Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Darkspine Sonic (ダークスパインソニック Dākusupain Sonikku?) is one of Sonic the Hedgehog's transformations, appearing in Sonic and the Secret Rings. Rather than using the Chaos Emeralds, he uses the World Rings of rage, hatred and sadness to transform. In this form, Sonic is slightly more sinister and violent due to the influence of the World Rings' sealed feelings. He is playable in the final battle against Alf Layla wa-Layla, an enhanced form of Erazor Djinn.
In this form, Sonic's fur and arms become a deep indigo color, and his skin turns pale white. He gains as well a white stripe around his feet and wrists, and two thick, white parallel stripes that go up his forehead and down his middle quills. In addition, Sonic's pupils and irises disappear entirely and his quills hang lower than usual. In terms of attire, Sonic loses his trademark gloves and shoes and instead gains four golden glowing rings around his wrists and ankles. His voice undergoes a slight change, becoming more demonic, but maintains Sonic's pitch. He is also constantly enveloped by a flaming orange aura.
Powers and abilities
In this form, Sonic has increased physical strength, enough to send Alf Layla wa-Layla's strongest attack back at him with brute force alone. He also obtains the power of high-speed flight.
As Darkspine Sonic, Sonic is granted pyrokinetic abilities, allowing him to create and control fire, though it is not shown to what extent. In combat, Darkspine Sonic can create concentrated flames on his hands and feet to amplify the destructive force behind his attacks, and form highly powerful bursts of flames. His attacks are also more close-combat, as opposed to the boosting and energy moves that Super Sonic uses. Darkspine Sonic is also able to perform Time Break and Speed Break without relying on the magic of Shahra's Ring and can generate the Soul he needs for these moves himself.
As the World Rings are what keep the world of the Arabian Nights together, it appears that Darkspine Sonic is capable of warping the reality of the Arabian Nights' universe; with but a flick of his wrist, Sonic was able to revert Erazor Djinn's realm back to normal while expelling the World Rings from his body.
Unlike the traditional Super State, Darkspine Sonic is not invulnerable, meaning he can still get hurt by standard attacks. In return though, he does not burn through Rings to maintain this form.
- "We've got to... stop him! Shahra... Please! Lend me your... POWER!"
- —Darkspine Sonic before the final battle.
- "If this is your world, then it's a world I don't want any part of!"
- —Darkspine Sonic before fighting Alf Layla wa-Layla.
- "HA! How's this for an introduction then?"
- —Darkspine Sonic deflecting Alf Layla wa-Layla's Spirit Blast
- "Your tale is finished, Erazor! Next time, try writing a better story!"
- —Darkspine Sonic after defeating Alf Layla wa-Layla.
- Darkspine Sonic is one of three transformations Sonic has undergone that were unintentional, the other two being Sonic the Werehog and Excalibur Sonic.
- Darkspine Sonic can be considered the second form of Sonic that was not attained using Chaos Emeralds.
- It is possible that Darkspine Sonic is an incomplete transformation, as he only used three of the seven World Rings. Thus, it can be assumed that by using all seven World Rings, Sonic will be at his strongest.
- It is believed that Darkspine Sonic's pyrokinetic powers were inspired both by the fact that the original title of the game was intended to be 'Sonic Wildfire' and the recurring use of fire based techniques by Sonic in-game.
- In Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, the answer to one of the Shy Guy's questions that concerned Darkspines was that 'Darkspines controlled fire'.
- Darkspine Sonic's voice may have been the inspiration for the voice of Sonic the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed, as both their angry speech patterns and gruff vocal characteristics are strikingly similar. His voice also sounds similar to Jet the Hawk at times. This is no surprise, seeing as they all have the same voice actor.
- When transforming, Sonic was shown to be in pain, making this the first time that Sonic has ever dealt with negative side effects whilst undergoing a transformation.
- Despite this transformation being made out of negative emotions, Sonic seems to maintain relatively his typical attitude. Despite this, he is shown to be undoubtedly much more reckless and ruthless in combat.
- This is the first form in which Sonic seems to have neither gloves nor shoes, though this is simply a matter of them being the same color as his fur (He definitely still has shoes, evidence being the white stripe and overall shape)