|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Dark Arms are an alien species that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They are a genetically-fixed sub-breed of the Black Arms, that were harvested from the Wisps, under the orders of Eclipse the Darkling; their original purpose was to feed off the living beings of Sonic's World, in order to grow into the future, stronger generation of the Black Arms.
Origin and Shadow Fall
The Dark Arms are a genetically-fixed sub-breed of the Black Arms, using some samples of the Wisp species and harvesting them for Eclipse the Darkling's grand scheme. As they were placed in a hatchery located aboard the New Black Comet, the Dark Arms were originally meant to travel to Sonic's World so that they may feast on the lives of countless people and animals to become the future, stronger generation of the Black Arms. However, thanks to Team Dark–Shadow the Hedgehog, Rouge the Bat, and E-123 Omega–and the Spider Troupe, the New Black Comet was destroyed, but Eclipse and the Dark Arms eggs were planted within an escape pod, as they crash landed on Red Mountain Zone located in Angel Island.
After crash landing in the mountains, Eclipse was horrified to see that in the crash the Dark Arms' eggs were destroyed; however, upon hearing nearby noises, he realized that four of the eggs had successfully hatched, and thus, the four remaining Dark Arms–Blurk, Cregal, Cyzer, and Rhygenta–were then tamed and were raised by Eclipse, as he swore vengeance on Team Dark, especially Shadow. After an unspecified amount of time, Eclipse had finished feeding the Dark Arms, only to discover that Rouge, Omega, and a "red-one" were searching for him. Eclipse, after hearing Shadow being name-dropped, decided to make a quick trip to obliterate Shadow, while he left the Dark Arms for a short time. While Eclipse had ambushed, and failed, at destroying Shadow, the Dark Arms were nearly uncovered by Knuckles, Rouge, and Omega. Luckily, Omega received the news of Eclipse attacking Shadow, and thus the three heroes left, leaving the Dark Arms unharmed.
Eclipse had returned to the shuttle where he resided and found the Dark Arms thankfully unharmed. He then realized that the Dark Arms, while still very young, were prepared to fight against the heroes and prepare the conquest of the planet. Eclipse and the Dark Arms arrived at the Shrine Isle, where only Rouge, Omega, a G.U.N. Beetle (operated by Doctor Snively), Fixit, and Relic the Pika remained (Knuckles and Shadow had gotten into a fight over the subject of taking custody of the Master Emerald, and thus had ended up at Azure Lake Zone). Eclipse used the Dark Arm Powers of Blurk, Cregal, and Cyzer to subdue each individual that he would deem a threat, and began to head to the Master Emerald, to steal it for his own malicious intentions. Once they had stolen the Master Emerald, the Dark Arms and Eclipse headed to Team Dark's G.U.N. shuttle, only to be faced with the opposition of Knuckles and Shadow. Blurk, Cregal and Cyzer used all their strength in the fight but soon became worn out. With this, Rhygenta aided Eclipse with the power of its Sonic Cannon. This put Knuckles and Shadow down long enough for all of them to escape from the island.
Powers and abilities
The Dark Arms, much like the species they were harvested from, possess a unique version of the Wisps' power, known as the "Dark Arm Power", which allows them to be absorbed into an individual and cause a minor "mutation" in the individual in order to grant them different powers. Since only four Dark Arms are left in existence, the Dark Arm Powers are very limited. The known Dark Arm Powers are:
- Armor: Blurk's Dark Arm Power; grants the user a dark blue, organic bulletproof "coating" over their entire body.
- Laser: Cyzer's Dark Arm Power; transforms the user's hands into organic cyan-hued "gloves" with an eye on the palm of their hand, granting the user the ability to shoot lasers.
- Sonic Cannon: Rhygenta's Dark Arm Power; transforms one of the user's arms into a magenta-hued cannon (with an eye at the end) that is capable of unleashing a devastating sonic attack.
- Wing: Cregal's Dark Arm Power; transmutates the user's hands into crimson-hued wings, allowing the user to fly through the air.
- Interestingly, the Dark Arms share some similarities to the Wispons featured in Sonic Forces:
- Both are derivatives of the Wisps. (but unlike the Dark Arms, the Wispons are inanimate, handheld tools)
- Both weaponize the Color Powers of the Wisps.
- Both do not cause an actual transformation in the users. (but unlike the Wispons, the Dark Arms cause minor, physical mutations in the user)
- The Dark Arms, like the Wisps, seem to possess their own language.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Universe #69 - "Total Eclipse - Part Three: Shadow Boxing"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #62 - "Shadow Fall - Part Four: A Matter of Survival"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #67 - "Total Eclipse - Part One: Uninvited Guests"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #68 - "Total Eclipse - Part Two: Tipping Point"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #70, "Total Eclipse Part Two: Last Resort"