|Blaze the Cat|
Blaze the Cat
|Also known as||
95 cm (3'1")
Lavender, violet, white
|Alignment and character traits|
|Skills, abilities and powers|
|Moves and techniques|
Blaze the Cat (ブレイズ・ザ・キャット Bureizu za Kyatto?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. She is an anthropomorphic, fourteen-year-old, lavender cat and is a princess hailing from an alternate dimension, where she is both the regent of her world and the appointed guardian of the Sol Emeralds, a role similar to that of Sonic and Knuckles combined. She is gifted with the power of pyrokinesis, which lets her create, control and manipulate fire in any way she pleases.
Blaze is normally calm, elegant and level-headed, but tends to conceal her true feelings. Devoted to her position, she sometimes gets herself bogged down by her own self-imposed strict discipline, which made her anti-social, withdrawn, and initially unfamiliar to the concept of having friends. After spending time with Sonic, however, Blaze was able to discover the true meaning of friendship, allowing her to accomplish tasks for the good of her people and the innocent which she could never do alone.
Concept and Creation
An undated concept of Blaze which was very similar to her final design except her eyes were rounder and her ponytail was turned front instead of back, she was supposed to wear clothing similar to the Arabs, since she was wearing a shalwar and a mid-riff top.
According to the early character spread sheet files of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) it is mentioned that Blaze wears a cape to hide her flames because she was teased. However this "cape" concept has not been shown clearly in games whether her purple outfit is the cape. This was later clarified by the concept artwork gallery in the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations where one of the pictures showed Blaze wearing a white and pink laced cape. One of the Sonic Channel 2013 2-D images shows her wearing a purple cape.
An ex-member of SEGA on Sonic Wrecks released concept art of Blaze which was said to be done in early 2005 in PowerPoint documents . Her design was very similar to that of Shadow's however it is possible the character was in a mere silhouette form.
Blaze is the royal Princess (sometimes referred to as "Queen") of an alternate dimension where she served as the guardian of the Sol Emeralds. She was born with the power of flames, or pyrokinesis, which she formally addressed as a "curse".
When she was appointed as the guardian of the Sol Emeralds, this duty caused her to isolate herself from the companionship of others and she ended up living a very isolated life as she followed her duty. Without accepting any real friends, she came to believe that she never had to rely on anyone else by pushing them aside, which led to her often "carrying the weight of the world on her own shoulders". Because of this she never understood the Sol Emeralds' true power. Her arch-nemesis in her world was Dr. Eggman Nega.
In Sonic Rush, Blaze's dimension and Sonic the Hedgehog's are in flux with one another, allowing the characters to travel from one to the other through a tear in the space-time continuum. Blaze is the only playable character in Sonic Rush aside from Sonic himself.
When Dr. Eggman came to her world and stole the Sol Emeralds, the Sol Emeralds summoned her through the space-time tear that lead to Sonic's world, where she set about recovering the Emeralds from him. Early on this mission she encountered Cream the Rabbit, who immediately took on the role of Blaze's guide and close friend, despite Blaze's misgivings. Blaze was surprised at the openness and naivety of the young rabbit, especially when she was invited into Cream's house almost immediately after meeting her for the first time. Cream set about teaching Blaze the meaning of friendship. They encountered several of Cream's friends (including Knuckles and Amy) who all suggested that Blaze ask Sonic for help. However, she was so convinced that she needed no help that when she and Sonic did actually cross paths, she attacked him. After a brief battle, she admitted her mistake.
After the battle she gained the last of the Sol Emeralds. However, just as she had recovered from her victory, Eggman appeared and demanded that he meet with Blaze alone and that he kidnapped Cream. Angered, Blaze pursued Eggman to Unknown and defeated his giant robot. After searching frantically through the robot's ruins, she found Cream and the two left, presuming Eggman was defeated.
Having collected all the Sol Emeralds, Blaze was surprised that their power did not return her to her world. As she was contemplating this, Eggman and Eggman Nega appeared in a giant mech. Blaze fought them, but they easily defeated her and drained the power of the Sol Emeralds. Hopeless about her plight, Blaze was surprised when Sonic showed up. He told her that the true power of the Chaos Emeralds and Sol Emeralds came from people's friendship and encouraged her to open up to other people and recognize the friends she made on her journey. Finally appreciating the value of friendship, and the need to accept help from others from time to time, Blaze began to realize the true power of the Sol Emeralds, recharging them and for the first time used their power to transform into Burning Blaze. As Burning Blaze, she and Super Sonic successfully stopped Eggman and Eggman Nega from taking over the universe and at the same time repairing the tear in the space-time continuum and once again separating their worlds. Afterward, she and Sonic promise to see each other again and say their goodbyes as they shake hands, being torn apart by their respective dimensions being returned to normal.
On the path back to her dimension, she remembers Sonic's word of advice on friendship and trust and that she now had that power. Reassured, she said to her imagination of Sonic that they would definitely meet again, and headed back to her world.
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Throughout Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Blaze follows Silver who shows signs of insecurity when she is not around. At the end of Silver's story, Silver tries to seal Iblis inside of his soul, but the Flames of Disaster wouldn't accept him as the vessel. Blaze ends up sealing Iblis inside her soul, and begs Silver to use Chaos Control to seal them into another dimension. Silver refuses because he could never do that to her. Blaze performs the deed herself and replies, "You're still so naive. But, I...I've always liked that about you..." as she floats towards the sky into another dimension. Later, Sonic and the others destroy Solaris in all existing timelines which eventually led to the events of the game erased from history, meaning Blaze still exists. Blaze's and Silver's meeting, therefore, never existed.
Sonic Rush Adventure
Blaze returns in Sonic Rush Adventure once again as the only playable character apart from Sonic. She appears to stop Captain Whisker, a robotic pirate, along with his crew from stealing the mystical Jeweled Scepter, which is acclaimed to have the power to control her world's geological activities. While trying to protect the scepter, Blaze bumps into Sonic, both of them surprised to see each other. It is revealed that Sonic has entered Blaze's dimension. In the end, after Super Sonic and Burning Blaze defeat Eggman and Eggman Nega, Tails creates a vessel for him and Sonic to return to their universe. Before Sonic's departure, he and Blaze shake hands once again, to signify respect and their growing friendship.
Sonic Colors (DS)
Blaze appears in the DS version of Sonic Colors as a non-playable character in Sweet Mountain Zone. She first appears in mission 2-1, where she explains that the Sol Emerald she was holding started to glow and she was transported there. Her mission is for Sonic to destroy 20 Eggman Robots. The second time she appears is with Silver, whom she meets for the first time, are both being challenged by Orbot and Cubot. They scare the robots away with their fire and psychic powers. Then, they ask Sonic to test out a ride for his mission, which is timed. They thank Sonic for testing it out and he leaves.
In the console/PC version of Sonic Generations, Blaze attended and helped prepare Sonic's surprise birthday party. As the party began, however, the Time Eater suddenly appeared and Blaze was sucked into one of the Time Eater's Time Holes and ended up in the White Space, where she was turned into a statue due to the Time Eater's effects.
Eventually, Blaze was returned to normal by Classic Sonic (Sonic's past self) and Modern Sonic (Sonic's present self). When Classic and Modern Sonic confronted the Time Eater, which was revealed to be controlled by Modern Eggman and Classic Eggman, Blaze arrived at the battle with the others and cheered on both Sonics, allowing them both to transform into Super Sonic. When the Sonics defeated the Time Eater, Blaze and the others were sent back to the present. Continuing with the celebration, Blaze later waved goodbye to Classic Sonic and Classic Tails as they returned to their own time.
Other Game Appearances
Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2
Sonic and the Secret Rings
In Sonic and the Secret Rings, Blaze is a playable character in party mode. She's unlocked when the player collects 105 Fire Souls in the adventure mode. However, she has no relation to the main story.
Sonic and the Black Knight
Blaze takes on the role of Sir Percival in Sonic and the Black Knight. She is the last Knight of the Round Table Sonic will fight, and the first to call him the "Knight of the Wind". After their fight, she falls from over a pit of lava, and Sonic and Caliburn save her just in time. She is initially confused as to why Sonic saved her, as it is customary to kill an opponent after defeating them in battle. Sonic's defeat and subsequent chivalrous rescue of Percival is what finally earns him Caliburn's respect and the official title of "Knight of the Wind". After Merlina spreads dark magic in the second half in the game, Percival goes off to put her sword in the shrine. She thinks Sonic is kidding at first when he explains his plan, but when she sees he means what he says, she bids him good luck. Despite only being Blaze's counterpart, she can use fire. She is referred to as "Sir Percival" in-game, even though she is clearly female, since "Sir" is an honorific used by all knights regardless of gender (the term "Dame" only applies within the orders of chivalry).
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity and Sonic Free Riders
In Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity and Sonic Free Riders, Blaze appears as an unlockable racer. Her type of character is Speed. She's the only unlockable female Speed type racer. She is unlocked by beating the Babylon story in story mode. Her Extreme Gear is called Flame Lance; referencing her pyrokinesis. It can grind on rails meaning that it is Speed Type.
Sega Superstars Tennis
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Blaze appears as one of trophies and Stickers.
|Trophy||A princess from another dimension and guardian of the Sol Emeralds, also known as Blaze The Cat. Blaze is calm but often seems to be dealing with some inner turmoil. She's also extremely hard on herself, and as a result, she comes across as somewhat shy. She learns to open up after meeting Sonic and his crew and can use the Sol Emeralds to become Burning Blaze.|
|Sticker||Sonic Rush||Shield Recovery +7|
Mario & Sonic Series
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Blaze appears as a well-balanced playable character in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Her outfit is not her usual attire, rather she wears sports clothing. Blaze is an "All-Around" character who excels in Speed.
Blaze has Five missions and Boss battle in DS and Wii versions of this game.
- Continue a rally for at least 10 hits.
- Throw 3 times, increasing your distance each time.
- Perform a 20-step combo with command inputs (X,Y,B,A)
- Finish within 0.5 seconds of Peach.
- Win after coming back from a 200-point decifit.
- Defeat Daisy in Table Tennis.
- Finish in 1st place in 4X100m Freestyle.
- Jump right after the foul line in Triple Jump.
- Start after Amy, then pass her in 400m.
- Recover 2 times from staggers on landing in vault
- Reach the goal before Peach.
- Do not collide to your rivals in a Dream Race
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Blaze appeared again as a playable character. Her athlete's uniform is changed to fit the winter climate, which appears to be a variant of her normal outfit (her coat exposes less of her at the front than with the normal outfit). The fur on the sleeves on her jacket is purple as opposed to the usual white. The clothing reappeared in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games in an Equestrian event. She is still an All-Around type character who excels speed. Blaze's signature move for the Wii and DS version is Quick Tornado and for the DS version, Quick Slide.
Blaze has a minigame called "Move the blocks"; where she must use her fire powers and move the signed blocks to the same signed floor. If player makes a mistake, the player can move Blaze to the red button and reset the puzzle by pressing it.
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
In Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Blaze is again a playable character. Like all the other female athletes Blaze has her outfit changed for swimming, gymnastics and Equestrian. Her gymnastics and swimming outfit is a dark purple tunic with long black skin-tight shorts. The long shirt is sleeveless and she also wears two red bracelets, a gold necklace, and dark purple slippers.
"Blaze the Cat, Another one of Sonic's friends is an all-around competitor. As her name indicates, she also possesses no small amount of speed and will be formidable contender in events like 4X100m relay"
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Blaze made her fourth Olympic Apperance in Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games She Appears on Team 4 in Legends Showdown.
Blaze is normally calm, solemn and level headed, but tend to conceal her true feelings. She is often described to be elegant, which is demonstrated through her body movements and her fighting style which is very similar to ballet.
Being royalty, Blaze is quite mannerly and typically maintains a relatively quiet, stoic and formal air among others. She tends to have body language less casual than most others, such as in Sonic Generations where she stands straight and tight rather than relaxed like the rest of the cast. She also usually speaks in a formal, polite and lady-like tone. While it seems like Blaze keeps her emotions in check, she has a fiery temper and is aggressive, rough, harsh and prone to bad decisions when angry. Also, despite being honored of her royalty, Blaze is down-to-Earth and dislikes being formally called by her title.
Blaze is very serious and devoted to her position as princess and guardian of the Sol Emeralds which is motivated by her own genuine concern for others' safety. She is also very protective of the Sol Emeralds, initially suspecting anyone even looking at them the wrong way. Blaze is usually highly disciplined and focused, consciously forcing herself to not lose focus, and can be quite stubborn once she has put her mind to something, causing her to become impatient and her anger to flare up easily. When dealing with enemies, she never holds back her strength and is not above the idea of using lethal force. Because of her own self-imposed strict discipline though, she is often tense and frequently suffers from a high degree of self-pressure.
Initially, Blaze held a personal dislike of her pyrokinesis because it left her to bear her responsibilities alone, which made her see her flames as a curse. She later learns to accept her powers from Sonic's advice and came to see them as a blessing.
Because of her past, Blaze developed a habit of doing her tasks alone, making her anti-social, withdrawn and introverted. As such, she lacks in social skills, finds it hard to open up and talk to people, and comes off as shy. She would also be wary and curt towards strangers, shut people off and frequently reject others' offers to help, even become defensive and angry when help was offered. This attitude also made her somewhat selfish as she berate Sonic despite him offering help and eventually ended up fighting him.
After interacting with Sonic, Cream and their friends, Blaze developed much more socially, making her more amiable, friendly and gentle towards others. She also came to understand the true meaning of friendship, making her willing to trust and accept help from others. While she still prefers handling things on her own and remains somewhat reclusive, she will accept her friends' help and is genuine grateful for their aid. At the time of Sonic Generations, she is seemingly much more sociable, participating in a party simply for the sake of friendship and is much quicker to open up and relax in front of her friends.
Blaze is very honest and almost blunt when dealing with annoyances such as Marine, at one point outright telling her that she is a nuisance. She also had a tendency of judging others poorly and sees less worth in others in Sonic Rush, making her somewhat overconfident and arrogant.
Blaze suffers from acrophobia. Just the sight of heights makes her terrified, nervous and uncomfortable, which is demonstrated when she nearly paralyzes upon looking down from edge of Sky Babylon. Regardless, she is not much for admitting her fear and will try to hide it, attempting to keep her emotions in check.
Powers and Abilities
Blaze’s main special ability is her pyrokinesis, the ability to create and control fire in any way she desires. Since she has possessed this power at birth, Blaze is very adept at using it for various purposes. She can conjure up flames at any place on or all over her body, allowing her to form a cloak of flames, increase her attack power, burn her opponent and melt frozen creatures/objects without harming them. She can also use her flames to propel herself forward, either increasing her speed or granting her limited flight. She can even raise large columns of fire from the ground and launch herself as burning meteor. Beside offense, she can also use her pyrokinesis defensively by conjuring up fields of fire around her to protect her. She can even handle it delicate enough to creates small flames or embers in the palm of her hands.
Blaze's pyrokinesis gives her limited heat resistance, making her invulnerable to certain types of flames, such as those found in the environment.
The flames Blaze produces seems to be unaffected by water, as she is able to create flames even when submerged in water, although this could be a game mechanic. Her pyrokinesis is not only limited to the flames she herself can generate, but also the fire found in the environment, allowing her to extinguish foreign flames or bend them to her liking.
Like many other characters in the Sonic series, Blaze is able to run at super speed, though she is still not as fast as Sonic or Shadow. She is still remarkably fast and possesses high speed movements and fast reflexes, something which even Sonic has acknowledged.
In line with her graceful nature, Blaze is also a quick thinker with lucid movements. She is incredibly acrobatic and nimble, and possesses impressive dexterity. She is shown being able to jump very long distances, while landing perfectly safely, and can while airborne perform several tricks with precise movements. On the ground she is also able to perform tricks such as top spins, axels and axel jumps.
As the guardian of the Sol Emeralds, Blaze has a deep, personal connection to the emeralds, Like Knuckles, she can sense the Sol Emeralds energies, and can as well sense disruptions in the world she resides in. Before she understood the meaning of friendship from Sonic and his friends, Blaze was unable to harness the power of the Sol Emeralds, but after embracing the friendships she had forged, she gained the ability to tap into the Sol Emeralds' energies and use them to empower her.
Being the guardian of the Sol Emeralds, Blaze is a very skilled fighter. She is arguably one of the strongest female characters in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, being the only female so far who has been able to tie with Sonic in combat. Fiercely dedicated to her duty, Blaze is as intense in battle as she is graceful and an equally skilled combatant.
Most of Blaze's combat moves focuses on using graceful and delicate movements, similar to ballet moves, to strike precise and hard blows at her opponents. When attacking, she tends to use her feet when launching physical blows. Most of Blaze fighting moves comes from her pyrokinesis and relies heavily on their execution. By using her pyrokinesis in conjuring with her moves, Blaze can create unique and dynamic attacks that deals destructive damage on her targets, making her a fierce force to be reckoned with in combat.
Techniques and Moves
Blaze’s primary offensive maneuver involves turning herself into a tornado of fire by spinning around. Her techniques Burst Dash and Spinning Claw lets her charge fire and then launch her at full speed along the ground as a fiery tornado that destroy anything it collides with, similar to Sonic’s Spin Dash, but it does not keep its speed or goes faster. She can likewise perform an attack similar to the Homing Attack, called Fire Claw, where she quickly launches herself at the enemy and attacks them.
By using her pyrokinesis, Blaze can make her able to briefly hover in the air with her Burst Hover by igniting fire under her feet. By also enveloping herself in fire, she can increase her speed further by launching herself as a large fire projectile, called the Fire Boost, which destroys any opponent caught in her path, similar to the Boost.
In Sonic Rush, she appears in front of Sonic in a burst of flame to take the blue Sol Emerald. This could mean that she can teleport through her flames, or by a way that may or may not be related to Chaos Control (or a form similar to Chaos Control possessed by the Sol Emeralds).
Although it has never been officially confirmed, Blaze is able to perform Chaos Control with at least two Chaos Emeralds, as she used them to transport herself to another dimension along with Iblis at the end of Silver’s story in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
In some instances Blaze is shown being able to levitate in the air. Such cases are seen in her battle against Sonic in Sonic Rush and in her mission with Classic Sonic on Planet Wisp in Sonic Generations.
Blaze is also shown to have much knowledge on the various aspects of her world, such as its history, ancient languages and legends, and knows much about the various aspects of the Jeweled Scepter.
Initially, Blaze was unaware of the Sol Emeralds' power, but after realizing the importance of friendship and allowing herself to open up to people, Sonic taught her how to use their power and to transform into Burning Blaze. In this state, Blaze is granted the power of flight, increased strength and speed, invincibility and her pyrokinesis is amplified to the point where she can summon and throw large fireballs.
Blaze's acrophobia is one her more distinct weaknesses. Whenever she finds herself up high, she becomes terrified and loses her composure. In Sonic Rush she admits that she was kind of afraid of heights. In Sonic Rush Adventure she showed signs of being afraid of heights (as she seems afraid to go to Sky Babylon). Though she doesn't say it herself, Gardon says she is terrified of heights.
Blaze's temper also makes her prone to harsh and bad decisions. Her rough decisions were also noticed by Sonic in Sonic Rush Adventure where she completely lost her temper whilst threatening the 'Eggmen', Sonic warns her telling her not make harsh decisions and as a princess she should be keeping a "level-head" thus reminding her that she needs to look after her people, which Blaze slowly and regretfully realized.
Finally, Blaze also had a tendency of getting over-confident in threatening people to whom she thinks 'deserves' it, when they actually do not, and Sonic is shown to disagree with it. This was shown several times in Sonic Rush Adventure, a few times in Sonic Rush and finally once in Sonic Colors (DS version only).
Blaze has a tendency of judging others poorly and seeing less value in others. Examples are in Sonic Rush when she expected no-one to know that their worlds are in great danger but was proven wrong when Sonic and Tails were also aware. Her poor judgment of others led her to have a fight with Sonic and misjudge Cream until she realized that how helpful she was.
Blaze bluntness causes her to say harsh things. In Sonic Rush Adventure she tried to leave Marine behind in missions due to Marine's risky behavior and even went far enough to hurt her feelings by calling her a 'nuisance' to keep her from coming along on a dangerous mission to Pirate Island.
- For Blaze's interpersonal relationships in the Archie Comics series, see Blaze the Cat (Archie).
Although she is somewhat withdrawn, Blaze has managed to make some very worthwhile friends in her ventures around her.
As Blaze was traveling alone, after defeating Dr. Eggman for the first time, Cream had surprised her by hiding. Blaze was a little hostile, but Cream instead walked up towards her and invited her to her house, along with her mother, Vanilla the Rabbit. Blaze thought this to be calmingly eerie about the way they would treat a stranger. Cream then agreed to show Blaze around, starting their adventure, acting similar to Tails in the Sonic campaign. Throughout, Blaze was only focused on collecting all of the Sol Emeralds but as they travel, Blaze soon feels a bond, finally seeing Cream as a friend and not a guide. She was very worried about Cream's safety after she destroyed the Eggman robot that captured Cream and briefly thought Cream had been consumed in the explosion, causing her to frantically search the robot's wreckage before she found Cream had used her flying powers to escape the explosion. Even when Blaze left to her own dimension, they had hinted on missing each other's company. In Sonic Generations, they are seen interacting with each other again at Sonic's birthday party.
Blaze was told by many people to team up with Sonic for her quest. However, believing that she could handle everything by herself, Blaze became affronted by this. When Sonic appeared, he refused to let her battle Eggman alone (Eggman at the time possessed the final Sol Emerald), Blaze became angry and attacked Sonic instead.
After the battle (which was never properly concluded), Blaze came to realize that her selfishness lead to the battle. They became friends, as Blaze had learned that it was okay to accept help from others. Later, when Dr. Eggman and Eggman Nega team up, Sonic and Blaze team up in the process. When Eggman kidnaps Cream in an attempt to call Blaze to confront him alone, and even though it was not according to plan, Sonic trusts Blaze to bring Cream back safely. Although she loses faith in herself after rescuing Cream as the Eggmen had defeated her, Sonic cheers her up, and because Blaze regains faith and learns the power of true friendship, she can now transform into Burning Blaze with Sonic the Hedgehog into Super Sonic. After the fight, they had a moment to give their good-byes, Blaze had thanked Sonic and the two made a promise that they'll meet again, the two shook their hands and are separated by the pull of their dimensions. The ending shows Burning Blaze flying back to her world speaking to herself realizing that her flames weren't a curse but a gift. When she was thinking about it, she remembered Sonic telling her that she has learnt the power of the Sol Emeralds and that she had inherited the power of flames; he then says, "And Blaze now you have the power! You know what I mean, right?" Blaze smiles and says once again to her vision of Sonic that she'll see him again.
In their next meeting, Sonic ends up in her dimension, along with Tails. This time, they work together as allies to stop the doctors' plans. After defeating the doctors in Deep Core, Blaze then tells Sonic that maybe the Emeralds brought Sonic here as if it were destiny. Sonic was a little stunned then he smiled and said, "Who knows?" Blaze then smiles and pulls out her hand to shake hands with him and they did so, like they did before and the two left each other again, though Blaze remained positive that they would meet again. It also noted that when Sonic is waving bye at her, she seems to turn her head away, oddly fluttering her eyes.
Blaze seems to rely on Sonic the most to some point as he is her most trusted friend and ally. This is shown when Blaze tried to hide her fear of heights, she only said Sonic's name even though Marine and Tails were with her. Sonic also seems to stand in front of her for protection in a few scenes. Sonic appears to be concerned about her, like when he tried to cool her down when she was heated up and he said to her who is going to take her place as a princess and guardian if "something happens" to her when she was taking a risk to fight for her Jewelled Scepter.
In Sonic Generations, Blaze is one of the attendants at Sonic's birthday party and helps preparing it for his arrival. She however acts shy and is the only one clapping for Sonic after wishing him on his birthday as she also has a certain respect for Sonic, and said that she "bows to his skills" after getting all Red Star Rings and states she's impressed when he first completes Crisis City with an S-rank in Sonic Generations. She is also impressed by his performance in Sonic Colors (DS).
Blaze and Knuckles met when Cream saw Knuckles and greeted him, and though Cream wanted Blaze to be friends with Knuckles, it didn't work out right. Knuckles was friendly until he saw Blaze holding a few Sol Emeralds, he mistook them for Chaos Emeralds he therefore gave Blaze advice to give them to Sonic. Blaze gets angry at Knuckles and tells him that she has no Chaos Emeralds. Knuckles accusing her for lying, made an attempt to harm her, but Blaze dodges and clobbers Knuckles, knocking him out and leaving him lying in a crevice. Knuckles later wanted revenge against Blaze though but was distracted by Amy. Cream also convinces Blaze that Knuckles is actually a 'nice guy'. Near the end of the game, however, Knuckles no longer shows any dislike for her.
Blaze and Amy first met in Sonic Rush when Amy asks Cream where Sonic is. Cream then introduced Amy to Blaze and came in good terms until Amy assumes that Blaze might like Sonic the way Amy does. Blaze however denies it, saying that she "couldn't care less about anyone named 'Sonic'". Amy helps Cream and Blaze later on by getting away from Knuckles who planned to attack Blaze.
In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games Blaze and Amy seems to be close friends in the trailer when the two were seen smiling and holding hands.
However in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games Blaze stops Amy from sending a personal letter to Sonic by challenging her to a sport. Blaze also gives an annoyed expression by putting her hand on her face says, "Oh brother!" when Amy is flirting with Sonic by calling him "darling".
In the gameplay trailer for Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, she and Amy can be seen having a conversation.
Silver is Blaze's friend from the distant future whom she is described to have a brother-sister relationship with in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) exclusively.. The two have searched for and battled the Iblis together for what seems to be many times. As they travel through the present, they both make it a priority to find the Iblis Trigger. During the course of events Blaze shows to be more mature and focused than Silver, and is prone to feel insecure about him at times, As she supported Silver, even when she wasn't there, she eventually sealed Iblis inside herself rather than Silver. Blaze transported herself to another dimension, however, Silver is still unsure if he wants Blaze to vanish from his life, but Blaze leaves even with Silver's disapproval and wishes Silver luck in his new life without Iblis and herself, After the defeat of Solaris, the timeline has been erased and therefore Silver never met her. Sonic Colors (DS version only) shows Silver and Blaze meeting each other after the timeline changed. Blaze seems to recognize Crisis City and can be seen talking to Silver in Sonic Generations (PC and console versions only). The two of them are also together in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, in which they challenge the player to Dream and normal Ice Hockey in the Adventure Tours.
Blaze first met Tails with Sonic when they were searching for her. They have interacted indirectly, but after her fight against Sonic was finished, Tails tried to convince Blaze to stop fighting and to believe in Sonic so she can rest. She was going to take that into consideration and thanked him for it, but she insisted in fighting Dr. Eggman herself. In Sonic Rush Adventure, Blaze finds Tails to be a valuable ally, when it comes to machines and sea crafts.
The two were allies in Sonic Rush Adventure, though Blaze initially showed her dislike of Marine by leaving her behind in missions. However, Blaze has no choice but to let Marine come if she promises to stay with the group. Before Sonic, Tails, and Blaze depart to Pirates Island to unlock the door and finish off the pirates, they decided to leave Marine behind this time, she however doesn't accept it. Blaze confesses to Marine that she is a nuisance which hurts her feelings. Sonic and Tails disagree with what Blaze said and told her she was too harsh on Marine. After Sonic and Blaze save Marine from the Ghost Titan and defeat it, Blaze is disappointed at Marine for sneaking on the Deep Typhoon to come to Pirates' Island which would've put her in grave danger. Marine however surprises Blaze by finding her stolen Jeweled Scepter. Blaze thanks Marine for the great contribution thus realizing how wrong she thought of Marine and even asks Marine to come along with them for the first time. At the end of Sonic Rush Adventure Blaze comforts Marine who is sad about Sonic and Tails' departure and then look at the sky hoping to see them again. Blaze's relationship with Marine is very similar to Sonic's relationship with Tails.
Blaze's most nefarious adversary is undoubtedly Eggman Nega. Blaze hated Eggman Nega for ruining her life by threatening her kingdom and people, taking her Jeweled Scepter and Sol Emeralds, and her friends. Their relationship could be said to be similar to Sonic and Eggman, though the rivalry between them is more bitter in nature. Blaze is quick to anger whenever Eggman Nega says and does whatever that is evil to Blaze such as what Nega said in Sonic Rush Adventure "It will only take the fraction of this power to wipe your kingdom off the charts!" Since Eggman Nega has appeared in the Sonic Rivals series and Blaze hasn't, it is unknown if she knows any of Eggman Nega's doings during these games and is unaware of the fact that he is actually Eggman's descendant and not a doppelganger from her dimension.
Blaze appears to be easily annoyed and angered by Captain Whisker due to the fact that he took her Jeweled Scepter. She finds him to be a waste of time. She doesn't treat him as seriously as she does with other villains.
Like with Eggman Nega, Blaze has a grudge against Dr. Eggman (but since Eggman isn't totally insane and evil, it's not a major one). She hates the idea of Eggman building "Eggmanland" in either her or Sonic's dimension.
In Sonic Rush it was because of Eggman that Blaze was lost in Sonic's dimension. Dr. Eggman steals Blaze's Sol Emeralds in her world, which causes her to chase after him. While in pursuit, she sees a bright light and then passes out. When she wakes up, she questions whether or not she's in a different dimension; she finds out that she is in another one entirely and Eggman still has all of the emeralds. Throughout the game, she is tracking down Eggman to collect all of the Sol Emeralds back.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Best friend, partner in combat)
- Cream the Rabbit (Best friend)
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Marine the Raccoon
Appearances In Other Media
In Blaze's first appearance, Sonic finds her in captivity after she was captured by a group of SWATbots outside of Knothole. At first hostile to the "Blue One", Blaze eventually realized Sonic meant her no harm after their brief battle ended and he offered his friendship. Blaze vanished soon after, promising to haunt Sonic's dreams as he'd haunted hers. She later assisted Sonic, Tails and Marine in battling Captain Whisker, Johnny and Dr. Eggman Nega to retrieve a Chaos Emerald. In her next encounter with someone from Mobius Prime, she worked with Shadow and Marine to defeat Metal Sonic.
Eventually, arriving in Mobius, she sought out a Sol Emerald from getting into the possession of anyone else, with assistance from Cream the Rabbit, Cheese, and Amy Rose. It turned out that three other groups had detected the emerald as well, which included Team Dark, Team Rogues, and Team Hooligan. With the help from Team Dark in a former four-way battle, Blaze recovered her Sol Emerald and peace was restored to her dimension.
Blaze's theme is Vela Nova, which was first played in the Sonic vs. Blaze fight in Sonic Rush (in the zone Dead Line). It is also played when Sonic has the Medal of Percival equipped in Sonic and the Black Knight, albeit with a Spanish guitar added to the music.
Her other theme is Raisin' Me Up, which she shares with Sonic after they clear the Extra Boss in Sonic Rush. This song sums up their relationship and mutual understanding of each other as Sonic helped Blaze in her time of need.
Overall, Blaze has been well received. IGN remarked upon seeing her at TGS 2005 that she "easily earned her place in the team" amidst unremarkable secondary characters. Her gameplay has been praised as "fast-moving and fun" as opposed to slower characters introduced earlier in the series, but criticized for its resemblance to that of Sonic. Blaze has been called "a nice addition to Sonic's cast" and "one of the more complex, multifaceted characters in the Sonic canon". She has been noted by GameSpot for her "fiery disposition". IGN's Nintendo Team stated in its July 2009 list of the top 25 DS games that there is "nothing notable about a Sonic game bringing a new character into the fold, except that Blaze doesn't suck", ranking Sonic Rush 17th. She has become a favorite among fans of the series.
Blaze is implied to have two different backstories for her origin. In her debut game Sonic Rush, Blaze is depicted as being a princess and the protector of the Sol Emeralds in a parallel dimension to that of Sonic's world, but because of her role and being born with the curse of pyrokinesis, she has grown up never having friends. The same backstory is applied in its sequel Sonic Rush Adventure which takes place in her universe entirely (Marine the Raccoon also hails from Blaze's world). However, in her second appearance in the series, Sonic the Hedgehog, Blaze appears in a possible future of Sonic's world where she battles against the fearsome monster, Iblis, alongside Silver the Hedgehog.
At the end of Silver's storyline, Blaze attempts to seal Iblis inside her body with two of the Chaos Emeralds as she transports herself to another dimension, which led to the assumption that it took place prior to Sonic Rush. The end of the game suggests that Solaris (and hence Iblis) never existed, since the events of the game were rewritten out of time itself. While the game's official website indicates that this Blaze is indeed the same princess that guards the Sol Emeralds in another dimension, there is no attempt in-game to show why and how she is in Silver's time - the game instead seems to write Blaze as a good friend of Silver's, and whether or not she even truly recognizes Sonic from the previous title is seemingly rendered moot when Sonic himself does not pay any attention to her at all.
Later sources have lightly touched up on this subject. In Sonic Generations, Blaze will say "I thought I would never be in Crisis City again" after clearing the mission "Blaze: Piercing the Flames". As the game's own character profiles state that this Blaze is the same one from the Sonic Rush series, this clarifies that the Blaze presented in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) has existed and is reconfirmed as the same Blaze presented in the Sonic Rush games. Takashi Iizuka has also stated that Blaze is in fact a native of the Sol Dimension and not the future. Current Archie comic writer Ian Flynn's explanation is that Blaze and Silver never met, completely ignoring the events of the game.
- "You can't escape me!" - Blaze when beginning a level in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure.
- "How's that?"- Blaze after completing a level in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure.
- "It seems you like to play with fire. Let me light up your fingers then." - When Blaze has her first encounter with Dr. Eggman in Sonic Rush.
- "Give me back... the Sol Emeralds!" - Blaze in a cutscene after defeating Eggman in Sonic Rush.
- "Never get on my bad side!" - Blaze after winning a boss battle in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure.
- "Incredible! How could she just let me in? - Blaze surprised by Cream letting her inside her house after they just met.
- "Having a bunny guide is okay, I suppose." - Blaze, when Vanilla and Blaze accept Cream to guide Blaze.
- "My enemies always fall before me!" - Blaze after beating the second to last boss in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure.
- "What do you know? I am the Guardian of the Sol Emeralds. It is a duty that forces me to live with my curse... my flames... Because of my powers I have always been alone! Which is why I must do this alone! I have to do this myself!" - When she's fighting Sonic in Sonic Rush.
- "M-my name is Blaze the Cat... it's nice to meet you!" - After Blaze introduces herself to Sonic.
- "Don't mention it! W-we're... (...) ... Yes. We're friends!" - Blaze after saving Cream who proclaims their friendship in Sonic Rush.
- "The Iblis Trigger...A blue hedgehog... Can it be true?... I need to find Silver fast!" - Blaze when starting the mission in Wave Ocean Act 1 in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- "We agreed to save the world - at any price!" - Blaze talking to Silver before sacrificing herself in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- "You're still so naive, but I... I've always liked that about you." - Blaze talking to Silver before sacrificing herself in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- "Uh Sonic...maybe we should back away from the edge here so, huh?... We can...uh! y'know..." - Blaze talking to Sonic after trying to hide her fear of heights in Sky Babylon.
- "Marine, listen! Since you don't seem to understand where I'm getting at I'll just tell you....you're a nuisance!" - Blaze telling Marine of her obnoxiousness when she refuses to go back to Windmill Village.
- "Haven't I told you not to call me that?" - Blaze talking to Gardon about calling her "Your Highness".
- "I... MUST... STOP HIM!" - Blaze letting her temper get the best of her at the Deep Core.
- "Yes... That is my duty as princess. My duty... and honor!" - Blaze, after Sonic tells her to keep a level head for the sake of her people.
- "Sonic... what kind of a person is he?" - Blaze asking Cream after she had a brief meeting with Sonic.
- "Sonic... Do you think that maybe you were brought here for a reason?" - Blaze thinking that her and Sonic's meeting in Sonic Rush Adventure was not an accident.
- "Fear the power of the flames!" - Blaze before a race starts in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.
- "The power of the flame..." - After getting a power-up in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.
- "You'll never be a match for me!" - After getting in the top 3 in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.
- "I wish I hadn't need your help Sonic, but thank you. By the way, you seem to look less... spiky!" - Blaze after Classic Sonic rescues her at Crisis City in Sonic Generations.
- "Sonic, I hope we can keep this slip-up of mine just been the two of us. All right?" - Blaze to Classic Sonic after he rescues her.
- "As much as I dislike relying on others, I'm grateful for your aid. The creature was beyond my skills." - Blaze after Modern Sonic rescues her at Crisis City in Sonic Generations.
- "Don't give in Sonic!"- Blaze cheering on the Sonics to fight in Sonic Generations.
- "I'll put out that wall of fire!" - Blaze before the Crisis City mission with Modern Sonic begins.
- "A Red Star Ring? We have something like that back in my world, as well. - Blaze to Classic Sonic after he collects a Red Star ring.
- "You got an S Rank? I can't help but think of our old adventures together. - Blaze if Sonic talks to her after getting an S Rank in Crisis City.
- "Your spines getting shorter is one thing, but turning pink? What did you eat, Sonic?" Blaze to Classic Sonic after the mission Chase after Blaze.
- Despite having the title of princess, Blaze is sometimes referred to as a queen; She is called "Queen Blaze the Cat" on the official Sega of America Sonic mini site, Sonic Central, as well as the former Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) game website. However, in Japanese, her title is 皇女 (Kōjo?), which translates as "imperial princess," (she is also called princess in Sonic Rush Adventure).
- Like Sonic's specialty in breakdancing, Blaze seems to be able to dance Ballet as she is seen spinning on the tip of her toes before striking a victory pose. So far these are the only two characters that are shown to dance.
- In the English version of Sonic Rush, Blaze is voiced by Bella Hudson. Bella Hudson was mistakenly referred to as Berra Hudson when credited as Blaze in Sonic Rush, due to 'L' sounds in Japanese being replaced with 'R' when writing names.
- According to Sonic Channel, when asked about her weight, Blaze would respond "Don't speak of such a thing."  unlike the other female characters which simply says 'Secret'.
- Burning Blaze is sometimes mistakenly referred to as "Super Blaze", which is more in line with other super transformations, such as Super Sonic and Super Shadow.
- Blaze is the only female character in all portrayals of Sonic the Hedgehog to have a transformation similar to a Super State so far.
- Blaze is the first character with a "super" form that doesn't require Chaos Energy, using Sol energy instead.
- In the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Sonic Unleashed, if one were to look at the loading screen for Empire City's Skyscraper Scamper stage, one could see "Blaze Rd."
- Oddly, despite wearing high-heeled shoes, Blaze is the fastest female character in the Sonic series. She also has the advantage in reaching higher ground, thus helping her to move ahead of others.
- In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Blaze is an all-around character, and Daisy is a speed character. Since Blaze is very fast, it could have more suitably been the other way around. It is possible that Sega or Nintendo wanted the Mario & Sonic characters to be equal in their sections (each category has two Mario characters and two Sonic characters).
- If Blaze is tapped in the bottom screen with the stylus during gameplay in Sonic Rush, she jumps like a frightened cat, then she turns at the player angrily and stomps on the ground before turning her back and tapping her foot. When tapped on the touch screen in Sonic Rush Adventure, Blaze hovers in the air.
- In Sonic Rush Adventure, Blaze might know more than one language other than English, as she was able to read a book filled with ancient text found in Sky Babylon.
- Like Hyper Sonic, Blaze leaves after-images behind her in Sonic Rush series.
- Blaze is the second feline character introduced in the series in regards to the games. The first is Big the Cat.
- Ironically, despite being a cat and also being very acrobatic, she has a fear of heights. Cats generally prefer to stay on high-up places and cats almost always safely land on their feet.
- Even though characters such as Metal Sonic and Shadow the Hedgehog have the ability to boost, Blaze is the only character aside from Sonic who has been able to boost at the control of the player.
- Prior to the release of the 2006 video game Sonic the Hedgehog, an internal document used by Sega was leaked which contained the entire game script as well as extended profiles for the major character. In the Character Introductions section, it is stated for Blaze that "she is bothered by underendowed chest (comments on which will rouse her anger)". It is unknown if this is true to her actual depiction or if this was a joke by one of the writers.
- Blaze is one of the few characters known to have a family.
- ↑ Blaze's starting Gear in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is a board type that is affiliated with speed types.
- ↑ File:Blazethecat58slugdrones.png
- ↑ http://www.sonicwrecks.com/depository/protoblazesoniccounterpart/
- ↑ http://www.sonicwrecks.com/depository/christmasdayblaze/
- ↑ http://www.sonicwrecks.com/depository/proto-blaze-returns-a-closer-look-at-the-concept-kitty/
- ↑ http://info.sonicretro.org/images/e/e6/Rush_ds_eu_manual_05.jpg
- ↑ Sonic Team, Dimps (September 14, 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area: Southern Island. "Gardon: Your Highness! I must Speak with you! / Blaze: Haven't I told you not to call me that?"
- ↑ Sonic Team, Dimps (November 15, 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area: Dead Line. "Blaze: ... ... ... You stole the Sol Emeralds, and jeopardized my world... Just so you could get "ultimate power"?! I'll destroy you!"
- ↑ Sonic Team, Dimps (November 15, 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area: Dead Line. "Blaze: We're going to fly again? Uh, wait a sec. I'm kinda scared of heights... Aaah!"
- ↑ Sonic '06 official Sega of Japan site
"Having duty of protecting and manipulating the Sol Emeralds (which form a pair with the Chaos Emeralds). Usually Blaze is calm and collected, but in fact she holds burning emotions strongly hidden. Although Blaze is shy around strangers and puts a lot of pressure on herself, she works well with Silver as a partner who for her is like a younger brother."
- ↑ 1UP Staff (November 16, 2005). Sonic Rush Review from 1UP.com. 1UP.com. Retrieved on April 11, 2010.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Sewart, Greg (November 15, 2005). Sonic Rush. GameSpy. Retrieved on April 11, 2010.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Fletcher, JC (February 15, 2009). New Trailer for Sonic and the Black Knight (and Blaze the Cat). Joystiq. Retrieved on April 13, 2010.
- ↑ Davis, Ryan (September 19, 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure Review for DS. GameSpot. Retrieved on April 14, 2010.
- ↑ IGN Nintendo Team (July 1, 2009). The Top 25 Nintendo DS Games. IGN. Retrieved on April 11, 2010.
- ↑ 
- ↑ (1)
- ↑ Sonic Central
- ↑ Sonic Rush Adventure (2007)
Gardon: Your Highness! I must speak with you!
Blaze the Cat: Haven't I told you not to call me that?
Gardon: My... my apologies, Princess Blaze!
- ↑ http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/chara/blaze/index.html
- Blaze the Cat Concept: "Mobius" (Real Character Profile)
|Heroes||Sonic | Tails | Amy | Knuckles | Vector | Espio | Charmy | Big | Tikal | Cream | Emerl | Blaze | Omochao | Silver|
|Antiheroes||Chaos | Gamma | Shadow | Rouge | Omega | Jet | Wave | Storm|
|Villains||Eggman | Metal Sonic | Eggrobo | Fang | Eggman Nega | ZERO|
|Other||Mecha Sonic | Gerald | Froggy | Cheese | Vanilla|