|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic the Comic continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Blockhead Bill is a character that appears in the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions. He is the elderly father of Mighty the Armadillo. He is a somewhat senile former crime fighter and becomes easily confused, for example mistaking Sonic the Hedgehog (who is blue and a hedgehog) for his old enemy the Crimson Cobra, or believing a mirror in his bedroom was his brother (despite not having a brother).
Bill's partner is the slightly more reliable Society Max, an upper-class lizard who can transform into a giant dinosaur when he eats a Mandrake Root. Bill rides the dinosaur form of Society Max into battle as his main form of attack. Bill also wields a weapon consisting of many gold metal balls on a hoop of rope, which he spins and hits enemies with. He does not seem to have Mighty's trade-mark super-strength.
One day, while searching for Mandrake Roots in the Mandrake Swamp, the pair were captured by Root's mud minions. Root used his Mind Roots to make the two his slaves, and ordered them to pour a vial of a special chemical into New Tek City's water supply. However, while attempting to complete this mission, Bill mistook Sonic the Hedgehog (who had just arrived in the Special Zone to meet the Chaotix Crew) for the Crimson Cobra. Bill gave Society Max a Mandrake Root, turning him into a giant, red T-Rex, and attacked Sonic. The battle caused significant destruction (including the home of Maude and Harold Mudd), before Sonic and Chaotix managed to subdue Bill and Max. Even after Max turned back to normal, Bill still wanted to attack "the Crimson Cobra" until his son, Mighty the Armadillo, convinced him that Sonic wasn't the Crimson Cobra at all
A short while later, at Chaotix Tower, Root used his powers to call out to Blockhead Bill, who became agitated and violent. Bill gave Max another Mandrake Root, again turning him into a dinosaur, and Mighty accidentally punched Bill and Max through the wall. Before the fight could be resolved, however, an image of Root appeared in the sky and he magically whisked Bill and Max back to the Mandrake Swamp. Once they were in Root's castle in the swamp, Root berated Bill for failing, calling him an idiot.
Sonic and Chaotix followed them to the Swamp, but were quickly captured by mud minions. They were brought before Root, and Bill revealed how he and Max had been captured and enslaved. Root similarly enslaved Chaotix with Mind Roots, but Sonic escaped. Bill and Max, again turned into a dinosaur, helped Chaotix hunt down Sonic, but they were defeated when Sonic found Max's weak spot: he is incredibly ticklish. As Sonic ran off to face Root, Bill demanded to know why Max never told him he was ticklish.
Once Sonic had finally defeated Root, the Mind Roots dropped off of everyone, and Bill and Max had their free will restored.
The term "Blockhead" is used to describe someone who is ignorant.
- Unlike Archie Comics, Blockhead Bill is one of only two Sonic the Comic characters created as a family member for a Sega-created character. The other is Charmy's mother, the Queen Bee, who was not given a first name. (Tails' family is mentioned but never named or shown.)
- Co-creator Nigel Kitching has said that when creating Blockhead Bill, he hadn't intended to do "a family thing". Rather, the idea of making him Mighty's dad was so that one of the main characters would be required to take responsibility for him.
- It has been said online by co-creator Nigel Kitching that Bill and Society Max were "probably having a homosexual relationship".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic the Comic #134, "Back in the Special Zone"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Sonic the Comic #137, "Roots, Part 3"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Sonic the Comic #136, "Roots, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #135, "Roots, Part 1"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Comic #138, "Roots, Part 4"
- ↑ Message #12181 "Re: Questions?" post by Nigel Kitching at sonicthecomic Yahoo! Group
- ↑ Message #6971 "Re: STC Quiz" post by Nigel Kitching at sonicthecomic Yahoo! Group