Bean the Dynamite (ビーン・ザ・ダイナマイト Bīn za Dainamaito?) is a playable character in Sonic the Fighters. He is anthropomorphic woodpecker who competed in a fighting tournament for the Chaos Emeralds and the right to destroy the Death Egg II. In battle Bean is capable of throwing endless amount of bombs for his amusement and defense.
Concept and creation
Bean the Dynamite is based on characters Bin and Pin from the 1988 arcade game, Dynamite Dux developed by Sega AM2, where the aforementioned ducks attempt to rescue a girl called Lucy from the evil Sorcerer, Achacha. "Bean" is close to the Japanese pronunciation of "Bin". Bean is near identical to Bin and Pin, except for his green feathers and attire. In his first appearance of Sonic the Fighters, Bean is most likely designed by Masahiro Sugiyama, the character designer of the arcade game.
Bean was one of the participants in the fighting tournament held when Dr. Robotnik constructed the Death Egg II to take over earth with his robots. He is found as opponent in Dynamite Plant. Should Bean win this tournament, he would receive the Chaos Emeralds from the other participants in addition to his own, and get the right to use them for Tails's single-seat Lunar Fox which would take him to the Death Egg II to destroy it.
At the end of the tournament, the victor used the Chaos Emeralds to go to the Death Egg II and made it self-destruct moments after escaping it.
Other game appearances and cameos
Bean makes a cameo appearance in Sonic Mania. Right before the start of Mirage Saloon Zone Act 2, he, Fang the Sniper or Bark the Polar Bear (depending on the random pattern) can be seen standing on a Badnik while throwing a bomb towards the Tornado, making the biplane crash to the ground. Like in Sonic Generations, he is also seen on wanted posters through the Zone.
Bean also appears during the boss battle of Mirage Saloon Zone Act 2, where he is revealed to be one of the illusions created by the Heavy Magician. During the battle, Bean has a pattern consisting of throwing a couple of bombs and then hopping backwards or forward. Hitting him will make the Heavy Magician reveal herself.
Bean made an appearance as an unlockable character in Fighters Megamix, a beat'em-up game released on the Sega Saturn in 1996. Bean plays like any other Virtua Fighter character except he still has the ability to throw bombs. He is unlocked after defeating the 'Muscle' submode of the arcade mode and his alternate costume is blue recolor with shorter fringe and bow on his chest, who is in fact Bin from Dynamite Dux. His home stage is South Island.
Virtua Striker 2
Bean is a member of MVP Yuki Chan team, a secret team in Virtua Striker 2, the second installment in Sega's popular arcade soccer series released in 1997. To access said team, at the Team Select screen, press: start, ↘, start, ↓, ←, start, →, start, →, ↙, start, ↓, start, start and start. To play against MVP Yuki Chan team, press start, ↘, start, ↓, start, ←, start, →, start, →, start, ↙, start, ↓, start, start and start.
Shenmue and Shenmue II
Most of Bean's personality is hard to define, though he is characterized with rapid and erratic movements, suggesting that he is either hyperactivity or highly eccentric. Supposedly, he is also considered dangerous.
Powers and abilities
Bean, as his moniker implies, is an explosion expert who primarily attacks with bombs. It is unknown where he gets them from, but he seems to be able to produce them whenever needed, similar to how Amy pulls out her Piko Piko Hammer; his bombs however, are weak and can backfire if they explode too close up to Bean. In addition, Bean is very agile, rivaling the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog.
In combat, Bean is a flurry and strong fighter, capable of going up against experienced fighters like Sonic and Knuckles. His combat style revolves around heavy utilization of his bombs, either throwing or kicking them into opponent. Apart from the use of bombs, Bean's secondary weapon is his beak which he can use to deliver a rapid flurry of jabs to his opponents.
In other media
Bean appears in the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog and its spin-off comic series where he is a mercenary with an undefinable past. He first appeared to attack Sonic on his with his partner Bark, but was driven off by the Freedom Fighters and their allies. After serving Mammoth Mogul for a while, Bean Bark joined Nack as Team Hooligan to find a Sol Emerald, but they eventually had to give up the hunt after facing too much opposition.
- According to Bean's Japanese bio in Fighters Megamix Official Guide, Bin (the main character from the 1988 arcade game, Dynamite Dux, who Bean as a character is based on) is his father.
- Bean is one of the three characters (along with Fang the Sniper and Mephiles the Dark) to have a title that does not refer to his species. Dynamite refers to his expertise in explosives.
- When Sonic Riders was published in Nintendo Power, many fans and reporters, jokingly, mistook Jet the Hawk for Bean due to their similar appearances.
- According to an interview on Sonic Central, Sonic does not know the whereabouts of Bean, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Bark the Polar Bear, Nack the Weasel, Chaos or Tikal.
- Bean makes a cameo on the front cover of Sonic X #34 as a pool floaty Tails has on. It can also noticed that there is a Sonic the Fighters logo on the Bean floaty.
- ↑ Playing as Tails and Knuckles in Sonic Mania - Kinda Funny Plays. YouTube (26 October 2016). Retrieved on 26 October 2016.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Scans of Bark and Bean’s profiles in SEGA Official Books’ Fighters Megamix Official Guide.
- ↑ Dynamite Düx. Hardcore Gaming 101. Retrieved on 17 March 2015.
- ↑ The staff team of Sonic the Fighters listed on the GHZ.
- ↑ Sonic Museum - Cameos & Related Games
- ↑ GameWinners.com - Virtua Striker 2 (Arcade)
- ↑ File:Bean and Bark.png
- ↑ Sega of America (March 2007). Sonic Central. Sega of America. “Stephen F. (a.k.a Sonic's number 1 fan.): Will Ray the Flying Squirrel, Bean the Duck, Chaos, Nack, Tikal, and Bark reappear? P.S: COOL SITE!!! / Sonic: Actually, I don't know exactly where they are…but we do have some old faces from the past that will be with me in Sonic Heroes…make sure to check 'em out!”