Lab | Death Egg II|
|Arenas||South Island | Flying Carpet | Aurora Icefield | Mushroom Hill | Canyon Cruise | Casino Night | Dynamite Plant | Giant Wing | Death Egg's Eye | Death Egg's Hangar|
|Other||Chaos Emerald | E-Mech | Eggman Robot | Fake Fighter | Gallery | Hyper Mode | Lunar Fox | OST | Rocket Metal | Sunset Town|