Charmy is the scatterbrained member of the Chaotix
6 (16 in UK manual of Knuckles' Chaotix)
70 cm (2 ft 3 in)
10 kg (22 lb)
Orange-Amber (originally black until redesigned for Sonic Heroes)
|Alignment and character traits|
|Skills, abilities and powers|
|Moves and techniques|
Charmy Bee (チャーミー・ビー Chāmī Bī?) is a fictional anthropomorphic honeybee from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is an extremely hyperactive six-year old kid with a big heart and the youngest member of the Chaotix Detective Agency, which he helped found. Charmy first appeared in the Sonic the Hedgehog manga, but was later used for the games, in which he first debuted in Knuckles' Chaotix.
While Charmy is always hyperactive, bee-brained, loud, immature and often gets on his teammates' nerves, his tracking skills are nonetheless an invaluable assist to the Chaotix Detective Agency and a crucial part of their team. As such, both Vector and Espio treat Charmy as their equal.
Charmy makes his first game appearance in Knuckles' Chaotix. According to the Japanese manual, Charmy is out doing what bees do best when he arrives at an island and is captured by Doctor Robotnik, who is currently taking over the island. In the US version, he is a friend of Knuckles the Echidna, who is visiting "Carnival Island" when Robotnik makes a surprise attack on the island.
In both cases, he is captured and placed in Robotnik's Combi Confiner, and becomes one of the several characters the player can choose to play as, or play with (as a partner character). Charmy can fly, and as such can do a dash in any direction instead of jumping. He can also start hover, which allows him and his partner to fall at a much slower and more controlled rate.
In Sonic Heroes, Charmy is part of the Chaotix detective agency along with Espio the Chameleon and Vector the Crocodile. One day he brings a package to the group, which contains a walkie-talkie. The voice behind it promises the Chaotix a large reward if they perform some missions for it, which they do. Charmy is the flight member of Team Chaotix, which lets him air lift the other two to higher areas, or to kick them at enemies.
In the end, the voice turns out to be Eggman, which angers the Chaotix as they know he won't pay them. Vengefully, Charmy starts stinging the doctor with his stinger. Later, it turns out that Metal Sonic had betrayed and imprisoned Eggman, which is why he needed their help. Metal Sonic proceeds to transform into Metal Madness, and Eggman tells the heroes that the only way to defeat it is by using the Chaos Emeralds. The Chaotix give Sonic their Chaos Emeralds, with Charmy having the cyan Emerald. They then stall Metal Madness by fighting his left side, so that Team Sonic could utilize a super transformation.
Shadow the HedgehogEdit
Charmy and the Chaotix work on a new mission in Shadow the Hedgehog. They all appear in the cut-scene prior to the Mad Matrix stage, but Charmy's most notable part of the game is on the Prison Island stage, in which he is a partner character. When Shadow the Hedgehog goes to the island, he finds Charmy, who explains that Vector sent him there to find five "top secret discs" that belongs to GUN. The player can choose whether or not to help him find these discs. Unlike most partner characters in the game, Charmy cannot be controlled by the second controller in the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions, as he is constantly airborne.
In the Last Story, Charmy inadvertently saves Earth when ramming his stinger into a computer aboard the Space Colony ARK while helping Espio and Vector hack in. By doing this, Charmy activates a videotape that allows Shadow to break free of Black Doom's mind control.
Charmy Bee appears on two collectible cards in Sonic Rivals.
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic GamesEdit
Charmy makes a cameo appearance as a referee.
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter GamesEdit
Charmy reappears as a more active referee in the sequel. In the DS version, the Chaotix were travelling, and left poor Charmy behind in Cubyrinth. When the player finds him without Vector, he won't open the door until the player finds Vector. When he/she finds Vector and take him to Charmy, Charmy will argue with Vector and then he will start a quiz. If the player succeeds, he will open the locked gates and cheer. After the player talks to him for a while, Charmy then can give the player the number of whitestones for Dream Island (Blizland, Cubyrinth, Sparkletown).
Charmy appears in the DS version of Sonic Colors as a non-playable character with the rest of Team Chaotix on a mission to investigate Eggman's theme park and also gives Sonic a mission on Planet Wisp.
Charmy appears in the console version of Sonic Generations. Charmy, with the rest of Team Chaotix, are seen celebrating Sonic's birthday party until Time Eater captures everyone, sending him to Planet Wisp. If Classic Sonic rescues him, Charmy tells him that saving people makes everything better and notices he looks "different". Classic Sonic had a "Seriously?" expression and gestures to get Charmy to recognize him. If Modern Sonic rescues him, Charmy tells him that he was scared when he was captured, but now he acts excited and flies to be a "free bee". Modern Sonic had a confused expression afterwards. At the Center of Time, Charmy encourages both Sonics, alongside Vector and Espio. After the battle, Charmy and the others head back to their original time and continue celebrating.
Charmy also appears in a Rooftop Run mission in which he manipulates various objects to slow Classic Sonic down. In a Planet Wisp mission, he helps make air pathways for Modern Sonic.
PersonalityEditCharmy is hyperactive and scatter brained, and not too bright. Because he is a child, he would rather play than work, as shown in the Chaotix' first level of Sonic Heroes. When the team is receiving their first mission at the beachy Seaside Hill, Charmy is hovering around singing "Sea, sea, sea". However, he is also the most friendly and optimistic of all the Chaotix members. Due to his age, he is not as skilled a detective as Vector or Espio, but he is nonetheless valuable to the team. It is possible he is also greedy like Vector, as they had dollar signs in their eyes when their client promised a large payment (Sonic Heroes), although, as children are wanting to do, he may just be emulating Vector's behavior.
Charmy, like many other Sonic characters, can run at high speeds, but is mostly known for his Flying ability, as he is the flight character for Team Chaotix in Sonic Heroes. He can use his stinger as a method of attack when he is alone and has the ability to somehow warp between large flowers, thus helping him and his friends to get around obstacles and complete their missions more quickly. In the game, if the team does not get all of the items by the time they finish a zone, Charmy can activate a flower and take them back to the beginning of the level. He also has acute hearing and is good at finding lost objects. Like other flight members in Sonic Heroes, Charmy can use Thunder Shoot, a move in which he charges his friends with electricity and kicks them at enemies. He can also carry as much as Vector and shrink down. Though he doesn't seem to excel at it, Charmy also plays drums during the "Chaotix Recital" Team Blast.
Appearances In Other MediaEdit
Shogakukan no Gakushuuzasshi/Corocoro SpecialEdit
Originally Charmy appears as a recurring character in the early manga, with his debut in the September 1992 issue of Shogaku Ninensei. In his debut, Charmy is said to be Sonic's partner and helps him out when in a pinch. He resides in a time box of unknown location and has the ability to manipulate time, which he uses to rewind to the moment before Sonic got into trouble
Charmy is also known to appear in a Corocoro Special adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. He is shown guiding Sonic and Tails around Chemical Plant Zone and assisting them when they get caught by a Grabber.
- This is the first licensed appearance of Charmy overall, predating Knuckles' Chaotix by roughly two and a half years.
- His appearance in Shogaku Ninensei appears vastly different to any of his game designs, down to only donning goggles when using his device to manipulate time. His appearance in Corocoro Special, like Amy, is very similar to his debut game appearance. He doesn't have a nose in either appearance.
Sonic the ComicEdit
In Sonic the Comic, he is a native of the Special Zone (as are the other members of Chaotix). Just like in the post-Heroes games (though it predates them), he is extremely scatterbrained and hyper, frequently annoying his team-mates to the point of insanity with his banter, odd speech patterns and cries of "righty-diddly-doo!" Due to his apparent insanity, he is frequently dismissed as a mere pest, although on several occasions he has managed to win the day single-handedly with his unorthodox solutions (like using worker bees to turn the Fundamental Four into a vase).
Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie)Edit
In the Archie Comics series, Charmy Bee is the prince of bees of the Golden Hive Colony. He felt pressured by his upcoming royal responsibilities and ran away from home, making his way to Angel Island. He found himself becoming a member of the Chaotix and assisted the group on Angel Island for time before returning home. When Golden Hive Colony was destroyed by the Eggman Empire, Charmy survived along with his fiancée, Saffron, and the two fled to Knothole. Along with other members of Chaotix, Charmy was taken prisoner during an attack on Knothole by Dr. Eggmanthat resulted in the city's destruction, but was subsequently rescued. He was also briefly subjected to the effects of the Egg Grape Chamber before he was freed.
In the anime Sonic X, the Chaotix crew play a very minor role in Season 2. They only appeared in one episode (Episode 39, "Defective Detectives") in which they try to help Vanilla the Rabbit find her daughter, Cream. In this episode Charmy along with Vector and Espio broke the proverbial fourth-wall by introducing themselves to the audience, Charmy mostly since he begged for more time to introduce himself. In Season 3, they play a much larger role. At first, they bring supplies to Chris, but Vector thinks they are also supposed to bring Cream back to her mother, Vanilla. Charmy seems to act as Vector's right-hand man during these missions, because while Espio reluctantly does them, Charmy is more enthusiastic when taking orders from Vector. Later, they appear to help fight the Metarex. Charmy seems to be calmer in the anime in comparison his video game counterpart.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose
- Rouge the Bat
- Big the Cat
- Cream the Rabbit
- Mighty the Armadillo
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Role Model)
- Team Chaotix - this theme is shared with Espio the Chameleon and Vector the Crocodile, yet Charmy is mentioned in the two lines "Danger hides when the hyper bee flies" and "Charmy's thing is dishin' out first sting"
- "Yeah, let's go!" When selecting Team Chaotix in Sonic Heroes.
- "It's here it's here, we got work!" When barging into the office of the Chaotix' detective agency in their opening cut-scene of Sonic Heroes.
- "Yeah, you know our policy!" After Vector reminds Espio of their policy in the Chaotix' opening cut-scene of Sonic Heroes.
- "Oh flower, pretty flower, show your face and I'll sting you!" When close to a mechanical flower in Sonic Heroes.
- "Can we go now?" Charmy when standing still for too long in Sonic Heroes.
- "ZOOM!" Charmy when boosting in flight in Sonic Heroes.
- "Take this you BAD MAN!" Charmy, when discovering that Eggman does not have the money to pay Team Chaotix.
- "Hey Shadow! I gotta ask you somethin'. Vector told me to find five top secret disks. But like, what's a top secret disk?" Charmy in Shadow the Hedgehog in the level Prison Island.
- "Shadow, you're so cool!" Charmy praising Shadow for defeating the Black Creatures.
- "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to another episode of delusional thinking with Vector!" When Vector argues with Espio about kidnapping Cream in Series 3 of Sonic X.
- "Yeah, Time To Rock And Roll!" When Team Chaotix encounter Team Rose in Sonic Heroes.
- "I'm bored" Charmy when standing still for too long in Sonic Heroes.
- "Look at all the fishy ships! I wonder if we could take one." Charmy when standing still for too long in Sonic Heroes (He says this in the Egg Fleet stage).
- "Nothing new for you, Vector!" after Vector claimed that Chaotix had made fools of themselves in Hang Castle
- "Incomplete Freak!" When Team Chaotix are fighting Metal Madness
- "FIRE! HOT HOT!" When Shadow comes across a Black Arms fire breathing plant.
- "Go up! Up, I say!" When Shadow has to reach a high area.
- "Sea, Sea, Sea." In Sonic Heroes at the beginning of Seaside Hill.
- "Yeah, whole day wasted!" Charmy repeating what Vector said about Espio's data retrival speed in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "I was scared because somebody took me, but now I'm free! I'm a free bee, free bee, free bee...wheee!" - Charmy after Modern Sonic rescues him from Planet Wisp in Sonic Generations.
- "That was very scary, but being with you makes it all better! Yeah!! Hey, you look different." - Charmy after Classic Sonic rescues him from Planet Wisp in Sonic Generations.
- "You're ROTTEN!" When Espio and Charmy find out Eggman was tricking them in Sonic Heroes.
- Charmy is the youngest male character of the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- In the US Manual of Knuckles' Chaotix, Charmy was labeled as being 16 years of age; however, with the release of Sonic Heroes, his age has been retconned to 6. It should be noted however that the Japanese manual for Chaotix didn't list an age for Charmy, as it did for the other characters.
- His size changed greatly from Chaotix (in which he was very small) to Sonic Heroes, (in which he was approximately the size of Cream, who is smaller than other Sonic characters, but far larger than previously proportioned).
- In his Season 2 appearance in Sonic X, Charmy is the only Chaotix member who doesn't get to introduce himself to the audience before the commercial break. The card shown for his character stats shows his reaction to this.
- Charmy is the first (and currently only) anthropomorphic insect in the entire cast of the series in the video games.
- Charmy has not been a playable character since Sonic Heroes, a game released in 2003.
- During the cutscene that took place before the Egg Hawk battle in Sonic Heroes, Charmy acts as if he's never met Robotnik before, which contradicts the events that took place in Knuckles' Chaotix. This may be because Espio referred to him as Doctor Eggman, but Charmy may have remembered him as Doctor Robotnik.
- So far, Charmy is the only member of the Chaotix not to appear playable without the rest of his team (Espio appeared in Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Rivals 2; Vector appeared in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, its sequel, and Sonic Free Riders).
- Charmy has proven, despite his small size, he is actually very strong because he can lift both Vector and Espio and remain in flight.
- In Sonic 3D Blast, a unnamed Badnik bears a resemblance to a giant-headed Charmy.
- Charmy is one of the few male characters to wear clothes other than the usual gloves and shoes.
- Charmy is seen to have a small bee badge on his jacket.
- Charmy seems to be so scatterbrained that he sometimes can't remember what to do. In the DS version of Sonic Colors, Charmy seems to have forgotten that he was sent on a job and was too focused on the rides.
- Charmy is the least used member of Team Chaotix in Sonic games.
- In Shadow the Hedgehog, he can't be taken control of by player 2, unlike Vector and Espio. This is most likely because he floats like the Eggman monitor and Doom's Eye.
- Irony can be found many times in Charmy, such as when bees sting they die, however, Charmy has used his several times and still lives.
- Ironic as well, Charmy is a honey bee but honey bees don't sting at all when provoked, angry, etc. however, Charmy still seems to use it when threatened.
For more, please see Charmy Bee/Artwork.
- Charmy Bee Concept: "Mobius"
|Heroes||Sonic | Tails | Amy | Knuckles | Mighty | Vector | Espio | Charmy | Big | Tikal | Cream | Emerl | Blaze | Omochao | Silver|
|Antiheroes||Chaos | Gamma | Alpha | Shadow | Rouge | Omega | Jet | Wave | Storm|
|Villains||Eggman | Metal | EggRobo | Fang | Nega|
|Other||Mecha | Gerald | Froggy | Cheese | Vanilla|