Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2
Cannon's Core is the final stage of Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. It is accessed by completing both the dark and hero stories. It is the longest stage in the game and includes all playable characters (save for Shadow).
In this stage, all of the characters (with the exception of Shadow) work together to get the Master Emerald to the core of the Eclipse Cannon on Space Colony ARK. First, Tails and Eggman must destroy the security doors to let the others reach the chamber above the Eclipse Cannon. Next, Rouge must drain the liquid from the Core so that Knuckles can open the final security door. As Knuckles, the player must swim to the switch and push it to let Sonic proceed to the core. Afterwards, Sonic and Knuckles reach the Core together, only to find the Ultimate Lifeform's prototype, the Biolizard. Shadow, influenced by Amy, volunteers to destroy it while Sonic and Knuckles reach the altar. This level features Time Stop Switches that freeze time, which are useful for they can also freeze the clock for an easy A rank, and can be used infinitely. The switches also freeze waterfalls, acid pits, enemies, moving blocks fast-flowing water and also deactivates lasers, so they can be walked on or through; however, the switches only last about ten seconds, and a beep will start to sound. When the beeping repeats much more quickly, the effects are about to end, so the player must be careful.
With only a short amount of time left before the Eclipse Cannon fires on the planet, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Rouge and Dr. Eggman must work together in order to bring the Master Emerald safely to the massive weapon's core and shut it down.
Collect 100 Rings
By picking up every ring along the main path, it is possible to have one hundred Rings by the end of Eggman's section. The player should keep firing with both him and Tails to avoid getting hit and losing rings.
Find the lost Chao
Finding the Lost Chao in this stage is a fairly complicated process. The player must first complete Tails' section as normal and proceed with Eggman until they come to the gap immediately after the first checkpoint. Rather than jumping onto the floating platform and falling down the shaft as usual, the player should hop up onto the guardrail of the ledge they are on, then hover across to the door on the other side. They then need to blow up the Iron containers behind it, and they will see an Ancient Ruin straight ahead. They should play the Mystic Melody near the shrine, then leave this room and finish the rest of Eggman's section as usual.
In Rouge's section, there is a tunnel on the left of where Rouge's fall, which has been opened by Eggman's Mystic Melody. The player must run to the end of the tunnel to find another Ancient Ruin, play the Mystic Melody again, then complete this section as normal. At the beginning of Knuckles' section, a few new platforms will have appeared if the player activated the Ancient Ruin in Rouge's section. The player must follow the platforms up to a pulley, and they will be taken to Another Shrine. They must play the Mystic Melody and finish the section.
Finally, the player must proceed through Sonic's section as usual until the waterway. When the player reaches the peak, they will see that a row of rings has appeared. They must use the Light Speed Dash to transport Sonic to a platform with two enemies and a door. When the player destroys the enemies, the door opens and the lost Chao is waiting on the other side.
Reach the goal within 7:00
If the player does not waste any time messing around with enemies or unnecessary rings, completion of this stage is possible in less than six minutes. To score an A Rank, they should attack lots of enemies while they are moving with Tails and Dr. Eggman.
Clear Hard mode
Aside from the typical increase in enemies, the player will notice the almost every single trap has been slightly modified. Often, time switches have moved or even disappeared. As long as the player is aware of these changes, they should be able to get through the obstacles ahead.
Chao Container locations
- After going through the door that follows the first point marker in Eggman's section, the player encounters a large gap with a platform in the middle and a door on the other side. The first box is behind the door. In order to reach it, they must jump atop the guardrail in front of the player and hover over.
- The second box is in the far left-behind corner of the room where Rouge activated the switch that is used to expose Emergency Drainage Switch.
- Upon landing from the handrail in Sonic's section, the player should turn and walk toward the screen. They can find the third Chao box on a small ledge to their left.
Big the Cat sightings
|1||In Tails' section after the platform ride down, Big is hanging onto the wall to the right of (and below) the door up ahead.|
|2||In Eggman's section, the player should go down the long drop with lasers. At the bottom, there will be some Time Stop Switches on the wall, and Big is sitting above the switch on the left fishing.|
|3||In Rouge's section, Big can be found jumping close to where Knuckles starts by climbing up to the top of the accessible area of the level and looking further up.|
|4||In Knuckles' section, the player should descend through the laser-filled room, look ahead at the next tunnel, then turn right. Big can be seen behind the right wall, close to floor-level.|
|5||In Sonic's section, the player should travel to the start of the long slide. From there, they must go backwards and hit the last Time Stop Switch on the left, then look forward and left. Big will be sitting on a pillar out in the open.|
- Cannon's Core is the first stage in any Sonic game to have segments where the character played as changes as part of the stage.
- Throughout the level, Eggman relays commands to the playable characters on how to access the core. The exception is in Eggman's segment of the level (for obvious reasons), where Tails instead relays commands to Eggman.
- If the player does certain actions in the stage during each section, it is possible to permanently freeze the clock for the entire duration of the stage (without having to use the freeze switches) in Rouge, Knuckles, and Sonic's sections, which is most likely a glitch.
- In the Dreamcast version of the game, Dr. Eggman will fall through the floor at the start of his section of Cannon's Core if the game is running on a copied disk.
- Near the End of Sonic's section, the music will change to the Event Music that plays in the following cutscene.
- Largely because all of the main characters barring Shadow were playable in different segments of the level, this is the only level where the recap is not given by any of the playable characters (instead, Amy Rose gives the recap).
Differences between Dreamcast and GameCube version
- In the GameCube version, the laser grid in the room that Knuckles must dive down into has changed its pattern. Also, a Shield is added in the center of the grid to make the descent slightly safer.
- In Sonic's section, an Artificial Chaos that breaks apart is added right above the second time switch that sits behind the small laser grid in the room that is behind the locked door.
|Scramble For The Core ...for Cannon's Core ver.1||Jun Senoue||2:03|
|Cooperation ...for Cannon's Core ver.2||Jun Senoue||1:59|
|Deep Inside Of ...for Cannon's Core ver.3||Jun Senoue||3:18|