|This event exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- Not to be confused with Chaos Emerald Martial Arts Mash-Up.
The Chaos Emerald Championship is an event that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It was a fighting competition held at Casino Park during the Shattered World Crisis organized by Breezie.
After obtaining a Chaos Emerald, Breezie began advertising her tournament, which attracted the attention of Dr. Eggman, the Chaotix, and the Freedom Fighters, who sent representatives to participate. Both Eggman and Sally Acorn first attempted to buy the Emerald from Breezie; upon failing, the doctor ordered the Hooligans to sabotage the arena defenses in the event that they could not win the tournament, and ordered Metal Sonic to travel to the tournament site as well. Sonic agreed to participate with the stipulation that he only compete during the day, and Espio managed to alter the roster and replace one of the previous participants with Knuckles. The first round of the tournament progressed briskly, with Sonic, Amy, and Knuckles defeating their opponents by knock-out while Honey the Cat and Bean the Dynamite won by ring-out.
The next round of the tournament saw Nack and Bean fight with Nack coming out on top, while Knuckles won a decisive victory over Amy. Another bout took place between Honey and Sonic, with Sonic winning despite Honey's trickery. For some reason, this allowed Sonic to advance to the championship round, while Knuckles was forced to win a match against Nack before progressing to the final stage of the tournament.
Unfortunately, in the middle of the final round between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman ordered Nack, Bean, and Bark to disable Casino Park's defenses, leaving Metal Sonic to steal the Emerald from the vault. Metal Sonic evaded attacks from Sonic, Knuckles, Amy, Espio, and Honey, but was intercepted by Tails, who takes the Emerald back. With the defenses reactivated, Eggman ordered Metal Sonic to retreat.
It is unknown whether the tournament was cancelled due to Eggman's interference. However, Team Fighters earned another Emerald, while Breezie claims to have gained massive profits from the world watching the heroes save the day.
- Freedom Fighters
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Espio the Chameleon
- Honey the Cat
- Segata Sanshiro
- Pane the Boar
- Several unknown contestants-one replaced by Knuckles.
The tournament bouts took place in virtual arenas that recreated locations from around Sonic's World. A competitor could be eliminated by one of two ways-being knocked out by their opponent or being jettisoned from the ring by some fashion or other.
- The Championship is based on the plot of Sonic the Fighters, but involving only one Chaos Emerald as opposed to all of them.
- The Chaos Emerald Championship does not appear to have followed a typical bracket style of competition, as Knuckles participated in three fights to reach the final match while Sonic only fought two.
- The event is extremely similar to an event in Sonic X called the "Chaos Emerald Martial Arts Mash-Up".
- Also, in the two events, Knuckles step to the final, but with different opponents.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #267, "Ambushed! Part Two"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #66, "The Great Chaos Caper Part Four: Water Way To Go!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #268, "Champions Part One: The Gang's All Here"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #269, "Champions Part Two: Climbing the Brackets"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #270, "Champions Part Three: Raising the Stakes"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #271, "Champions Finale: The One Left Standing"