Chao hats are items of headwear that can be worn by Chao in the Chao Garden. These hats only appear in Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Most Chao hats are available at the Black Market, though a few can be obtained through other methods.
Hats obtained from the Chao Garden
- Skull hat: A skull that can be dug up from the Dark Garden.
- Pumpkin hat: A carved pumpkin that can be dug up from the Neutral/Hero Garden.
- Chao Egg hat: One half of an eggshell, left behind by a newly-hatched Chao.
Hats available at the Black Market
- Apple hat: An apple with eye holes cut out.
- Watermelon hat: A watermelon with a happy face carved into it.
- Box hat: A cardboard box.
- Wool hat: A hat made of wool, available in three colors: black with gray stripes, blue with turquoise stripes and red with yellow stripes.
- Can hat: An empty fruit can.
- Pot hat: A reddish-brown flower pot.
- Bag hat: A brown grocery bag.
- Bucket hat: A gray, worn-out bucket.
- If a Chao trips, or if it is thrown, its hat may randomly fall off. On rare occasions, however, hitting the Chao may not cause the hat to come off.
- Due to graphical issues, an object that was intended to function as a Chao hat (the pacifier) was left out of the games.
- A Chao's appearance can also be modified by giving it a skeleton dog.