A stage with canyon theme takes place in rocky and rugid areas, with mountains being plentiful, both in the background and during gameplay.
Often looking similar to Stages with desert or ancient ruins themes, canyon themed Stages have a more rocky terrain with little sand or ruins, although elements from the former two stage themes are found canyon themed Stages. In numerous games, canyon themed Stages can take place in high distances with bottomless pits being the most common hazard through the Stage.
Stages with a canyon theme
- Landslide Limbo, SegaSonic the Hedgehog (1993) - This zone also incorporates desert and industrial elements.
- Canyon Cruise, Sonic the Fighters (1996) - This arena also incorporates elements of the green hill theme.
- Windy Valley, Sonic Adventure (1998) - This stage also incorporates elements of the sky theme.
- Red Mountain - Sonic Adventure (1998) - This stage also incorporates elements of the underground and fire themes.
- Pumpkin Hill - Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)
- Sky Rail - Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)
- Rail Canyon - Sonic Heroes (2003)
- Bullet Station - Sonic Heroes (2003)
- Glyphic Canyon - Shadow the Hedgehog (2005)
- Frontier Canyon Zone - Sonic Rivals 2 (2007)
- Arid Sands - Sonic Unleashed (2008)
- Sandy Drifts - Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (2010)
- Rocky Ridge - Sonic Free Riders (2010)