Shadow activating the Chaos Boost
A enhancement of Shadow's abilities
The Chaos Boost (カオスブースト Kaosu būsuto?) is an enhanced state used exclusively by Shadow the Hedgehog. When using this state, Shadow gains more destructive power and can use certain power up moves or Chaos Powers. It first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
When using the Chaos Boost, Shadow is enveloped by an red/yellow aura of Chaos Energy. When doing so, the power allows Shadow to perform Chaos Powers that he usually cannot perform, such as Chaos Snap, Chaos Lance and Chaos Blast. The Chaos Boost also increases Shadow's destructive power and sometimes makes him invincible to enemy attacks. In some games, the Chaos Boost can also be used to boost forward in a manner similar to the Sonic Boost.
This state is similar to when Shadow removes the rings on his wrists to boost his power.
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)Edit
The Chaos Boost first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) as three different versions of upgrades, called Memory Shards, that Shadow can obtain in the game. For the first upgrade, he unlocks the Chaos Boost and its basic power; then for each upgrade Shadow obtains, he can activate a higher level of the Chaos Boost, allowing him to perform a different Chaos Power for each level—from the lowest level being level 1 to level 3 being the highest.
In order for Shadow to perform the Chaos Boost in this game, his Action Gauge has to be completely filled up with Chaos Drives and/or Life Orbs and to activate it the player has to press the R1 button. Once the Chaos Boost is activated, Shadow develops a red aura around him similar to the color of his Chaos Blast and his Action Gauge will slowly deplete. Once it runs out completely, the Chaos Boost will end. To activate the higher levels of the Chaos Boost, the player must press the R1 button once for each level, but with each increase in level, the Action Gauge will deplete quicker.
The only time the Chaos Boost is required to continue is in the final battle with Mephiles. During the battle, it reveals Mephiles' location. When it runs out, Mephiles disappears again.
- Level 1: Shadow obtains the power Chaos Snap. Chaos Snap can be used to warp to a chain of up to six enemies and attack. The player obtains Chaos Snap when he has obtained the Memory Shard (blue).
- Level 2: Shadow obtains the power Chaos Lance. This move is an upgrade to Chaos Spear. It explodes upon contact. The player obtains Chaos Lance when he has obtained the Memory Shard (red).
- Level 3: Shadow obtains the move Chaos Blast. This move is an explosion attack and can be used to destroy multiple enemies. The player obtains Chaos Blast when he has obtained the Memory Shard (black).
Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Winter GamesEdit
In Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games, Shadow's special ability is called "Chaos Boost" and was used to give the player an instantaneous boost during certain events. Other than the name, it seems to have no connection to the ability above.
The Chaos Boost in this game is similar to the Chaos Boost in the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. It appeared in Sonic Generations during the Rival Battle against Shadow the Hedgehog. Although not explicitly called the Chaos Boost, this version shares many similarities with Sonic's Sonic Boost technique. It creates an orange aura around him and allows him to accelerate to higher speeds in seconds. If Sonic is caught in his path without using the Sonic Boost, Sonic will take damage. However, if he is performing the Sonic Boost, the collision will cause the two of them to be slightly repelled. In the 3DS version, the Chaos Boost is a form of Chaos Control that allows him to temporarily exceed the Sonic Boost and damage Sonic.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Shadow's profile from Sonic 06: "When Shadow is in possession of a Memory Shard and the Action Gauge is completely filled, Chaos Boost can be triggered by pressing the right trigger. During this time, Shadow gains more destructive power and is invincible to enemy attacks. Power-Up moves corresponding to the Memory Shards may be used during this time..." "Chaos Boost ends when the Action Gauge reaches zero."
- ↑ Shadow's profile on the official [Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games website]: "With the ability to harness the power of the Chaos Emerald, Shadow can perform Chaos Boost on the Wii and DS"