|This object exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The chili dog is an object that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is a food product consumed on Mobius (and in alternate Zones), which is made and sold by several parties. It is perhaps best known as the favorite food of Sonic the Hedgehog.
As the name suggests, the chili dog is a generic name for a hot dog served in a bun and topped with some sort of meat sauce and a spicy substance known as chili.
After abandoning the roboticization project, Sir Charles Hedgehog opted to run a food business with chili dogs as its main item, named Chuck's Chili Dogs, with his nephew Sonic initially working as his delivery boy.
In time, Sonic affinity for the food became so much so that he would often consumes chili dogs in his spare time, sometimes several at a time (yet surprisingly without affecting his physical health). Chili dogs would also often served at celebrations surrounding the hedgehog, in his honor. Several of Sonic's alternate doppelganger from alternate realities are likewise known to love the food, including his counterparts from Moebius and In Another Time, In Another Place.
One time, Sonic ate a bunch of chili dogs as a present to himself, only to have a food related nightmare where he was a chili dog. When Sonic woke up, Sally Acorn and Tails gave him a plate of chili dogs. Sonic at first refused this present, but ate them anyway.
- Note: From this point, the chili dog's history continues from its new existence in the altered timeline.
- Brown 1 lb ground beef
- Add ½ cup each of chopped onions, peppers and mushrooms (brown lightly)
- Add 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- Add 8 oz barbecue sauce
- Simmer ½ hour
- Add 1 teaspoon each of chili powder, cumin, oregano
- Add 1 large can red kidney beans (drained)
- Simmer 1 hour
- Add hot dogs
- Cook 15 minutes in sauce
- Put on toasted roll
- Melted cheese (optional)
- Sonic the Hedgehog's fondness for chili dogs is something that has been a staple of Sonic's characterization in western territories, having been first established in the animated series, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. In the years since, the chili dog has been established as Sonic's favorite food in just about every Sonic-related media, eventually making its way into the games' canon as well.
- A query regarding chili dogs was asked in the Sonic Universe fan-mail service and published in Sonic Universe #4. A comment that stated "We don't see Sonic eating a lot of chili dogs anymore. What gives?" It was replied: "He's been too busy saving the world to dwell on dinner! But don't you worry—he's scarffin' down plenty behind the scenes".
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Sonic the Hedgehog"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Hedgehog Family"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #136, "The Infiltrator"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #30, "The Return of Uncle Chuck"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #150, "Hero to Zero In No Time At All"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #197, "Knight Time"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "Food for Thought" or "You Are What You Eat!"
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Fast Food"