|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- For the version of this character after the Super Genesis Wave, see Bean the Dynamite (Archie).
Bean the Dynamite is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is a particularly goofy and wacky mobian duck mercenary who deserted the Battle Bird Armada and took up the life of a bounty hunter for hire by partnering with the stoic Bark the Polar Bear. Their career has included work with Fiona Fox and Nic the Weasel, jobs for the likes of Dr. Eggman and Mammoth Mogul, and even joining Team Hooligans alongside Nack the Weasel. As such, he has come into conflict a number of times with Sonic the Hedgehog and other members of the Knothole Freedom Fighters.
Bean is a green humanoid duck with blue eyes. His beak and legs are yellow (though the latter are often mis-colored green); he wears a red ascot around his neck, white gloves and red-and-white shoes. The shoes are largely identical to those of Sonic the Hedgehog, including the gold buckle, though the white stripes sometimes bear more detail. Bean's eyes have occasionally been miscolored red.
Origins for Bean varies wildly. Some claim he was a dark magic/bio-weapon hybrid created by Drs. Bin and Pin of the Battle Bird Armada. Others say he was a mutate from the Forgotten War or an alien life-form trying to fit in on Mobius. Whatever the truth Bean has had some ties to the Battle Bird Armada as Storm claims the Grand Battle Kukku XV tried to kill him. He has also recognized Predator Hawk as a deserter from the Armada, and Predator has indicated that Bean might likewise be one. Bean also associated with Nic the Weasel's gang, which also included Bark the Polar Bear and Fiona Fox. At a time, he competed alongside Fiona and Bark in an illegal fighting tournament, at some point losing thoroughly to Rouge the Bat. At some point, he and Bark struck out as partners, despite being polar opposites.
Bean's first encounter with Sonic the Hedgehog was when Dr. Eggman hired him and Bark to attack Sonic on his birthday. Sonic assumed the two had mistaken Evil Sonic for him, but Bean dismissed the idea. The two attacked the recently rebuilt Freedom HQ and everyone inside. However, Fiona used Bean's weakness of shiny things and threw a set of keys out a window, forcing Bean to jump after them and leave the fight. While playing with the keys in the grass, he was found and promptly knocked unconscious by Shadow the Hedgehog. Bean was brought back to Freedom HQ by the black hedgehog, but while everyone was dealing with Bark and Shadow's entrance, he woke up, managed to sneak into the Brain Trust's room and contacted Eggman to nonchalantly report that he and Bark had failed. Bean and Bark were fired after this, although the green duck did not seem too distressed about it. When Eggman's newest creation, Croctobot, attacked Freedom HQ. Bean and Bark used this opportunity to escape, although Fiona tried to stop them. Bean suggested she rejoin them but she said she couldn't, as she was now a Freedom Fighter. Bean playfully doubted this and left.
After this, Bean and Bark were rehired by Dr. Eggman to verify the rumors of Rouge having the Master Emerald. While the rumors were false, this led to Bean and Bark running into Sonic and Antoine with Extreme Gear, which Bean stated he got from an armada. Sonic fought Bean, who called the names of boarding tricks while the Gear spun in the air before Sonic managed to knock him out while Antoine subdued Bark. Having been defeated, Bean was sent to Knothole Prison along with Bark, Nack the Weasel, Mammoth Mogul, and Ixis Naugus.
During Eggman's Egg Fleet attack on Knothole, Bean was captured and sent to the Egg Grape Chamber along with the rest of the prisoners and inhabitants of Knothole. Bean would be later freed by Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, and Amy. When everyone was sent to New Mobotropolis, Bean, along with Bark and Nack, sided with Mammoth Mogul, who was attempting to take control of the city. Fortunately, Nicole teleported all of the criminals to the new city's prison, an experience Bean declared "awesome." While in the prison, Bean mocked Prince Elias, demanding his shiny crown, made numerous jokes regarding Sonic and Tails, and watched the unfolding fight between Sonic and Tails.
Bean later escaped from prison alongside his partners, after Mogul had forced Sonic and Ash Mongoose to get him the Gray Chaos Emerald from Castle Acorn, thus restoring Mogul's chaos-based powers. Free from his cell, Bean started to harass Ash by trying to steal his sunglasses. Shortly afterwards, Bean and his fellow prisoners were teleported by Mogul out of the prison, to which Bean promised to write to Sonic every day.
Working for Mogul
Bean, along with Bark, Nack, and the Destructix would later be officially hired by Mammoth Mogul to "steal" Sonic's shoes (with or without Sonic's feet still in them). Outside of Freedom HQ, Bean and Bark ambushed Sonic and Sally Acorn. Sally was able to distract Bean by getting him to notice how shiny one of his bombs was, causing him to clutch it in awe until it exploded. Afterwards, the Destructix began to attack Sonic while Bean and Bark watched, Bean cheering on the Destructix. Sally quickly told Bean and Bark she would pay them double whatever Mogul offered to help Sonic. Bean and Bark accepted and started helping Sonic fight against their former allies. When Bean and Bark failed to protect Sonic, they decided to go back to Mogul's side and returned to the Casino Night Zone with the Destructix while Nack stayed behind to finish off Sally. While at the casino's new kitchen, the Bottom of the Barrel Bar 'n' Grill, Bean kept pestering Sonic with odd questions about Sally and their "future children," which ended up thoroughly creeping Sonic out. However, after Sally, Amy, and Geoffrey St. John showed up and freed Sonic, Bean was then slid along a nearby table by Sonic, to which Bean enjoyed.
Treasure Team Tango
Bean subsequently joined up with Nack and Bark to form Team Hooligans. The new team soon went in search of the missing Sol Emerald, after both Team Rose and Team Dark were found to be in pursuit of the emerald as well. Team Hooligan went to hide in the Great Forest at first, where they spied on the other two teams. Team Hooligan made its move when they captured Cheese who attempted to get the Sol Emerald to safety. After Cream the Rabbit of Team Rose was caught by Bark, Bean thought she was the most adorable thing he had ever seen and begged Nack to let him keep her as their team mascot, when both Amy and Blaze the Cat showed up, demanding Cream's release. Team Hooligan later made a speedy retreat on Nack's bike, only to have Blaze, using her flame powers, send the bike and its passengers flying. Bean became lodged in a tree and berated Nack for how he could have completely missed that Amy was there while he watched their every move. When Team Dark arrived to confront Team Rose, Bean readily agreed with Nack that it was time to leave before anyone realized they still had the Emerald. During their getaway, Bean held the emerald with a mesmerized look in his eyes, unaware that they were being followed by someone else.
As they rode through the forest, Nack called attention to the zeppelin tailing them. As they tried to outrace the blimp, it began to drop bombs; one explosion threw the bike and its passengers into the air (again), causing Bean to cackle in utter delight. The hooligans soon found their pursuers to be none other than the Babylon Rouge, who had picked up the odd signal themselves and decided to take the treasure. To their surprise, Bean quickly caught the Rogues' leader Jet the Hawk in a hug, happy to see him. Despite Bean clinging to him, Jet went after the Sol Emerald. Nack the Weasel attempted to shoot the Rogues with his sniper rifle in order to take back the Sol Emerald, but Bean inadvertently kept ruining his shots. Eventually Nack, aiming at Jet, shot the emerald itself, causing it to erupt into a massive ring of flame, which impressed Bean and threw the Rogues to the ground. When the Rogues attempted to retaliate by remotely having their blimp drop its storage of bombs, Bean, as though conducting an orchestra, caused the bombs to detonate prematurely well above the ground, much to everyone's surprise. When Teams Rose and Dark finally caught up, a four-way fight for the Emerald was about to break out; Bean, grinning crazily, asked Nack, "I make boom now, yes?" and hefted a bomb. Nack coldly confirmed that there would be "lots of boom."
Bean spent most of the ensuing melee generally being obviously annoying or simply an easy target for more seasoned combatants. When Blaze the Cat finally got her hands on the Sol Emerald, Bean offered to toss her something else: a lit bomb. However, being pyrokinetic, Blaze simply snuffed the fuse. The bomb's failure to explode utterly shocked and bewildered Bean, and he began to "mourn" for the bomb, blaming himself for throwing it out into the world before it was ready. Pledging to remember it always, he soon began to deliberate the bomb's name (Cecil, Abigail, Jamie, Kendall...) while largely ignoring the continued scuffle for the Sol Emerald. Eventually, Cream the Rabbit took him by the hand and told him it's time to join his friends, and Bean followed without protest. He was thus unaware that he, along with Nack, Bark, Jet, Wave and Storm, had essentially been corralled together as part of an effort to finally end the battle. With a snap of her fingers, Blaze re-ignited the bomb in Bean's hands; he was utterly delighted even as it exploded upon the entire group. Thrilled that his bomb had finally gone off and distracted by the loss of feeling in his hands, Bean seemed unfazed that his team lost the fight for the Emerald and happily agreed that it was time to leave when a blackened Bark carried off the unconscious Nack and followed after them.
While Bean and his companions were not seen for a while after the Sol Emerald incident, he and his associates were caught twice in the reality-warping Genesis Wave unleashed by Dr. Eggman. While Sonic managed to reverse the effects of both waves, he was interrupted while undoing the second one, resulting in Bean and everyone else's timeline being heavily altered.
- Note: From this point, Bean's history continues from his new life in the altered timeline.
Bean is a rather goofy and eccentric being, prone to mood swings and extreme reactions. He seems to take little seriously and his logic is often dubious, though he's capable of moments of surprising clarity and intelligence. He tends to make irreverent, nonsensical or borderline inappropriate comments, often indifferent to any offense he may cause. His moods and reactions are extremely unpredictable; while generally an eager being, he is capable of being friendly and easy-going as easily as he can be indignant and angry. While he may be crazy, he's still potentially dangerous; he also seems to enjoy keeping his origins a mystery.
Bean has a habit of assigning others complicated nicknames in lieu of their proper names. He has an obsession with shiny objects as well as great love for bombs and explosions of all kinds. In spite of all his crimes, Bean has shown a noble side, and his bounty hunter career may simply be a case of being led down the wrong path.
Powers and abilities
Bean has the ability to summon black, round bombs from nowhere in a puff of purple smoke at will, though there is no telling where he gets them from. His explosives do not usually do much harm, though they are strong enough to knock someone off their feet and create burns. Probably his most frightening ability is that he also has control over all manner of explosives and can cause them to self-detonate on will alone. He also has access to Extreme Gear thanks to being a former member of the Battlebird Armada. Pragmatic when it comes to combat, he's not above using his beak to peck at others.
Bark the Polarbear
Bean and Bark are close friends despite their differences, though Bean occasionally annoys his Polar Bear partner. Bean in particular holds much animosity for Bark, but, in spite of it all, he loves him like a brother.
Fiona Fox and Bean appear to have a friendly relationship as they have worked together on missions frequently.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Bean appears not to have any animosity towards Sonic the Hedgehog, but Bean's habit of being on the wrong side and his annoying personality tends to irritate Sonic.
- Team Hooligans
- Battle Bird Armada (formerly)
- Destructix (formerly)
- Fiona Fox (formerly, Pre-Super Genesis Wave)
- Babylon Rogues (formerly)
- Mammoth Mogul
- Ixis Naugus
- Battle Bird Armada
- Babylon Rogues
- Freedom Fighters
- Team Rose
- Bean has had several cameos on numerous covers, mostly non-canon, though someone resembling him appeared in a flashback shown in Sonic the Hedgehog #50, as a soldier during the Great War, along with Bark (or someone looking like him), an unidentified panda, and a few lesser Sega characters, including Astal, and Ristar. The canonicity is still debatable, given recent developments.
- While talking to Shadow, Bean says "Shine get!", an obvious reference to popular video game, Super Mario Sunshine.
- Bean was the second character to make reference to the Battle Bird Armada, leading fans to believe that he, the Babylon Rogues, and Predator Hawk were all deserters of that group. Bean and Jet of the Rogues' membership was confirmed in the Sonic Universe Blog, as has Predator Hawk's in addition to association with Bean.
- Sonic Universe Volume 5: The Tails Adventure included concept storyline in which Bean would have been the grandson of Grand Battle Kukku XV and the cousin of Speedy. The pair would also have shared a rivalry started by their fathers at the urging of the Battle Lord.
- It is highly possible that Bean is a kleptomaniac, due to his fascination of shiny objects, and urge to go after them. An example of this is when Fiona Fox threw a shiny pair of keys out a window and Bean jumped out the window after them.
- Bean has made two background cameos in Sonic Universe #30, once in Fiona's flashback attacking a guard and once in Predator Hawk's flashback in the Armada locker room.
- Unlike his main series counterpart (who is a woodpecker), Bean is a duck.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Bean and Bark"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #173, "Round Up!"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #187, "Mister Popular"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Sonic Universe #23, "Treasure Team Tango Step Three: The Llevada"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #160, "Birthday Bash! Part One: Giving and Receiving"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #165, "Leak"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #161, " Birthday Bash! Part Two: Birthday Boys"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #175, "Eggman Empire"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #176, "Cracking the Empire"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #177, "Home, New Home"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #178, "House of Cards Part 1 of 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #179, "House of Cards Part Two: Royal Flush"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #186, "Mogul Rising Part Two: Devil's Due"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #188, "Beating the House"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #22, "Treasure Team Tango Step Two: The Cruzada"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #24, "Treasure Team Tango Step Four: The Parada"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #225, "One Step Forward..."
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #229, "Genesis Part Four: Reset"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #247, "At All Costs Part One: Fate Interrupted"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #251, "When Worlds Collide Finale: Best of the Best"
- ↑ Ian Flynn (9 February 2009). Ask Ian for FEB'09 - Novelty Answer Month - Finis~. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 20 July 2015.
- ↑ Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 160, Page 7, Panel 4
- ↑ http://www.archiecomics.com/cgi-bin/movabletype/mt-search.cgi?blog_id=36&tag=battle%20bird%20aramda&limit=10
- ↑ http://archiecomics.com/blog/sonic_universe/2010/06/signs-of-the-armada---part-three.html