Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
They'll pay for this... they're all gonna pay! Wuhahahahaha! Do you want fries with that?
— Dave the Intern, "Double Doomsday"
Dave the Intern, real name David, is a minor antagonist in the Sonic Boom franchise. He is an anthropomorphic teenage nutria and small-time crook working at Meh Burger. He is also a founding member of the Lightning Bolt Society. Living with his mother, he aspires to become a super villain despite his extreme shortcomings and constant ridicule from people who see him as a loser.
Concept and creation
Dave was originally intended as a one-shot character for the plot of "Double Doomsday". However, due to Dave and Eggman requiring a meeting place for the plot, the staff made Dave an employer at Meh Burger. From there, his character was further developed until he became a recurring character.
Dave is a tall and skinny anthropomorphic nutria about half of Dr. Eggman's height. He has aqua fur with bangs mimicking a hairline, cowlicks on his head and neck, green eyes, and an almost complete white muzzle. He also possesses a wide black nose, three freckles/zits on each cheek, and two overly large buck teeth. For standard attire, he wears a lavender shirt with yellow leaf-markings and a name tag on it, white gloves, and a pair of red and cyan sneakers. He also has two braces on his buck teeth.
When attending the Lightning Bolt Society, Dave wears a purple robe with a long hood and a red fez emblazoned with the Lightning Bolt Society's symbol. Dave also has a costume created in the likeness of his super villain persona, which include a cardboard box cutout as a helmet, a table cloth for a cape, brown gloves, and blue covers strapped to his shoes. As a waiter in Meh Burger's VIP room, Dave's wardrobe includes a red jacket worn over a white shirt.
Living at home, Dave would constantly be pestered by his mother to become a villain, but could never live up to her expectations. During Dr. Eggman's infamous carrier, Dave became a fan of the doctor and aspired to become like him. When attending his junior prom, Dave spent the entire event standing alone in the corner while his classmates had fun. Eventually, Dave helped found the Lightning Bolt Society, a group of low-time crooks, of which he became a member. With his lodge, Dave would search Eggman's trash for noteworthy weapons.
After a year and a half in the fast food industry, Dave met Eggman at his work at Meh Burger where he managed to impress Eggman and become his intern. While working at Dr. Eggman's lair, Dave heard Cubot's dislike of him and dismantled the robot in secret. Dave was soon promoted to Eggman's protégée, but when Eggman told him to wait for the bigger projects, Dave snapped and locked himself in Eggman's lab where he activated the countdown on Eggman's Doomsday Device to prove himself a villain. As he and Eggman then competed over who could destroy the planet best, Tails came to help Dave improve his device. In truth, however, it was a trap which rendered Dave's Doomsday Device moot. Dave was then fired by Eggman and he returned to his old job, swearing revenge.
Back at work, Dave once made an order for Eggman, only for the doctor to take it without paying. Dave and the rest of the Lightning Bolt Society later got the news that Tails destroyed an orchard. Thinking it meant Tails was evil, the group recruited him after Dave helped Tails reseed the orchard with the Mutant Seed Gun and made him their new leader at their clubhouse. As Tails revealed he was not evil though, Sonic, Amy and Eggman broke into the club, and Dave was commandeered by Eggman to attack Sonic. However, his attempts utterly failed and the heroes got away.
In the Village, Dave and the villagers were sold Eggman's Tomato Sauce by Eggman himself. After Sonic involuntary proved it was safe, Dave bought some sauce cans. A few weeks later however, he was attacked by his workplace's cash register, which had been turned into a weapon by Eggman's sauce cans. Fortunately, he was saved by Team Sonic who put a stop to Eggman's scheme. While later at work, Dave served his last chili dogs to Fastidious and Sonic. As Dave revealed his chili dog status to Eggman when the doctor tried getting one, he mentioned they had more at the warehouse, setting Sonic off to appease Eggman. Nonetheless, Dave continued serving Sonic, Knuckles and Tails when they came to Meh Burger.
Meeting with up with the Lightning Bolt Society, Dave learned from the Tree Spy that Eggman had left his lair. Dave and the Lightning Bolts thus took over the lair, but could not figure out its systems, and, in the process, launched many random attacks on Seaside Island. Dave in particular shut down Orbot and Cubot. As Team Sonic and Eggman tried to stop them, Dave and his associates prepared an ambush after seeing them on surveillance, but had to flee when the unlikely allies outsmarted them. One time when Dave provided Amy with poor service, he ended up competing with Chez Amy over Meh burger's customers. Using various gimmicks, Dave gained the upper hand, but was later left unemployed when Amy's partner, Dr. Eggman, who was upset about Dave's service too, blew up Meh Burger. Dave was soon hired by Amy, but his poor service of Eggman drove the villain to attack him and Chez Amy. Though Dave survived, Chez Amy was ruined, but Team Sonic helped Dave rebuilt Meh Burger, giving Dave his job back. It was later with some glee that Dave helped Mayor Fink banish Sonic when he lost a race to Swifty the Shrew. He soon after voted against the Village Council's decision to bring Sonic back and have him stop Eggman, but it was for naught. As the annual Chili Dog Cook-Off arrived, Dave was confident he would win even though Sonic could easy discern his "secret chili recipe" when he bragged to Team Sonic.
Dave eventually went to Knuckles while he served as deputy major to have him outlaw cheap sandwiches so that Meh Burger could stay in business and he could keep his job, but his proposal was ejected. As Dave continued his job at Meh Burger, he was hired by Eggman to serve as the caterer and an actor on his movie set, where Dave portrayed Sonic. However, he was demoted once the real Sonic took over his role. When Dave and the village were in a uproar over Sonic's supposed insensitivity, Dave provided Sonic with poor service at Meh Burger as retribution. Attending the Lightning Bolt Society later, Dave and his lodge learned from the Tree Spy that Sonic had retired and Team Sonic was out of town, so they used this chance to harass the Village. However, after they set a sheep stampede loose, Sonic returned to stop their activities. As Dave moped over being showed up, he and his lodge were forced to attend Amy's sensitivity seminar after Willy Walrus made an offensive comment. While at work later on, Dave met an alternate Knuckles who mistook him for someone else, much Dave's disinterest.
Under his mother's nagging, Dave sought to live out his supervillain dreams by destroying Team Sonic, but all his attempts failed to even get their attention. As Eggman then condescendingly showed Dave his new Electrocage, Dave accidentally knocked out Eggman. Dave took this chance to imprison Eggman in his cage and announce himself as Eggman's successor to the public. When Sonic mocked him though, Dave brought out Octopus Bot. However, he could not control the robot and had to be saved by Team Sonic, who also freed Eggman. In the process, Dave smashed his mother's house, which finally made her acknowledge him as a villain. When New Year's Eve then arrived, Dave worked a late-night shift at Meh Burger to serve the guests visiting the Village Center.
Continuing his job, Dave brought Tails his raw steak at Meh Burger when he tried to impress Zooey, only to embarrass Tails in front of her when giving him his "Hello Doggy" toy. Dave and his "bro" Lady Walrus later came to the auditions for Bro-Down Showdown and got chosen for participation. Thanks to their good relationship and some well-timed disqualifications, Dave and Lady Walus won a new couch which they quickly ruined. Another time, while Knuckles was a celebrity, Dave was able to sponsor Knuckles on behalf of Meh Burger after giving him a store discount. When Sonic was believed to have become a thief, Dave joined an angry mob at the town hall. After Knuckles volunteered to find Sonic, Dave and some villagers followed him to help. After losing Knuckles and Sonic, Dave's group kept looking for the latter while the former proven his innocence in the meantime.
Dave would later participate in the Robot Battle Royale using a deep-frier robot of his own making. However, he lost to Tails' Hypno-bot in the first round. When the Fuzzy Puppies craze came, Dave quickly became a fan and had many meetings with his Fuzzy Puppy fan group, who helped their fellow fan Eggman learn the game. At Puppy Con though, Dave got arrested when the Lightning Bolt Society seemingly attacked with a rockslide, although it turned out Eggman had framed him. Dave could thus resume his job at Meh Burger. When Team Sonic then put up A Rose Without Thorns, Dave was given the lead role of "Annie Rose." Alongside the team, Dave put on quite a show, though as a storm began after the finale, he took Sonic's offer to seek shelter in Amy's House. Dave would later stay impartial as the new supervillain Charlie began bullying Knuckles. He later came to see a fight between them, a fight which Knuckles won.
Dave soon after joined the Lightning Bolt Society and other local villains at a meeting held by Eggman at his lair, who wanted them to form a team to beat Team Sonic. After some leadership disputes leading to team exercises, Dave helped encourage Eggman to lead the group so they could prove themselves after Shadow the Hedgehog had left the group criticizing them. At the attack on Team Sonic, Dave joined his faction of Team Eggman for an ambush on Amy and Sticks, but was beaten.
Acting as public spokesman, Dave announced action star Tommy Thunder's public appearance at Meh Burger when he came for promotion. Dave later treated Tommy and his associates to an elegant dinner in Meh Burger's exclusive VIP room, but denied the room's existence when the associates returned alone. Hearing later that an asteroid would impact the earth, Dave showed up to buy a spot in Eggman's bunker to ride out the impending apocalypse in. Although Dave did not get a spot, Team Sonic would stop the asteroid.
Overall, Dave is a complex individual. Outward, he is a nerdy, dorky and awkward teenager who still likes playing with action figures. He is also a devout fan-boy and suck-up, being overly enthusiastic about any menial task given to him by the subject of his admiration. Apparently unhappy with his job, Dave acts rather mindless and indifferent on his workplace in the fast-food business, paying little interest to the customers' needs and displaying sloppy dedication to his work. Regardless, Dave does care about his job on some level; he sank into a depression after Meh Burger was destroyed, and once grew anxious over being late for a shift. He will also not sit around when his workplace is threatened. His lack of overall enthusiasm. however, has left him with a near-constant moody expression. As a waiter in Meh Burger's VIP room however, Dave acts in a much more professional manner, exhibiting polite and gentleman-like behavior.
Beneath Dave's non-threatening exterior, he is an angry, terrible, and mentally unstable kid who seeks absolute anarchy and world destruction. He is driven by an overly ambitious goal of becoming a super villain, a dream which he lives out with a vivid and great imagination. Though he is small-minded and not very clever as his evil schemes rarely amount to anything threatening, he is still ruthless and merciless in his own, if not shortsighted, way; when hearing Cubot's dislike of him, he coldly dismantled him, and when Eggman told him to wait for the bigger projects, he snapped and would go as far as to destroy the world to prove himself evil. Because no one shows him any respect though, Dave is at constant odds with other people as he just want to be bad, which makes him lash out in anger. He can also be vengeful, promising retribution at whoever gets in his way.
Powers and abilities
In addition to poor health and below average physical skills, Dave has no special powers. However, he has a vivid and great imagination and some stander planning skills, but lacks the resources and IQ to go through with them. He does have a few skills at robotics though, having constructed a primitive robot with an A.I. He is also skilled at marketing, being able to keep Meh Burger as the top establishment in the Village using various gimmicks despite Meh Burger's mediocre standards.
Dave wields a few quirky firearms which he uses with sufficient accuracy. He once acquired the Mutant Seed Gun which was thrown out by Dr. Eggman after he deemed it a failure. He also wields a Meh Burger cannon which he uses to both deliver food to customers and as a somewhat ineffective projectile weapon.
Dave is a big fan of Dr. Eggman and knows all his work. In fact, when Eggman let him be his unpaid intern, Dave considered it an honor and loved doing all his menial tasks. However, when Eggman told him to wait a few weeks before he could work on the bigger subjects, Dave's admiration of Eggman turned into hatred and they ended up competing for who could build the better Doomsday Device to show the other up. After Eggman fired him, Dave swore revenge against the doctor and is willing to overthrow him and take his place as the dominant supervillain of Seaside Island. Nonetheless, he is shown to still be willing to occasionally align himself with the doctor.
Mrs. Dave's Mom
Dave had a very strained relationship with his mother. In addition to being irritated over her degradation of his interests and childish treatment, Dave lived long under the pressure from her expectations for him to become a villain. Because he is not very competent though, Dave would get no appreciation from her, prompting Dave to lash out at her in the belief she thought he was a loser. Nonetheless, Dave always obeys his mother's orders, like when she told him to stay away from the Lightning Bolt Society. Deep down, all Dave wants is to make her proud of him, prompting him to take extensive actions to prove his maliciousness. He eventually did when he destroyed their house.
Dave is very close friends with Lady Walrus, so much that they won Bro-Down Showdown which test partners of their knowledge of each other, showing they are very familiar with each other They both view each other as "bros" and have their own fistbump. Despite the ridicule Dave receives about their "bro-lationship," he does not like to label it.
- Dr. Eggman
- Team Sonic
- "Sorry, I'm on break."
- —Dave's response when people complain about his service, "Chez Amy"
- "Oh yeah. Anarky, baby! Woo hoo!"
- —Dave in glee over committing evil, "Just a Guy"
- "I'm sick of everyone saying I am worthless."
- —Dave's opinion on others, "Next Top Villain"
- Dave has played a member of Team Sonic on two occasions, the first being Sonic and the second being Amy.
- Dave has asthma.
- Dave works at Meh Burger for less than a minimum wage.
- Dave is the only member of the Lightning Bolt Society with a revealed relative.
- Dave has mentioned his junior prom, implying that he is a high school senior, or at the very least, almost done with his junior year.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (November 29, 2014). Retrieved on 29 November 2014. “Sonic the Hedgehog: Fun fact: Dave the Intern is voiced by Roger Craig Smith, who is also the voice of Sonic! #SonicBoom”
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Harrison, Reid (1 August 2015). "Next Top Villain". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 37. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (19 August 2015). Retrieved on 20 August 2015. “the sonic rebel fan: what kind of animal is Dave the intern & was he base on someone ? / Bill Freiberger: Dave is a Nutria.”
- ↑ Sonic Revolution 2016: PART 6 - Sonic Boom Panel. YouTube. Sonic Revolution (22 June 2016). Retrieved on 29 June 2016.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Milano, Dan (7 March 2015). "How to Succeed in Evil Without Really Trying". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 16. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (29 October 2016). "Tommy Thunder: Method Actor". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 53. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Banker, Mark; Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (29 November 2014). "Double Doomsday". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 7. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (14 November 2015). "It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 52. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (28 February 2015). "Aim Low". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 15. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (21 March 2015). "Dr. Eggman's Tomato Sauce". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 18. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Gutierrez, Freddie (2 May 2015). "Late Fees". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 24. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (9 May 2015). "Into the Wilderness". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 25. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reed (16 May 2015). "Eggman Unplugged". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 26. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Harrison, Reid (13 July 2015). "Chez Amy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 27. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Lieblich, Doug (14 July 2015). "Blue With Envy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 28. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (16 July 2015). "Chili Dog Day Afternoon". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 30. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (20 July 2015). "Mayor Knuckles". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 32. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 Freiberger, Sam (21 July 2015). "Eggman the Auteur". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 33. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (22 July 2015). "Just a Guy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 34. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Moarbes, Charles-Henri (23 July 2015). "Two Good to Be True". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 35. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (8 August 2015). "New Year's Retribution". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 38. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Harrison, Reid (22 August 2015). "Tails' Crush". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 40. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (5 September 2015). "Late Night Wars". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 42. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (19 September 2015). "It Wasn't Me, It Was the One-Armed Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 44. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Van Liemt, Romain; Grenier, Benoit (26 September 2015). "Robot Battle Royale". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 45. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (10 October 2015). "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 47. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (17 October 2015). "Designated Heroes". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 48. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Harrison, Reid (31 October 2015). "Cabin Fever". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 50. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (7 November 2015). "Counter Productive". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 51. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Sellner, Joelle (19 November 2016). "Spacemageddonocalypse". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 54. Boomerang.
- ↑ Sonic Boom #5, "Eggtoberfest!"
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (1 August 2015). Retrieved on 3 August 2015. “Bill Freiberger: Dave is a complex character”
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Moarbes, Charles-Henri (29 August 2015). "Bro-Down Showdown". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 41. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (1 August 2015). Retrieved on 3 August 2015. “Bill Freiberge: He just wants to be bad, i that so wrong?”