Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Boss Attack Zone is a Zone exclusive to the Time Attack mode in the 2013 re-release of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. In this Zone, the player must fight all of the eleven main bosses encountered in the game in one go (except the Brass Eggman).
Boss Attack Zone is initially not accessible until the player completes the game. The Zone features small segments of each of the Zones featuring the boss fights as a straight forward run-up to the encounter of the boss. After the boss of the segment is defeated, the player can progress to the next segment and subsequently the next boss. Only a few of the segments will contain Rings and/or Monitor items that will help the player survive.
After defeating the Death Egg Robot, the Death Egg "explodes" but instead of Sonic jumping off into outer space, he simply travels to another section of the Death Egg with a Signpost to mark the end of the Zone.
- Originally, Christian Whitehead (the lead programmer of the 2013 re-release of Sonic the Hedgehog 2) intended to implement the Boss Attack Zone using different color palettes (which would be called Egg Gauntlet Zone) for the arenas but Sonic Team did not agree to the color palette change.
- It is possible to fight the Death Egg Zone bosses with Rings in this Zone.
- The BGM used in this Zone is Death Egg Zone's BGM but after encountering Drill Eggman, the "Boss battle" BGM will play for almost the entirety of the Zone until encountering the Death Egg Robot where its BGM will take over the "Boss battle" BGM for the remainder of the Zone.
- A glitch can occur in the aforementioned segment that if the player performs a Spin Dash before the controls are locked, the Signpost seemingly spins by the time the player arrives and the timer will still keep counting throughout the results screen.
- If the player restarts the Zone from the Chemical Plant Zone segment and onward, the BGM is muted for the entirety of the Zone until the player reaches the Death Egg Robot or restarts upon reaching the Death Egg Zone segment.
- ↑ Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth. Sonic Retro. “Regarding Egg Gauntlet: Basically during development, we [Christian Whitehead and Simon Thornley] tried something different for the Boss Attack mode. Instead of the original bosses back to back, they were all in the one zone with connecting platforming sections - the idea being that it was a testing facility, with mechanical palm trees, flashing lights etc etc. It was fairly close to completion (it just needed a few graphical effects, replacing placeholder graphics, and general polish), however Sonic Team didn't agree with changing the location, colours or graphic style for the Bosses. So in the end we respected the wishes of the team and put together the Boss Attack you see today.”