|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Bem are a species that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They are an alien race of scientists who in the past have traveled the galaxy exploring new planets and encountering new forms of life. They live on the planet Argentium, which is also the site of a powerful artificial wormhole that they have used to travel to the Mobius solar system. At the present, the Bem's homeworld has been decimated by fighting between the Xorda and Black Arms races.
The Bem are an all-female race where each individual appear to be near-identical to each other, with four arms, green skin, and bald heads without noses.
Characteristics and culture
The Bems pursue science all over. Due to their organization skills and solid government, they served as an example for most other races.
The Bems are known for interfering in the affairs of other species several tomes with the intention of helping them, only to end up making a situation worse. All known specimens have the name "Ceneca" along with a multiple-digit number as a surname.
The Bems are rule collectively by a council known as the Argentium High Command.
The creation of De-Roboticization
Having developed interstellar space travel, the Bem made contact with numerous alien races, including the inhabitants of Biotex, which unfortunately led to unintended extinction of the race. They later reached Mobius, with scientist Ceneca-9009 observing and taking a personal interest in the First Robotnik War. Despite the collective pleas of herself and Amadeus and Rosemary Prower (whom she rescued), the Bem took no part in the conflict against Dr. Robotnik, leaving it to the Mobian Freedom Fighters. Eventually, she returned to Mobius during the Second Robotnik War, and at the orders of the Bem High Council conducted an experiment evaluating the performance of Robians against purely organic beings using Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Dr. Eggman, and Snively Robotnik. Based on Sonic and Tails' victory, the Bem decided to Roboticize all of Mobius' inhabitants, a decision which Ceneca-9009 defied, choosing instead to return all Robians to normal and make all Mobians immune to the effects of Roboticization.
Saving Super Shadow
The Bem soon fled the Mobius system as the Xorda arrived seeking vengeance for actions committed against their race by the planet's inhabitants when it had been known as Earth. Before doing so, they imbued Shadow the Hedgehog, whom they had found floating in space and studied, with enough energy to assume his Super Shadow form and thus hold off the enemy ship. When Ceneca-9009 returned, she was charged with disobedience of the High Council's decision and sentenced to death, a fate made seemingly inescapable by the Bem's lock down of any and all travel in order to avoid provoking the Xorda. Fortunately, she was able to escape with the help of Sonic, who had arrived on Argentium following his own battle with the Xorda.
Xorda-Black Arms war
- Artificial Wormhole: A device that allowed instantaneous travel from one part of the galaxy to another.
- The Bem share their name with a character from Star Trek: The Animated Series, and the term originates from the science fiction phrase "Bug Eyed Monster." The character from Star Trek was, like the race, a green-skinned being with advanced technology, but unlike all known Bem was known to be male.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Alien Races"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #118, "Robotnik's Return"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #123, "The Last Robian"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Sonic the Hedgehog #129, "Tossed in Space Part 7: Welcome to Wheelworld"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #124, "Sonic Adventure 2.5: Alpha"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "Coming and Goings"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #171, "I Am"