Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
|Black Bot the Pirate|
"Black Bot the Pirate" title screen.
26 October 1993
"Black Bot the Pirate" is the forty-eighth episode of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series. Despite being produced as the forty-eighth episode, it originally aired as the thirty-seventh episode during the show's original run. This episode is the first part of the "Quest for the Chaos Emeralds" saga.
- Dr. Robotnik
- Professor Caninestein
- Black Beard/Blackbot the Pirate
- Hedgehog in a Polka dot bikini (Only appearance)
- Hedgehog in a speedo (Only appearance)
- Goldfish (Only appearance)
- Robot Whale (formerly flesh and blood) (Only appearance)
- Time Cop
Dr. Robotnik has kidnapped Professor Caninestein and has forced him to build him a time machine against his will. With the time machine Robotnik plans to travel through time and collect the four Chaos Emeralds to grant him the powers of invisibility, invincibility, immortality and life itself. With the four emeralds he plans to take over Mobius first then the entire universe. Scratch mistakes it for a vacuum cleaner and tries it out, only to go back to the time of Pilgrims and comes back as a roast chicken, Grounder asks what happened and Scratch reveals that the Pilgrims tried to eat him for dinner, then they said he tastes lousy. Robotnik is overjoyed that the time machine worked. Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder all hop in the time machine and leave.
Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder arrive on the ship of Black Beard the pirate. Robotnik zaps Black Beard with his Robot-Transmogrifier Ray which roboticizes Black Beard into Blackbot the Pirate. Blackbot shows Robotnik a map that will lead him to the Chaos Emerald of Invisibility.
Sonic and Tails arrive on the ship and start dealing with Scratch, Grounder and Blackbot. Blackbot catches Tails, ties him up and has him walk the plank. Sonic jumps into the water to save his friend. Dr. Robotnik fires his robot transmogrifier ray at them. Sonic laughs because he thinks Robotnik missed. He soon finds out that Robotnik hit his target, a whale which is now a robot whale that swallows Sonic and Tails.
Inside the whale, Sonic rearranges some circuits in the brain and gains control of the robot from the interior. The now happy whale lets Sonic and Tails out at Shark Island and they go after Robotnik.
Robotnik and company find where the chaos emerald is buried, but Sonic quickly tunnels underground and gets it first and leaves a decoy for Robotnik to find. However, Robotnik uses his time machine to catch Sonic just as he comes out of his tunnel. They open the chest which they think is empty. Sonic figures out that the Chaos Emerald itself is invisible. Sonic uses it to torment Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder and he spin dashes Blackbot to pieces. Robotnik throws sand in Sonic's eyes and gets the emerald and turns invisible himself. He then steals Sonic's Atomic Relativity Boots and tears them up so to trap Sonic in the past. Robotnik leaves. Sonic writes a note to Professor Caninestein asking for another pair of boots and puts it in the treasure chest. The new pair arrives immediately.
While traveling through time, Sonic catches up to Robotnik and steals the emerald from him and he and Tails go back to their own time.
Sonic teaches Tails that swords and knives are not toys.
- The alternate name of this episode is "Quest for the Chaos Emeralds (1); Time for Trouble".
- The girl who Sonic calls "a cute little Hedgehog in a Polka dot bikini" looks almost identical to Breezie.
- Blackbot calls Sonic a "Blue rat" the same condescending name that Erazor Djinn calls him in Sonic and the Secret Rings.
- Dr. Robotnik says his catchphrase "I hate that hedgehog!" in the middle of this episode rather than the end.
- Sonic is shown to be able to swim in this episode.
- The line "you'll be able to run on the circuits of the planet at the speed of light and enter the time warp" is said by professor Caninestein in all four episodes of saga.
- The song Sonic sings is a parody of the nursery rhyme "Rock-a-bye Baby".