Cheese the Chao
in other media
Genderless (Though mostly referred to as male)
40 cm (1 ft. 3 in.)
Light Blue, yellow
|Alignment and character traits|
|Skills, abilities and powers|
Cheese (チーズ Chīzu?) is the name of a Chao owned by Cream the Rabbit. He is often used as a method of attack by Cream in the many games they both appear in. Cheese measures 40 cm (1ft and 3in). He has the appearance of a neutral child Chao: he is light blue and has yellow markings at the tip of his head, hands, feet and tail, a bulb-shaped head, dark blue eyes, a floating, yellow pom-pom ball hovering above the top of his head that changes appearance corresponding to his emotions, two pink butterfly-like wings and a small circular tail. He is distinguishable from other Chao by his red bow tie (its color alternates to pink depending on the game played). Cheese is mostly referred to as male, but in Sonic X "he" is sometimes referred to as female. In Shadow the Hedgehog, Cream asks Shadow to find Cheese in which she says, "You have to find him." His sibling is Chocola, who only appeared in Sonic Heroes. He is also a Neutral Child Chao, but Chocola is chocolate brown, has a blue bow tie instead of red, and blue wings instead of pink.
He is a Unique Chao in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, and raises the entire team's luck when bonded to a character. Cheese is the only Chao in the game that can't be attained from an egg, and is also the only Chao that has significance in a side-quest. Cheese is found in a cave that you need to climb to access it.
Cheese is Cream's main form of attack - Cream launches Cheese as a 'homing missile' of sorts, as he homes in on and, in the Advance games, destroys an enemy, making him a valuable weapon. He is also shown to be able to create tornadoes in Sonic Battle.
In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Cheese has the ability to greatly increase the luck of all team members during battle.
Cream is Cheese's best friend and partner. The two are rarely ever seen apart from each other.
Chocola is Cheese's sibling that appears in Sonic Heroes.
Sonic has occasionally came to Cream and Cheese's rescue throughout the series.
In other media
Cheese is a main character in the Sonic X anime and comic, again appearing as Cream the Rabbit's faithful pet.
Cheese appeared alongside Cream in Sonic Universe #21.
- Cheese's name comes from the food "cream cheese", which couples with the fact that Cream is rarely seen without him.
- It is possible for the player to obtain more than one Cheese in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
- In Sonic X, it is hinted that Cheese somehow knew Chaos, as he claps with joy when he sees Chaos and protests when Chaos is called a monster. One possible explanation is that seeing as Chaos was once the 'protector' and leader of all Chao, and was a Chao himself, Cheese could sense his true nature. Cheese also got upset when the others referred to Perfect Chaos as a monster, and later joined the group of chao that was surrounding Chaos after he calmed down.
- In the Sonic X comics, Cheese is referred to as a female. Cheese is also referred to as a female in the Sonic X episode, "Little Chao Lost" (Season 1, Ep. 22).
- Cheese has the ability to hover in the air, unlike the Chao from the Sonic Adventure series, who can only fly for a few seconds before having to land.
- Strangely, when Cream has Cheese equipped in Sonic Chronicles, Cheese will stay next to her even when she throws him at an enemy.
- In Sonic Colors, Cheese doesn't wear his signature red bow tie.
- In the Japanese version of Sonic X, there is one episode where instead of Sonic meeting Amy in the Hikaru Michi ending, Cheese is there instead. He even looks up at Sonic like Amy does when Sonic finds them.
- In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, there is a Chao called Cheezlet that is very similar to Cheese.
- Sonic Free Riders is the first Sonic game that Cheese is not with Cream throughout the story, although she does reference him along with her mother in one cutscene.