|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Chip, real name the Light Gaia, is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is an ancient spirit that restores the world whenever it shatters every ten thousandth year, the most recent time being the Shattered World Crisis.
In Vector's words, Chip resembles a "winged Chihuahua." He has brown and white fur with green wings and a green orb on his white necklace. Chip is incredibly tiny, only roughly a fourth of a typical individual.
Shattered World Crisis
During the Shattered World Crisis, Chip's spirit was manifested on Sonic's World at the same time that the essence of his antithesis, Dark Gaia, was spread across the planet. However, due to the planet's shattering having gone awry, Chip got amnesia and could not remember anything but bits and pieces. After waking up, he found a Chaos Emerald. Recalling the Emerald was important and he needed it for something, he took it with him and began wandering about. A few days later, he ended up in the depths of Aquatic Mine Zone with it, where he began to notice that Knuckles and the Chaotix were watching him. Knuckles and the Chaotix located him with the red Chaos Emerald in the Aquatic Mine Zone, where the Chaotix unfortunately chased him in pursuit of the gem. After being halted by Knuckles, the group explained that he had come looking for him and that Emerald was intended to save the world. It was at this point that Chip revealed to the group that he had amnesia, and was unaware of his true purpose or real name. As he compared the situation to cookies, Charmy Bee was inspired to dub him Chip. Unfortunately, the new found friends were soon menaced by the Hooligans, who were also after the Emerald, and a Dark Gaia Titan. Chip was abducted by the Hooligans, who left his friends trapped in the flooding mine with the Titan.
Fortunately, Knuckles and the Chaotix escaped the mine and caught up to Chip's abductors, and were followed by the Titan. In the confusion, Vector recovered Chip and the Emerald and hid them in the only available place: inside his mouth. Once the Titan had been dispatched and the Hooligans been sent off on a false Emerald trail, Chip emerged, and Knuckles took him back to Angel Island. There he met and befriended Tikal, who later took him to the Hidden Palace Zone while Knuckles addressed the threat of Eclipse the Darkling. Subsequently, Chip traveled back to the surface with Knuckles, who was searching for the shards of the Master Emerald, with the two eventually arriving in Casino Park.
Chip would later watched from the audience as Knuckles took part in the Chaos Emerald Championship. Afterwards, the pair joined the Freedom Fighters aboard the Sky Patrol with the Speed Star. On the way back, the pair were introduced to Sonic the Hedgehog's Werehog form. Chip subsequently accompanied Sonic and Antoine D'Coolette to Apotos to meet Gregorios, though they had to deal with a Badnik patrol along the way. Chip felt bad about not being able to help out more, but Sonic assured him of his value and they continued on their way, though not before Chip spotted a man selling ice cream. After getting information from Gregorios about the Gaia Gate and Gaia Keys, the setting sun caused Sonic to become the Werehog again, a transformation he hoped would end with the planet's restoration. Chip expressed hopes that this event would also cure his amnesia, but before they could dwell on it for long, a force of Dark Gaia's Minions attacked. Knuckles, Amy Rose, and Bunnie D'Coolette arrived to back them up, and they managed to recover a Master Emerald shard before returning to the Sky Patrol.
Chip went with Sonic and Rotor the Walrus to Artika to retrieve the next Gaia Keys after infiltrating the Artika Egg Army's base. He managed to sneak in and swipe the card from an soldier. There, they managed to save Jari-Thure and his wife Sarianna. Chip later played a role in finding another Gaia Key Guardian, Ehsan. He brainstormed a plan to rescue Eshan and help Sonic.
Chip would again come along to find a Gaia Temple in Mazuri. After locating a temple, he remembered that he did not know what to do yet. Chip went through an ancient engraving and come back knowing who he really was and how he came to be. Sonic, Chip with Sally and Antoine later paired up with Dulcy and her Shijin Warriors to find the last key. Chip used his new-found power to free the Gaia Phoenix from Dark Gaia's influence.
Chip is a cheerful, optimistic individual, but struggled for a time with his lost memories. He is quite friendly and quickly becomes loyal, seeking to help his friends with their endeavors. Even though he is easily distracted from the importance of recovering his memories, he is willing to saving the shattered world. He also has quite the sweet tooth, from using metaphors about cookies to eagerly setting his sights on a nearby ice cream stand after a battle.
Powers and abilities
According to Tikal, Chip is a powerful spirit. With his wings, Chip can achieve flight in midair and can even outfly Charmy. As the Light Gaia he has the potential to reassemble the world, but due to the ill-timed occurrence of the Shattered World Crisis, his abilities were greatly limited.
- Chip originates from the game Sonic Unleashed, and his backstory and role in the comic is loosely adapted from that game.
- Chip was inexplicably absent from the Worlds Unite crossover event, with no information being given as to why he did not appear.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Head writer Ian Flynn has revealed on Twitter that Chip's measurements are the same as those of his game counterpart.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Universe #63 - "The Great Chaos Caper - Part One: On the Hunt"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Sonic Universe #65, "The Great Chaos Caper Part Three: Chip of the Ol' Emerald!"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #64 - "The Great Chaos Caper - Part Two: The Unusual Suspects"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #66, "The Great Chaos Caper Part Four: Water Way To Go!"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #67, "Total Eclipse Part One: Uninvited Guests"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #268, "Champions Part One: The Gang's All Here"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #269, "Champions Part Two: Climbing the Brackets"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #270, "Champions Part Three: Raising the Stakes"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #271, "Champions Finale: The One Left Standing"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #272, "Ray of Hope"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #276, "Cold Hearted"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #278, "Face of the Enemy Part One: Friends in Need"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #279, "Face of the Enemy Part Two: Friends in Deed"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #280, "Keys to Victory"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #281, "Wings of Fire Part One: Slow Burn"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #282, "Wings of Fire Part Two: Fighting Fire With Fire"