|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic the Comic continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Bob Beaky is a character that appears in the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions. He is a short penguin, a secret identity assumed by Sonic the Hedgehog in order to travel around the Trooper-patrolled Zones of Mobius and infiltrate Robotnik's operations. Beaky is also a showman and the ringmaster of Bob Beaky's Travelling Circus, a front for the Freedom Fighters.
In order to effect the disguise as Bob Beaky, Sonic dresses in clothes that completely conceal his body. This most often takes the form of a thick green duffel coat and ushanka, heavy grey boots and mittens, and a checked yellow scarf. While acting as the ringmaster of Bob Beaky's Travelling Circus, he instead wears a tuxedo, waistcoat, top hat decorated with stars, and a scarf. Despite the variation, the Bob Beaky disguise has certain consistent features, in particular a false beak and a pair of wraparound sunglasses.
Bob Beaky's personality (in the presence of Troopers at least) is also markedly different from Sonic's. Beaky is a cheerful and foolish individual who "[delights] in serving our glorious ruler, Dr Robotnik." However, Sonic is frequently unable or unwilling to wear the disguise for long and readily drops it in order to destroy Badniks, particularly when challenged or when he witnesses injustice. He also chooses not to wear the disguise when he believes that it is unnecessary.
Shortly after discovering that Robotnik had conquered Mobius, Sonic adopted the Bob Beaky disguise in order to gain access to the Chemical Plant Zone and rescue the "work detail" - members of the Emerald Hill Folk who were being treated like slaves. He later donned the disguise to visit the Hero of the Year Awards, despite realising that it was a trap.
Following the discovery and destruction of Sonic's Secret Underground Base by Robotnik, the Freedom Fighters began to travel around Mobius disguised as a travelling circus, with Sonic (as Bob Beaky) acting as the owner and ringmaster. They used these disguise to pass Robotnik's roadblocks undetected. In order to keep up appearances, they also put on circus performances for the Emerald Hill Folk.
Following Robotnik's downfall, Sonic had no further need of the Bob Beaky disguise.
- Bob makes a brief non-canonical cameo appearance in issue #134 of the Archie Sonic comics done as one of several admitted in-joke tributes by the artist Jon Gray.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic the Comic #10, "Megatox"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Comic #43, "Badniks Bridge, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #46, "The Big Con"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Comic #55, "The Great Escape! Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #63, "Project Brutus, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #9, "Back to Reality"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #14, "Hero of the Year"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #38, "Robotnik's Revenge, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #100, "The Final Victory"
- Bob Beaky at the Sonic the Comic Wiki