- For other uses of the term, see Cubot (disambiguation).
Arr! Me voice chip's all cattywampus!
— Cubot, Sonic Lost World
Cubot (キューボット Kyūbotto?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a robot built by Dr. Eggman. One of Eggman's aide robots, Cubot mainly assists the doctor in his schemes for world domination, with his partner Orbot working alongside him to perform various duties.
While loyal to Eggman, Cubot is dim-witted and lazy. Also, depending on the voice chip currently inserted into him, his accent and personality changes.
Cubot is a diminutive robot, but slightly taller than Orbot. He has a black square head with a flatten, yet wider yellow square cap on top and a larger black square on the bottom, the latter which resembles a jaw. His jaw can separate from his head to reveal a light blue cover resembling a mouth. He also has two grey-framed and pupil-less light blue eyes. His chest consists of a smaller yellow cube and he has yellow gloves for hands. His arms and back consist each of two thin grey bars that are joined by a black and yellow ball joint. His lower body is a black open cube with a grey inside and a ball joint connecting it to his back.
In Sonic Colors, Cubot and Orbot assisted Dr. Eggman in his scheme to enslave the world with a mind control cannon by capturing the Wisps from their planets in Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park and harvesting their Hyper-go-on. At some point prior, Cubot received a new voice chip to replace his old voice, but occasionally got stuck with a cowboy accent.
Before the opening day of the amusement, Cubot and Orbot were out trying to capture Yacker and a Cyan Wisp until Sonic arrived and saved the Wisps. Later, Orbot and Cubot presented the Wisps they had caught to Eggman and were just sent out to get more when Sonic had arrived. After the Rotatatron had been released and destroyed, Cubot and Orbot were send to clean up the robot's remains. Though they were unable to find Rotatatron's arm, Cubot was unconcerned, not aware it had been jammed into Eggman's mind control cannon.
Following that, Cubot continued working on his voice, but without much luck. When the mind control cannon was ready, Cubot watched Eggman activate it, only for it to backfire due to the Rotatatron's arm being stuck in it. As Eggman was in denial of what was happening, Cubot remarked that Sonic always foiled his plans. Cubot was then praised by Orbot for being attentive by getting a slap in the back, which gave Cubot his original voice back. When Eggman then faced Sonic in his Nega-Wisp Armor and was defeated, Cubot was pulled with Eggman and Orbot into a temporarily black hole created by the mind control cannon. Now stranded in outer space, Cubot and Orbot began helping Eggman get back to civilization by pushing him in his trashed Egg Mobile through space while Cubot continued to talk endlessly about a random number of subjects.
Some time before the events of Sonic Generations, a short while after the destruction of Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park, Cubot and Orbot were still pushing Eggman in his damaged Egg Mobile through outer space when they encountered the primordial form of the Time Eater. As Eggman decided to harness the creature's powers for his own needs, he had Orbot and Cubot push him into the Time Eater, leaving the robot duo behind in space.
Sonic Lost World
In Sonic Lost World, Cubot and Orbot were working for Dr. Eggman in his newest scheme to conquer the world with the help of the Deadly Six, who Eggman had forced into serving him with the Cacophonic Conch. After kidnapping a capsule full of Animals for Badniks, Cubot was flying through the sky with Eggman and Orbot in the Egg Mobile when they were pursued by Sonic and Tails in the Tornado, until Eggman shot the Tornado down.
Returning to Eggman's factory on the Lost Hex, Cubot worked with Orbot on making Badniks. Later on, when Eggman tested his Extractor, Cubot accidentally, but delightfully, drunk a portion of the harvested energy, until Eggman shut the machine down as the Extractor could destroy the planet.
Later in Desert Ruins, Cubot and Orbot were with Eggman as he punished the Deadly Six for their failures with the Cacophonic Conch when Sonic arrived and knocked the conch away. As the Deadly Six then rebelled against and attacked everyone present with Badniks, Cubot got his body destroyed, leaving only his head functional. Fortunately, Cubot's head was caught by Orbot, and they soon after escaped with Sonic, Tails and Eggman.
With Orbot serving as his carrier, Cubot left with Orbot and Eggman after they and Sonic and Tails escaped the Deadly Six. When they learned the Deadly Six were using the Extractor to destroy the Earth, however, Cubot, Eggman and Orbot came back and teamed up with Sonic and Tails to stop the Deadly Six before they could destroy the world. Along the way, Cubot briefly got the body of a Crabmeat by Tails, but got mean urges from being attached to a battle bot and nearly killed Tails. When the group got to Sky Road, Cubot got his head attached to Orbot's body by Eggman.
At Lava Mountain, the group was attacked by Zazz and Zomom, who made Cubot and Orbot fall into a lava pit. However, they were saved by Eggman, who faked his death by falling into the same lava pit and then flew them to safety with a jetpack. After Eggman then shut down the Extractor and charged his mech, Cubot and Orbot joined Eggman in his mech as the doctor faced Sonic and Tails but was defeated. After that, Cubot and Orbot followed Eggman to earth when he fell from the Lost Hex where they found him in a hole, though with half of his mustache gone. Cubot was convinced by Orbot to wait telling Eggman about his mustache until he separated them, but Eggman overheard them, scaring Cubot and Orbot away.
Other game appearances
Mario & Sonic series
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
In Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Cubot make several appearances in the game's different events, along with Orbot. In London Party mode, Cubot is one of the helping characters, where sometimes, when placing a sticker on a question mark spot, both Cubot and orbot will appear and copy an existing sticker on that page, placing it in a random spot that is not a question mark. Additionally, Cubot and orbot have their own bonus game, "Orbot And Cubot Tag", where they will try to trap the players in metal cages.
Additionally, when speaking to Metal Sonic in London, Cubot and Orbot will appear above his head and talk to the player instead.
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
In Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Cubot appear alongside Orbot as one of the hosts for the Action and Answer Tour.
Cubot is a good-hearted and easygoing robot despite his alignment. Even though he is supposed to be built with the same CPU as Orbot’s however, he is dim-witted and somehow slow on the uptake; he has no concept of sarcasm and even when things are explained specifically to him, it takes a while for him to catch on. While still a competent henchman, Cubot is talkative, not very serious and generally annoying to those around him. Also, despite his devotion to his master, Cubot is lazy, his behavior having been liken to that of a sloth that cannot be bothered to be woken up, and he will try to get out of doing any work.
Cubot's personality can be affected by whatever accent his voice chip is currently set to, causing him to adapt mannerisms and behavior associated with his accent.
Powers and abilities
Cubot has the ability to retract his body into a travel-sized cube. While in this state, he is fully capable of movements.
Cubot is able to levitate and can move freely through midair. However, he is not able to levitate any higher than a few meters above the ground. He is also capable of projecting holographic videos from his eyes. Cubot also possesses a special skill that lets him change both his personality and accent depending on the voice chip currently inserted into him.
In contrast to Orbot's dislike of their creator/boss, Cubot likes and admires Dr. Eggman. Despite getting nothing but mistreatment and abuse from Eggman in return for his services, Cubot has remained genuinely faithful and honest towards him. However, it has been hinted that Cubot has a hard time grasping the fact that Eggman is his boss, prompting him to forget who he is talking to.
Despite his preference for Eggman, Cubot's laziness put him at odds with his master since he would rather avoid work, so he does nothing but upset Eggman. Similarly, Cubot constantly annoys Eggman with his idiocy and voice chip issues. Also, while he might not understand the consequences of upsetting Eggman, Cubot is very much fearful of his wrath.
Like Eggman, Cubot's dimwitted behavior does not sit well with Orbot, who has described having Cubot attached to his body was like a nightmare. When the duo work well together, Orbot usually lets Cubot do all the work while he slacks off, normally without Cubot noticing it. During his time as a disembodied head, Cubot would also be fumbled around by Orbot for his amusement. On the other hand, Cubot is not bothered by Orbot at all and has often referred to him as a close friend of his, a feeling which Orbot ultimately reciprocates.
In other media
Cubot appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its spin-off comics. In this media, Cubot is one of Dr. Eggman's emergency lackeys and personal attendants, along with Orbot. When Snively betrayed Eggman and tried to seize control of the Eggman Empire, Cubot and Orbot were activated to help Eggman capture Snively. After the mission was completed, Cubot and Orbot were permanently instated as Eggman's foremost assistants.
Following the events of Worlds Collide, Cubot and his history became nearly indistinguishable from his game counterpart.
In the Sonic Boom franchise, Cubot is one of Dr. Eggman's service robots, much like in the games. He works alongside Orbot and assists the doctor in his endeavors to conquer the world and destroy Team Sonic. In this media, Cubot is latest in a long line of failed robots known as the Cubot Series.
- Cubot's name is a portmanteau of the words "cube" and "robot".
- Cubot and Orbot share a similar role to that of several Sonic-related television shows, where Eggman has two henchmen who do most of his work, but are rather incompetent in their own right (such as Scratch and Grounder in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sleet and Dingo in Sonic Underground and Decoe and Bocoe in Sonic X)
- If Sonic Colors is set to Japanese, one can see that Cubot's voice chip accents are different - cowboy is said by Orbot to be his ninja setting, the pirate is instead a stereotypical Sumo, the gangster persona is instead a very different little girl who thinks of Eggman as her father, and his original and final voice is actually an old-style rapid-talking Japanese comedian.
- In Sonic Colors, Cubot speaks as if he and Orbot had been around much longer than from Sonic Colors and onward. The most telling quote is "he stops you like it's his job or something, in fact I can't remember a plan he didn't stop" to Eggman, seemingly retroactively implying that the two have been around for several of Eggman's previous endeavors despite not appearing. In the second instance he says "Did we destroy Sonic this time? Duh, sorry, dumb question! We never destroy Sonic!" which has the same implications.
- The quote "he stops you like it's his job or something, in fact I can't remember a plan he didn't stop" was possibly referenced in Sonic Generations when Sonic says "No, seriously, we beat this guy every time. It's like it's our job or something!".
- In the CGI intro of Sonic Colors, Cubot is seen with a mug of coffee, which is strange as robots are incapable of drinking.
- In the Wii version of Sonic Colors, Cubot has multiple voice changes, but in the Nintendo DS version, his voice and accent stay the same.
- In the ending cutscene of Sonic Colors, where Cubot, Eggman and Orbot are in space, there was a subtitle error when Cubot says "What's up with those things anyway?" but the subtitles incorrectly said "What's up with those guys anyway?"
- "Yee haw! Git along l'il aliens!" - Cubot chasing a Cyan Wisp and Yacker, who befriend Sonic and Tails.
- "You got it, pardner! Come on 'ere, you little varmints! Come back here!" - Cubot to Orbot. (This quote is strangely not subtitled at all in the cutscene.)
- "That'll be easier. Cheeseburgers don't run as fast as them l'il alien varmints." - Cubot not understanding Eggman's sarcasm when the latter asked him and Orbot to "get him a cheeseburger and a shake" instead of more Wisps.
- "Y'all want fries with that?" - Cubot before getting hit with a wrench, still not understanding Eggman's sarcasm.
- "I reckon that hurt a bit. Wait a minute, I need to go over yonder. Sorry." - Cubot after being hit by the aforementioned wrench in response to the previous quote. (This quote is strangely not subtitled at all in the cutscene.)
- "The bossman said to wrangle every piece o' this mess. When you consider what we're doin' from a robot's point of view, it's actually pretty gruesome." - Cubot to Orbot when they are clearing up the remains of Rotatatron.
- "Iffin' ya say so." - Cubot taking in Orbot's suggestion of not thinking about how "gruesome" clearing up Rotatatron's remains is.
- "Naw. But, really, how much can it matter?" - Cubot when asked by Orbot about the absence of one of Rotatatron's arms (which damaged Eggman's mind-control cannon without him knowing it).
- "Y'all reckon you'll be able to get yerself 'nuff o' that energy to take over the whole dang planet?" - Cubot doubting Eggman's intentions before his first voice chip change.
- "Yar! Feelin' ship-shape with me new voice chip, I am. Ah-beggin' yer pardon, Squire, but me and my matey are going to sail off an' search fer that lubber Sonic. Arr!" - Cubot happy about his new voice chip before speeding off in Sonic Colors.
- "Arr! Shiver me timbers!" - Cubot during the cutscene where the Deadly Six betray Eggman in Sonic Lost World.
- "Yeah, I laugh last all the time. People look at me like I'm an idiot. Fogetaboutit!" - Cubot getting Orbot's joke about "Being the slowest one to get the joke."
- "You talkin' to me?" - Cubot when Eggman tells him he is an idiot.
- "Yo, quit bustin' my batteries over here, I been working on it all day." - Cubot after Eggman angrily asks "Why haven't we fixed your voice chip?!"
- "Yo, what do you mean impossible? Your plans have been crushed by Sonic for like, eh, ever. He stops you like it's his job or somethin'. In fact, I can't remember a plan he didn't stop." - Cubot when Eggman throws a tantrum over the mind-control cannon backfiring.
- "Thank you buddy. Hey! My voice... IT'S BACK! Alright!" - When he gets his voice back in Sonic Colors (Wii)
- "I feel like my old self. All I want to do is talk, talk, talk." - In the ending of Sonic Colors.
- "Hey, remember when we were chasing those little alien guys? What's up with those things anyway? They sure were funny looking! Hahaha! Smelled good, though..." - In the ending of Sonic Colors (Wii)
- "Oh, I wish we had some sushi! Oh hey, I heard they started using fish. Bummer, we did bring any with us! Not that we could eat it since we're robots but we could have looked at it! I love looking at stuff! I love stuff!" - In the ending of Sonic Colors (Wii)
- "Hey, the fireworks show at the end was great! How'd you get everything to blow up like that? LOVED IT!"
- "By the way did we destroy Sonic this time? Duh, sorry, dumb question! We never destroy Sonic! Ooh, look at that star, and look at that one, ooh, look at that..." - In the ending of Sonic Colors (Wii)
- "He must really love those things!" - Cubot noticing Sonic trying to hit the capsule in the opening cutscene for Sonic Lost World.
- "Oh yeah, that's the stuff! Feed me, baby! Glug glug glug! I'm feeling stronger by the second!" - Cubot drinking the juice gained from extracting the Earth's energy in Sonic Lost World.
- "Aww. Why'd you stop boss? I felt great!" - Cubot after Eggman orders Cubot to shut down the Extractor in Sonic Lost World.
- "I can't feel my legs" - Cubot after Orbot places his head on the headless snowman he made.
- "Oh, I don't know. Being a robot's not so bad." - Cubot trying to reassure Sonic after he realizes that the Deadly Six are going to turn Tails into a robot.
- "Uh, why can't we tell him about his mustache?" - Cubot asking why they can't tell him about Dr. Eggman's half eaten mustache.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Orbot & Cubot. Sega (21 October 2016). Retrieved on 21 October 2016.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Sonic Colors (Wii) European instruction booklet, pg. 9.
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzbD7KvHbRI
- ↑ Sonic Team (October 18, 2013). Sonic Lost World. Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Sky Road. Cutscene: The Enemy Of My Enemy Is...?.
- ↑ Sonic Team, Dimps (November 12, 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Starlight Carnival. "Cubot: Who's this guy? Heh, he looks like a hardboiled egg with a mustache! / Dr. Eggman: You bucket of bolts! One little experiment and you forget who I am? / Orbot: I wouldn't say "forget." He never seemed to grasp that you were his boss."