|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic X anime or comic continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Template:Character (Sonic X) Dark Sonic (ダーク・ソニック Dāku Sonikku?), also known as Dark Super Sonic, is Sonic's darker and angrier form. His first and only appearance was in the 67th episode of the TV show Sonic X when Cosmo is scared and Chris is injured by Black Narcissus of the Metarex. The multitude of Fake Chaos Emeralds and Sonic's intense anger allowed him to achieve this state. While in this state, Sonic shows his fury by destroying the two prototype Metarex that Black Narcissus pits against him in order to test his strength and speed.
Powers and Abilities
Sonic achieved this form when his intense rage was (theoretically) manifested by the multitude of Fake Chaos Emeralds in the factory beneath him. He gained his rage by seeing Chris injured and unconscious, and seeing Cosmo terrified. Seeking vengeance, Dark Sonic is completely consumed by it. He quickly destroys both of the machines the Metarex were using to test Sonic and takes a sadistic pleasure in doing so (indicated by his mad cackling and evil grin). Sonic powers down when he is calmed by Doctor Eggman, who says Sonic normally acts much better and more positive than this. He also says that if Sonic stays like that, he'll be angry all the time like Shadow the Hedgehog.
Appearance and Powers
Dark Sonic looks similar to Super Sonic, except he has a bluish-black color, a blue aura, and no pupils or irises when he is at his true power. He demonstrates lightspeed as he tears through a robot multiple times, simply by dashing through it, while appearing only as a blur. He is also very strong, as he makes dents in metal and caves in a robot's face with one punch.
Dark Sonic seems to relish the prospect of murdering the two prototype Metarex, as shown by his demonic grin and mad cackle. In this form, Sonic's rage is out of control and he has even gained the intention to kill. However, he can still control his actions to an extent.
- This transformation does not actually have an official name. It is most commonly called "Dark Sonic", but some fans also use the name "Dark Super Sonic" due to its similar appearance to Super Sonic.
- As soon as Sonic turns Dark, his voice sounds slightly lower.
- Dark Sonic and Darkspine Sonic are similar in that they are both transformations that are provoked by negative emotions, as well as having similar names and appearances.
- Although Eggman said that he had "never seen you [Sonic] this worked up before", he did not seem to be surprised or frightened by the transformation. Rather, he seemed more disappointed than anything.
- Sonic's black palette-swap in Super Smash Bros. Brawl bears a strong resemblance to Dark Sonic in mid-transformation.
- When Dark Sonic shows his face for the first time, music that sounds like the Sonic X theme for Shadow the Hedgehog plays shortly before Dark Sonic takes off into battle.