Cocoa Island (ココアアイランド Kokoa Airando?), also called Tails Island or Kokko Island, is a location in the Sonic the Hedgehog series and the main setting of Tails Adventure. It is a tiny island in the spring-like South Pacific which is not found on any map. Cocoa Island is also where Miles "Tails" Prower lived for an unknown period of time. Cocoa Island is fairly homogeneous climate with forests, mountains and caverns, and is surrounded by numerous islands offshore.
Before his first meeting with Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails lived on the Cocoa Island. One day though, the island was invaded by the Battle Kukku Empire, whose battleship and battalions of soldiers set Poloy Forest on fire. Waking up from the chaos, Tails met a Flicky who informed him about the empire's attack. Tails then noticed a large mecha in the flames, as the empire's leader, Great Battle Kukku, hunted for the Chaos Emeralds that were hidden around Cocoa Island.
Commencing his first adventure, Tails traveled around the island to gather the Chaos Emeralds. Along the way, he met the Great Battle Kukku's son Battle Kukku XVI in Polly Mountain, took down empire's battle cruiser on the open sea, and destroyed both Mecha Golems in Cavern Island and Volcanic Tunnel. Eventually, Tails discovered a lonely island in the southeast that turned out to be the Battle Kukku Empire's flying Battle Fortress. After Tails took down both Battle Kukku XVI and the Great Battle Kukku himself for good, the Battle Fortress sank into the ocean and peace reigned over Cocoa Island again.
- Tails' House, a cozy wood-paneled house, that functions as a hub in the game. Used for entering passwords or swapping equipment items for Tails and his Sea Fox. The player can enter anytime after completing Poloy Forest for the first time.
- Poloy Forest, set alight by the Battle Kukku Empire at the outset.
- Caron Forest, untouched woodland with caves and waterfalls.
- Polly Mountain 2, pitch-black caves and high bluffs.
- Polly Mountain 1, another (slightly less dark) entrance to the mountain chain.
- Volcanic Tunnel, magma tubes below the surface.
- Lake Crystal, a Sea Fox level that sees Tails navigate the island's central river.
- Lake Rocky, accessed from the little pier south of Tails' House.
- Green Island, the northwest wooded islet; full of bees.
- Cavern Island in the northeast; a labyrinth of submarine riptides.
- Battle Fortress in the southeast; the Battle Kukku Empire massive command fortress.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Cocoa Island is an island on Mobius that was discovered by Tails during the First Robotnik War. It was as well there T-Pup was created. As Tails later brought Antoine D'Coolette and Bunnie D'Coolette to Cocoa Island for the pair's honeymoon, the heroes were attacked by the Battle Bird Armada who had occupied the island. In the end, the heroes drove the armada off the island.
- As the western instruction manuals of Tails Adventure include altered storylines for the game, Tails Island is specified as Tails' favorite holiday spot and that he had taken a little vacation to the island after his and Sonic's previous adventure before the events of the game.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Tails Adventure (Sega Game Gear) Japanese instruction manual pg. 4.
- ↑ Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut Mini Game Collection description.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Tails Adventure (Sega Game Gear) North American instruction manual pg. 3.
- ↑ Sonic Gems Collection refers to the island as "Kokko Island", though this is likely just an alternate spelling of "Cocoa".