Chao Racing is an event that Chao can compete in by going through the door on the other side of the Station Square Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure and races in their group such as the challenge race, it has 12 races in its group. This does not include Party races. It is held in the Chao Stadium.
Chao Racing involves a group of Chao, usually eight, attempting to reach one end of the course from a designated starting point. More difficult courses are longer and the competing Chao have stronger stats to match.
- Swim: This allows Chao to swim faster and more effectively in water areas.
- Fly: Higher flight stats allow a Chao to fly farther and faster and avoid more obstacles.
- Run: Chao run along the ground faster at higher speeds.
- Power: This lets Chao climb cliff faces faster and shake trees quicker.
- Stamina: More stamina lets a Chao run longer. Also, a quick speed burst can be given by hitting A at the cost of some stamina.
There are two stats that cannot be seen on the Chao's list of stats. These are:
- Intelligence: Chao that have attended more kindergarten classes will solve puzzles faster and are more likely to get them right the first time. Also, any animal with a silver lining and backdrop when it is picked up (such as the skull-dog) will increase this stat, and may also have a special side effect on the Chao. For example, the skull-dog allows the Chao to wear on object on its head, such as a pot, tree stump, or wool hat.
- Charisma: Playing with the Chao will increase the charisma stat or lower it, depending on how the Chao is raised. Any animal with a golden lining and backdrop, like the Phoenix, will increase this stat, and again may have a special side effect on the Chao. For example, if a Chao is given many dragons, it may spew fire for fun while lazing about the Chao Garden.
- Trap door: These show up randomly when a Chao runs over the designated section, costing time as they pull themselves out.
- Jack-in-the-box: All Chao run into these in certain races and must open them to proceed. If the jack springs out, the Chao will faint and lose time. The appearance of the jack is a random occurrence.
- Trees: At tree patches, Chao must shake down a nut and eat it to continue. Eating speed is the same for all Chao.
- Matching puzzle: The Chao must present an item to the screen that matches the one shown.
Here is a list of the races of Sonic Adventure 2 and in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
- Crab Pool (Based on Swimming) - Shovel
- Stump Valley (Based on Flying) - Watering Can
- Mushroom Forest (Based on Running) - Rattle Toy
- Block Canyon (Based on Power) - Car Toy
Jewel Race Edit
- Aquamarine (Based on Swimming) - Sonic Doll
- Topaz (Based on Flying) - Broom
- Peridot (Based on Running) - Picture Book
- Garnet (Based on Power) - Pogo Stick
- Onyx (Based on Intelligence and Luck) - Crayons
- Diamond (Based on everything) - Bubble-Blowing Set
- Race 1: Challenge the strong Gold and Silver Rivals! (You Face Gold and Silver Chao)
- Race 2: He Returns (You face a Chacron - expertly trained Chao)
- Race 3: I'm Trying (You face several Omochao)
- Race 4: Small Animal Challenge (You face a Variety of different Animals) - Chao Garden Ball
- Race 5: Horrible Cockroach Chao group (You face Onyx Chaos with antennas)
- Race 6: Oh, My Egg (Face egg Chao)
- Race 7: Be Afraid! Skeleton Group (Chao with a skull hat)
- Race 8: Be Afraid! Pumpkin Group (Chao with a pumpkin hat) - Chao Jack-in-the-box
- Race 9: Be Afraid! Ghost Group (Chao with no legs along with fire above there head)
- Race 10: He Strikes Back (Face a faster Chacron Chao)
- Race 11: Kids troops Chao Ranger (Shiny Chao with animal parts)
- Race 12: Here Comes the Ultimate Rival (Light Chao) - Chao TV
Hero Race (Dark Chao cannot enter)Edit
- Race 1: New Battle Baby Devils. (Baby Dark Chao with animal parts)
- Race 2: New Battle Child Devils. (Adult Dark Chao)- Hero Garden Ball
- Race 3: New Battle Death Troops. (Adult Dark Chao with skulls as helmets)
- Race 4: New Battle Devil vs. Angel. (Devil Chaos Chao) - Hero Garden Rocking Horse
Dark Race (Hero Chao cannot enter)Edit
- Race 1: New Battle Baby Angels. (Baby Hero Chao)
- Race 2: New Battle Angels. (Adult Hero Chao) - Dark Garden Ball
- Race 3: New Battle Flying Angels. (Adult Hero Chaos with several flying animal parts)
- Race 4: New Battle Angel vs. Devil. (Angel Chaos Chao) - Chao Radio
- Despite the fact that Dark Chao and Hero Chao cannot enter Hero or Dark Races, netural Chao can still compete.
- On the final round of the Hero Race, it shows a Devil Chao grinning and with different eyes. This is impossible as Devil Chao don't have mouths and their eyes are always full open.