Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Before the coming of Iblis, Crisis City was a booming metropolitan area teeming with life. But now the city is in pure ruin, charred by the ﬂames of Iblis. Fire ravages the infernal metropolis, searing the sky and belching voluminous smoke into the night air.
— Sonic the Hedgehog: Official Game Guide
Crisis City (クライシスシティ Kuraishisu Shiti?) is an Action Stage in Sonic the Hedgehog which, as stated in the game, is at least 200 years in the future. It was destroyed by a monster named Iblis and all that is left are ruins of buildings and streets. The only known living people there are Silver the Hedgehog and Blaze the Cat, although, there have been mention of others by Silver. Judging by what Silver says, it seems that the other inhabitants of the future seem to have evolved psychic powers similar to Silver's to survive, but none are seen to confirm this. Other inhabitants are monsters spawned from Iblis. The origin of the city seems to be Soleanna, given that Rouge states that the location of the computer room is the same as Eggman's base in the modern day counterpart.
After he inﬁltrates Dr. Eggman’s base, Sonic sacriﬁces his Chaos Emerald to the madman in exchange for Elise’s safety. Unfortunately, it’s a trap. Dr. Eggman has a time machine that catapults Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles into the future, giving them a taste of Silver’s ruined fate. The sight of the infernal metropolis comes as a shock to Sonic, but he doesn’t have much time to sit and stare at the handiwork of the Iblis Trigger. The minions of Iblis close in on this hedgehog intruder from the past. Sonic must sprint, grind, and glide through wave after wave of ﬁery monsters if he wants to reconnect with Tails and Knuckles. Perhaps together they can ﬁnd a way back to their own time before they become permanent ﬁxtures in this terrible apocalypse.
As Sonic the Hedgehog, the player starts off using a board to get through part one. Then, Sonic runs through the level after that. Upon this, the player experiences a jumping section through debris and a super-speed area, eventually locating a database stating the destruction of the Egg Carrier and Elise's death. Flame Core is the next level at this point.
Vaulted into the Silver’s terrible future, Shadow the Hedgehog must somehow navigate the charred metropolis. Crumbling buildings and twisted infrastructure provide Iblis’s gigantic army with many attack positions, but Shadow can make use of the fractured highways and exposed steel re bar to skate past danger. The ﬁght for the future leads to the top of skyscrapers, and unlike Silver who can use his psychic talents to levitate in the air Shadow must be mindful of gravity, otherwise he’ll plummet straight down into the inferno.
As Shadow the Hedgehog, the player starts off in an optional armored buggy. After this, Shadow grinds and runs through the level, eventually encountering an air glider, where Shadow can fly through the debris of the city. After locating the green Chaos Emerald and finding an inoperable Omega, the player proceeds to Flame Core.
As Silver the Hedgehog, the player starts off by approaching and fighting Iblis. Then, Blaze the Cat is used to attack the monsters and pursue Iblis, along with Silver. At the end, Iblis is fought for the first time.
This is the first level in Silver's Story.
Silver Medals locations
- During the first of the snowboarding section, the player must jump up from the second ramp to ride a rail. At the end of the rail, is the first Silver medal.
- As the player continues, if the player misses the rail that leads to a higher road hanged in the air, he will go to the skyscraper. Look for the second Silver medal in the center of this skyscraper, hidden behind a ﬂailing worm.
- After the snowboarding section, once the rail to the player's left disappears, jump off to the rail straight ahead, to find the Silver medal at the very end of it.
- After the third medal, keep running along the building until landing on a green awning with a Spring that bounces the player around the buildings. The player will collect the fourth Silver medal while rocketing through the air.
- On the way, after the player unlocks the Spring from the Case. The Dash Panel rockets the player through a trail of Rings and toward a section of twisted freeway. The player lands on a rail, picking up a Silver medal just as you touch down.
- After the second point marker, once the player reaches the roof of the tall building, use a Homing Attack on the Iblis Worm, then jump up to grab the Silver Medal in the air just before landing on the spring.
- After the third point marker (section 3), the seventh medal waits between two cargo containers on the left side of the course, near the ﬂying yellow taxi.
- After the fourth point marker (section 3), ﬁnd another Silver medal hanging in the air by a tall piece of building debris. Look to the left, then jump across the ﬁre birds and leap onto the debris. Check to make sure the player will land himself on the concrete ledge below, then jump out into the wind and grab the medal.
- In the fourth section, the ninth medal is behind a giant wall of wooden crates.
- After seeing two Golems on the way, the final Silver medal is located just beyond the 1-Up capsule that waits past the two brutes, hanging behind the four crates perfectly stacked on the freeway’s right side. As the player gets close, the winds lift up the crates and reveal the its location.
- Once the player jumps off a bottomless pit to another dais, get out of the Buggy and look for the exposed rail sticking out of the building on the right side of the mangled freeway. Jump through the Ring capsule and skate the line through the building interior, picking up several Rings and the first Silver medal.
- The second medal is located above the rails before the path of the first section splits in two.
- The third medal is the trickiest one. Once the player charges toward the rails network in the second section, jump off the rail you ride, just after seeing the first two Iblis Takers and steer the control stick to the right while doing so to the camera site as well, till you are high above the rail that leads to a Rainbow Ring. By this way, the player will be above the silver medal, then control your fall with launching Chaos Spears rapidly to descend till the player grabs it and fall safely.
- Select the rail that leads to the Rainbow Ring and hop into it, to get the fourth medal.
- After the second point marker, it is clearly seen in front of a spiraling rail.
- In the Glider section, look for the sixth Silver medal toward the center of the route, just after the player passes through the two sections of street debris that collide into each other.
- In the third point marker during the fourth section, turn back around and look for a Spring on a small piece of ruined freeway. Jump up and use a Homing Attack to reach it. The Spring vaults the player into the air, straight into the seventh Silver medal.
- After the seventh medal, keep going straight till the edge of the abyss, then turn to the left to see it.
- After the fourth point marker, reach the front of the rail that twists around the fire tornado, then jump to the left and use Homing Attack on an enemy to get to the ninth Silver medal.
- The final medal is located to the right of the sixth point marker behind a wall.
- Pick up the first Silver medal tucked behind the water tower before crossing the first makeshift bridge the player created with psychokinesis.
- After the third point marker, the second medal is located next to the first pipe to the right, behind the platform with the five Ring Item box on it.
- After reaching the second PK mark, the player will notice a skyscraper on his view, so levitiate to it, to locate it high on the other side of the roof, the player must use Psychokinesis on a container to reach.
- After the sixth point marker and after using another PK mark, step out on the pipe, then use Levitation to grab the Silver medal.
- In Blaze's section, it is located near the first Cased spring.
- Use the spring mentioned above to jump off toward a rail, then jump again just as the player is near the Spring at the corner of the two girders. Land on the Spring to pick up the sixth Silver medal hanging in the air above the scene.
- In the first point marker of the third section, the seventh medal is inside the wooden crates on the left side of the street. Use Psychokinesis to lift the crates and expose the medal.
- Not so far, the player will see an Iblis Worm on a green awning to the left and a Silver medal hanging in the air. To get the medal, the player has to jump off the explosive crate next to the worm and Levitate through the air.
- Near the eighth medal, It located on a small platform to the right from the second checkpoint of this section.
- After flying to the skyscraper, the player will see the tenth medal on a platform to the right on the side of the building.
While Crisis City's origins are not explained, it is presumed that the city was destroyed in the release of Iblis in an alternate timeline with the death of Princess Elise, caused by the Iblis Trigger. The city is in ruins, and mostly on fire due to Iblis' never-ending destructive flames, although a lot of buildings are still standing (although many are damaged). The ground must have been destroyed and a sea of molten lava covers nearly all of the remains, The reason for this could be the lava had rose from under the ground and Iblis rises from it as his body is composed of magma.
In one of the several alternate timelines of Sonic the Hedgehog, Princess Elise was captured by Dr. Eggman to obtain the power of Iblis, but in the process, the aircraft the two were in lost power and crashed, killing them both and presumably releasing Iblis, although it is possible that the Iblis Trigger caused the release of Iblis, due to Sonic attempting to rescue her.
Following Iblis' release, the world was thrown into an apocalyptic state, Iblis destroying most places including Crisis City. Mankind blamed Shadow the Hedgehog for the destruction and imprisoned him with assistance from E-123 Omega who later shutdown and went into emergency stasis. Silver, determined to discover who or what caused the world's destruction and Iblis' release, is visited by Mephiles the Dark who informs him and Blaze that it was Sonic who released Iblis and is the Iblis Trigger. He then proceeds to send the two into the past to stop Sonic, but Mephiles himself is in fact the Iblis Trigger.
At the same time that Silver and Blaze meet Mephiles, Sonic, Miles "Tails" Prower and Knuckles the Echidna arrive in the city, along with Shadow and Rouge the Bat who meet up and then separate to search for the Chaos Emeralds in order to return to the past using Chaos Control. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles witness the talk between Silver, Blaze and Mephiles and access an old computer, revealing Elise's death and Iblis' release, prompting them to return to the past. Shadow sends them and Rouge back to the past before facing Mephiles, who revealed what happened to the Ultimate Life-form. Omega is sent in by Rouge to help Shadow defeat Mephiles and return to the past (Sonic's time).
Later, Shadow, Rouge and Omega fought Mephiles for good in their timeline, defeating him but reducing him to a liquid state. Silver and Blaze return to Crisis City, and battle Iblis. Iblis is defeated, and Blaze becomes Iblis' new host, seemingly sacrificing herself to bring peace and sunlight to Crisis City, extinguishing Iblis' flames.
- Like Station Square, this stage's locations are based on New York City. In some areas of Crisis City, there are ruined road signs with directions to Central Park on them, suggesting that Crisis City could be New York City in the future or even Station Square. Some of the buildings also match buildings in the New City of Soleanna.
- In Silver's stage, a few signs have faded writing with the writing "Chao Garden" on them. This could be a reference to the Sonic Adventure games.
- In Sonic's stage, when jumping on debris in the third section, if looking closely, one can see a Chao in Space 3 billboard.
- If this was Soleanna, the Chao Garden signs might imply that Soleanna may have had a Chao Garden at some point.
- Sonic Rivals 2 has a stage that bears a great resemblance to Crisis City called Chaotic Inferno Zone.
- This is only level where Mephiles' minions do not appear alongside Iblis' minions
- There is some of unused quotes said by both Sonic and Shadow in the game data, which states that Sonic/Shadow gets sucked into the tornado, and both of them nearly thank each other for helping. This implies that this Action Stage was going to have both Sonic and Shadow playable in its sections.
- Strangely, before the player proceeds to the second section of Shadow's version, there is a huge Shuttle loops where the player will home directly to the ground when using the Homing Attack just before the loop begins, as if there was a target there.
|Crisis City ~The Flames ~ Scyscraper ~ Whirlwind ~ Tornado~||Tomoya Ohtani||6:50|
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: Official Game Guide, pg. 236
- Silver Medal Location Guide by Agnix
- Sonic the Hedgehog Prima official guide