|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- For the version of this character after the Super Genesis Wave, see Coconuts (Archie).
Coconuts (created 3228)[note 1] is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He was one of the oldest "elite" Badniks and foes of Sonic the Hedgehog and the Freedom Fighters and also one of the most persistent. He was built by Dr. Robotnik as a member of the Super Special Sonic Search & Smash Squad.
Coconuts always tried to destroy Sonic and the Freedom Fighters, but kept suffering embarrassing defeats due to his limited A.I. and armaments. Eventually, he resurfaced on the Island of Misfit Badniks, later becoming Mammoth Mogul's "butler monkey."
Coconuts is monkey-like in appearance, with a particularly monkey-like head and an incandescent light bulb coming out of the top. His head is a dark brown except for his face, which has been shown in tan or orange, while his eyes are black. Coconuts' body and tail were originally gray, with the exception of a trio of buttons underneath a rectangle panel on his chest, while his feet were initially red. His arms were originally tan, as were his hands, with silver bands around his elbows. Coconuts appearance changed in Sonic the Hedgehog #187 to a tuxedo given his new job as a "butler monkey." His lower body and hands also became a darker brown to match his face.
Coconuts made his debut when Dr. Robotnik "tested" him out on Crabmeat, who he blew up with a single coconut bomb. Robotnik then sent Coconuts after Sonic and Tails, who were both going out for a run. Coconuts ambushed the two and had the upper hand at first, but the two knocked one of his bombs back and forth between each other before knocking it into Coconuts, leaving him in pieces. Sonic then humorously mailed Coconuts' pieces back to Robotnik, who was outraged and decided to send Coconuts' teammates, Scratch and Grounder, after Sonic and Tails.
Coconuts came into conflict with Sonic and the other Freedom Fighters several more times, such as when he kidnapped Sally Acorn, Rotor, Antoine, and Tails in an attempt to destroy Sonic and become Dr. Robotnik's favorite Badnik. Another attempt, this time to drive out a spy, had Coconuts and Jaws commit an undersea bank heist. Sonic knew what was happening and brought some friends to harpoon the two badniks. Coconuts was also present at Sonic and Sally's "wedding" along with other Badniks. Another time, he tried to stop an anteater from stealing Robotnik's Chaos Emeralds, not knowing the "anteater" was Bunnie Rabbot.
Island of Misfit Badniks
After a long absence, Coconuts reappeared on the Island of Misfit Badniks as one of the many lost Badniks there. Coconuts and the other Badniks tried to kill Sonic, and he was also one of the many who watched Sonic's fight with Pseudo-Sonic. After Sonic trashed Pseudo Sonic, the island apparently sunk, but in truth, it transformed into an underwater fortress. Coconuts and the other Badniks planned to turn Pseudo Sonic giant and take over Mobius, but their plans were stopped when the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters showed up and defeated most of the Badniks, including Coconuts. The blue whale, Big Fluke, then compacted Coconuts, Pseudo Sonic, and the other Badniks into a metal cube, leaving them trapped at the bottom of the ocean.
Working for Mogul
Using sheer willpower, Coconuts got out of the metal cube and crawled all the way up to shore. He planned to restore glory to the Badniks, but he ended up meeting the ancient Mammoth Mogul, who had purchased the Casino Night Zone. The casino had the Badniks from the Robo Hobo Jungle as its employees, and even Coconuts' old teammates, Scratch and Grounder, were there. Coconuts became Mogul's butler and was in charge of his appointments and meetings. However, Coconuts told Grounder that he hated his new job as a "monkey butler". When Bean the Dynamite, Bark the Polar Bear, and the Destructix showed up at the casino's kitchen, the Bottom of the Barrel Bar 'n' Grill, with a captured Sonic, Coconuts, Scratch, and Grounder all started taunting him. However, all three were somewhat embarrassed when they couldn't even remember their team name. The Destructix's leader, Sleuth Dog, demanded that he get paid by Mogul, but Coconuts told the canine that Mogul would pay him when he was ready. Drago Wolf tried to intimidate Coconuts, but Sleuth merely told him to shut up and commented that even Coconuts could take him.
When Geoffrey St. John came to the casino with a Chaos Emerald, Coconuts and two SWATbots showed up to talk to him saying that no one sees "Mister Mogul" without an appointment. Geoffrey then beat him up and dragged him in, with Coconuts saying to Mogul "your 11 o' clock is here sir." Coconuts then walked away to repair himself.
- Note: From this point, Coconuts's history continues from his new life in the altered timeline.
Coconuts was originally very loyal to Dr. Robotnik, to the point where he endured considerable damage in his efforts to fulfill his orders. However, Coconuts was not without ambition, and after being abandoned with the other "Misfit" Badniks, he soon aspired to form them into an army with which to conquer Mobius. However, his plans were constantly thwarted prematurely. Grudgingly, Coconuts entered Mammoth Mogul's service like the other old badniks, though unlike his teammate Grounder he found the job humiliating.
Powers and abilities
Coconuts' only known abilities are throwing bombs in the shape of coconuts that make quite a bang and constructing half-thought traps. He does appear to be quite sturdy, however, as he has taken very heavy damage in the past, yet always returns repaired.
- Coconuts is based on the character of the same name from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series (which had many elements featured in the comic before they changed the comic's direction), who is in turn based on the Badnik who first debuted in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- Coconuts was the first character from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to appear in the Archie Comics.
- According to an article on Sonic HQ, writer Karl Bollers had planned for Coconuts to return to the comic by teaming him up with an amnesiac Nate Morgan. This idea never came to pass, however.
- ↑ Sonic mentioned in Sonic the Hedgehog #188 that he fought Coconuts when was eight, meaning Coconuts was created at some point in 3228.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "The S6 Squad"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Triple Trouble"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "Beat the Clock!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #16, "The Man From H.E.D.G.E.H.O.G."
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #18, "Wedding Bell Blues!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #30, "Who Keeps Stealing My Chaos Emeralds?"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "The Island of Misfit Badniks!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #185, "Misfit Badniks: The Soggy, Salty Sequel"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #187, "Mister Popular"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #188, "Beating the House"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #219, "In Service to the King Part One"