Shadow performing Chaos Rift
Shadow opens a rift in time and space, meant to banish a foe. If the target remains, he may become distracted.
Chaos Rift (カオスリフト Kaosurifuto?) is a POW move and a Chaos Power used by Shadow the Hedgehog in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. When performing this move, Shadow opens a rift in time and space, then launches it at a foe in an attempt to banish it. If the foe remains, the foe may become distracted.
When performing Chaos Rift, Shadow slowly walks up to the front of his target. Once facing his target, Shadow envelope himself in a purple, circular aura, by performing a outward movement with his body. Shortly after that, Shadow channels his aura into his hands and forms a rift in time and space, which takes the shape of an orb almost twice the size of himself and is colored black and purple with small white stars inside. Once formed, Shadow flungs the rift at his target in an attempt to banish the opponent to outside time and space.
In gameplay, when succesfully performing the Chaos Rift, this technique has a chance of instantly reducing the target's Hit Points to zero, effectively knocking the opponent out. If the Chaos Rift fails to knock out the opponent, it also has an additional chance of inflicting distracted on the opponent, resulting in the opponent's Attack being reduced. The higher level the Chaos Rift technique is, the higher the chance is that it can knock out an opponent or leave the opponent distracted.
When performing the Chaos Rift in gameplay, the player has to complete a series of real-time events, by performing certain actions on the touchscreen, in order to execute the Chaos Rift optimally:
- The player has to tap an inner circle that appears eight times, before the outer circle overlap the inner circle.
- The player has to stay inside the outer circle that appears when it overlaps the inner circle and follow it vertically across the screen, from left to right.
Missing or not touching these circles correctly will result in Shadow failing to perform the Chaos Rift.
- 8 PP
- No damage
- Chaos Rift I: KO (40% chance), Distracted I (50% chance)
- Chaos Rift II: KO (50% chance), Distracted I (80% chance)
- Chaos Rift III: KO (60% chance), Distracted I (100% chance)
- Similar looking rifts are seen when Sonic is chasing Shadow in Blue Ridge Zone and facing Pir'Oth Ix on Nocturne.
- ↑ Official game description.